OSX size?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

steadiedhisrifle
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OSX size?

Post by steadiedhisrifle »

Quick question. I just bought an external, and plan to put an emergency partition on there with a boot of OSX as well as diskwarrior. How much room does OSX take up? I've heard you should save anywhere between 6-10 GB for this, but I don't want to partition too much or too little.

*edit: Can't believe I forgot this part. It's 10.4.
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

If you want an emergency partition, why not use the Disk Warrior CD ROM as a start up disk?
steadiedhisrifle

I did that earlier today and after 20 minutes of waiting it still hadn't loaded up. Waiting that long is just silly, so I wanted to have it available on the partition so I can just hit it up when I need to.
emulatorloo

Re: OSX size?

Post by emulatorloo »

steadiedhisrifle wrote:Quick question. I just bought an external, and plan to put an emergency partition on there with a boot of OSX as well as diskwarrior. How much room does OSX take up?
I have a clean install of 10.4 (custom install -- English Language support only, only Apple printer drivers) that is 2.18 GB. You are going to want to leave some room for virtual memory. So maybe 4 or 5 gigs to be safe? dunno. . .

do you really really need to partition the external? Why not just install OS X and only boot from it when you have an emergency?

Post by Klaus »

Virtual memory has brought my mac to halt...
I'm also trying to not waste too much disk space and have made my partitions 5 GB. Normally no problem, but working with video ( rendering ) and opening another video with Quicktime did fill the empty space ( about 2.6 GB ) pretty fast.
It maybe depending on how OS X / application works together in terms of virual memory ?
I thought *only* OS X was responsible to deal with *how* virtual memory is handled, but maybe not ?
I learned not to open apps if physical Ram is used...
Someone chime in please ?
best

Klaus
steadiedhisrifle

Thanks for the suggestion emulatorloo. I'll seriously think about that.

Klaus, is your main Startup drive the one with the small partition? Normally I think you want the drive you actually boot off of to do your normal work to be fairly large. I was only talking about a small partition to run one program.
midiw

Re: OSX size?

Post by midiw »

Take a look at purchasing/using TechToolPro.

TechToolPro allows you to create an emergency startup drive they call eDrive. It takes up about 6 GB. You can boot into that eDrive to do directory repair etc by restarting and holding down the option key and then selecting the TechToolPro eDrive as a restart drive.
Mac OS: Mojave
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

steadiedhisrifle wrote:Thanks for the suggestion emulatorloo. I'll seriously think about that.

Klaus, is your main Startup drive the one with the small partition? Normally I think you want the drive you actually boot off of to do your normal work to be fairly large. I was only talking about a small partition to run one program.
All my different boot partitions are 5 GB.
Different >
- audio apps
- video apps
- test apps
I don't use many or very big apps ...;-)
I'm cloning / restoring bit per bit, same size partitions.

Best

Klaus