New Guy- First Post-

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Wilsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Guy- First Post-

Post by James Wilsey »

Longtime lurker, first time poster..

Just thought I'd introduce myself before asking a bunch of questions....

My name is James Wilsey- I'm primarily a guitar player. I played guitar with Chris Isaak for 12 years and made 4 albums with him. I played the lead gtr on Wicked Game, also sequenced the rhythm track for that song in Performer (pre DP).

I have used Performer (before DP) since version 1, but not for much for several years. I'm embarking on a new (solo) album- I plan to record drums in a Pro-Tools studio, take the tracks home and edit and overdub in DP. I have DP 5.1 and the features (and manual) are somewhat daunting.

I need to get an interface soon- I haven't decided which one yet....

Anyway- lots of great info here and I'm sure I'll be visiting more often as this project gets underway-

Cheers!
Jw
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

Hi and welcome. I love my 828 MK2. Therre are some mods that can be done to it really beef it up. http://www.blacklionaudio.com/index.html.
I haven't done this yet but word is it is very good and I will do this when I get through my next project. I have done all my drums in the studio in PT playing to a scratch track, had them compiled to 1:1:000 and then imported them right into DP. Works great.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
RCory

Post by RCory »

Welcome James - you'll find lotsa helpful folks 'round here.

Good luck

C
Mr_Clifford

Re: New Guy- First Post-

Post by Mr_Clifford »

James Wilsey wrote:I played the lead gtr on Wicked Game, also sequenced the rhythm track for that song in Performer (pre DP).
Man, that guitar line was one of THE lead guitar moments of the last 20 years! And at a time when everyone else was playing Jackson, Kramer & Ibanez. I guess Fender doesn't pay you a royalty for helping re-popularize the Strat.

I don't suppose you feel like giving up some of your guitar tone secrets on the forum?
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
Phil Jeffers

Post by Phil Jeffers »

Hi James, so humble for a musician with such cred! Chris Isaak just played in Sydney the other night... my mum has a huge crush I think, she loved the concert. Wicked Game is easily his best work.

Yes DP is a bit daunting isn't it? I'm a long time Pro Tools user who crossed to DP pretty much for its surround mixing capability. I think with any app, it••™s when you need to produce work (rather than just tinkering) that you'll nail it. I bought the Mac Audio Lab DVD which is very helpful. It's a DVD that plays in QT (hard to copy for obvious reasons).

I'd recommend the Mackie Control Universal. There's a whole chapter dedicated to it in the manual and I've had good luck with it here. One of the best features about the MCU is that you can add as many XT extenders (8 extra faders) as you like. I'm about to buy an extra 8 faders.

You might consider getting some extra plug-ins also... there's a few standard MOTU plugs that are cool, but for higher production values I'd recommend some higher end plugs... UAD-1, Power Core, Waves, Altiverb...

Welcome! Unicornation are a friendly and most helpful bunch. They're the best forum. You won't regret the DP 5 decision.

Cheers, Phil J.
taggart

Post by taggart »

Hi James!
I'll put my vote in for the Traveler. Although, one might run out of XLR's sooner than one expects! I do mainly sequencing and vocals/gtr so I've never really missed the extra XLR's.
P.S. Love your work with Chris. Sweet stuff!
Oh, come on! I'm in North Dakota. Let me fawn over and rub "cyber elbows" with a famous person! :D
"Still hayseed enough to say 'Look who's in the big town.'"
Taggart
Mac Mini
DP 11
Reason, and various plug-ins, VI's and such.
James Wilsey

Post by James Wilsey »

Thanks all-

I doubt that I'll need a lot of inputs and outputs- the only thing I'll be actually recording at home is guitars, one at a time...I'm mostly concerned with good quality A/D, and bitrate compatibility with whatever we record in pro-tools- I'm guessing it'll be 24/96. I'll probably be mixing in a 'real' studio too- I don't have the outboard and mixer stuff (and the environment) to do it semi-right.

I've been looking at the Traveler and some of the RME stuff. I think it may be best to go firewire for convenience sake-

I like MIDI and synth programming- but I'm not much of a keyboard player. I guess that's part of the reason I got into performer in the first place. I'll be sequencing quite a bit.

I do know more about guitar than DP at the moment and I'm a longtime Mac-nerd-...In the 80's I was a consultant for Apple on Audio and MIDI stuff, and work as a mac IT consultant now.... I've also spent many years in studios working with very talented engineers and producers- going back to the pre- digital age....And I know some about guitars and amps and stuff- so I hope to have something to offer to the forum in the future.

Anyway, my record is gonna be some instrumental stuff that I've written over the last few years- probably not for everyone, but I'll like it. I have some crappy home demo of a few songs on a myspace page if you're interested- these were done a few years back, (and I like the songs I haven't recorded yet better!) --here's a link-

http://www.myspace.com/themysteriesla

And I've spend some time near the missile silos in Grand Forks ND- but never Australia....

Anyway thanks for the welcome- I'll be making a pest of myself soon.

thanks- jw
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

James Wilsey wrote:Thanks all-

I doubt that I'll need a lot of inputs and outputs- the only thing I'll be actually recording at home is guitars, one at a time...I'm mostly concerned with good quality A/D, and bitrate compatibility with whatever we record in pro-tools- I'm guessing it'll be 24/96. I'll probably be mixing in a 'real' studio too- I don't have the outboard and mixer stuff (and the environment) to do it semi-right.

I've been looking at the Traveler and some of the RME stuff. I think it may be best to go firewire for convenience sake-

I like MIDI and synth programming- but I'm not much of a keyboard player. I guess that's part of the reason I got into performer in the first place. I'll be sequencing quite a bit.

I do know more about guitar than DP at the moment and I'm a longtime Mac-nerd-...In the 80's I was a consultant for Apple on Audio and MIDI stuff, and work as a mac IT consultant now.... I've also spent many years in studios working with very talented engineers and producers- going back to the pre- digital age....And I know some about guitars and amps and stuff- so I hope to have something to offer to the forum in the future.

Anyway, my record is gonna be some instrumental stuff that I've written over the last few years- probably not for everyone, but I'll like it. I have some crappy home demo of a few songs on a myspace page if you're interested- these were done a few years back, (and I like the songs I haven't recorded yet better!) --here's a link-

http://www.myspace.com/themysteriesla

And I've spend some time near the missile silos in Grand Forks ND- but never Australia....

Anyway thanks for the welcome- I'll be making a pest of myself soon.

thanks- jw
Hey James... This thing is made for guy's like US!
www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php
Billster

Post by Billster »

James Wilsey wrote:Thanks all-

I doubt that I'll need a lot of inputs and outputs- the only thing I'll be actually recording at home is guitars, one at a time...I'm mostly concerned with good quality A/D, and bitrate compatibility

Anyway, my record is gonna be some instrumental stuff that I've written over the last few years- probably not for everyone, but I'll like it.
Hey, nice to see you here.

I'm in a very similar boat (without having played with Chris Isaak).

I've done some online collaboration stuff mixing parts recorded by different folks all over the world in whatever software they have (Cubase, PT, whatever), and I've never had a problem with sound quality or time alignment using DP.
logo80

Post by logo80 »

Hi and welcome! it's a pleasure to have people like you on this forum!
Regards, Lorenzo
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

hello, and welcome! i would second the traveler recommendation. it integrates very nicely with DP for monitoring, and will support the bitrates you're looking for. for higher sound quality (though i have no real issues with it as-is), the Black Lion mods are really supposed to kick things up a couple notches.
also, what kind of machine are you going to be using (ppc or intel, desktop, laptop)?

incidentally, if i'm not mistaken, it's your fault i got a strat plus! i remember reading an article where you were talking about them, and i finally found one...it's one of my fave guitars ever! still really dig 'kings of the highway'....

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

hi and welcome .....i will suggest RME ,works great w/DP
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Welcome, James.

Phew! Glad my guitar-recording rig isn't in my signature.
A POD and single Variax for all guitar work seems, well, embarrassing!
Doh!

Given time, I'm sure we'll find a way to extract every last ounce of knowledge you have on all things fretted.
Don't worry; it's a painless procedure, although it may help to be a willing participant. :lol:

Enjoy your "new" home. :wink:
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Wilsey

Post by James Wilsey »

I like the Line 6 stuff- I've been using a Toneport with Garageband as a quick and dirty sketchpad for writing... I've been thinking about trying the plugin version w/ DP, once I get underway- I'm sure I'll use a mic an a rusty old tube amp too....My home studio is now in the dining room- the room I used to use became a baby's bedroom a couple of years ago- so micing amps will be a bit of a challenge...

I'm assuming that the AU plugin will run at 24/96 ?

That Apogee unit looks nice, but it's a bit more than I want to budget- I may get a deal on an open box RME, so I'll see if that works out. If not, I'll be looking at the traveler, etc.

It's funny- since I work with macs all of the time I am reluctant to buy one for myself- I do all my work on a powerbook, and gave my 'studio' mac to my wife- I'll likely borrow a G4 1.47 ghz dual from a client for the duration of the project. Hopefully that'll be good for what I need- I'll be running some Virtual synths, Reason, and not doing any heavy duty mixing. I also own a copy of Mach five and may be looking into a copy of MOTU Symphonic Instrument down the line.

And I'll likely be switching computers down the line so that's why I'm leaning towards a firewire interface....

Anyway- I'm still writing and trying finishing up some song starts.

I hope to get some basic sequencing on all the songs done, in case I want to overdub real drums to the sequence as an option. I'll probably start delving into it deeper in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the replies-
Jw