MacBook and DP5

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacBook and DP5

Post by giles117 »

Just a quick Note. I upgraded the RAm today in my Low end $1099 MacBook to 2GB. and ran DP5 with w 48track project on my USB 2.0 Drive. Processor idled around 30%. I Still have the stock drive in the MacBook. Ordering a 7200 RPM Jon this weekend.

Basically this puppy screams..... Gonna Grab a Traveler and do some more testing. of Course a UB will be the perfect asset...But for now, till that time...I cam work.

Definitely worth it.

Oh Yeah, the 2GB upgrade cost me $158.00. Not bad at all.

I should add, I was running parallels in the background while DP5 was playing back the track.

For those who dont know, parallels is the Virtual PC for MacIntel at Full speed.....I prefer parallel versus BootCamp. Parallesl creates a harddrive much the same way VPC did. and it is a self-expanding Hard drive.....
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

How did you do this- I didn't think that the universal binary version of DP 5 was out yet. Did you run it under Rosetta?
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Rosetta.
DP 6.02
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

giles117 wrote:Rosetta.
With fx and virtual instruments etc?
Or were you just tracking.
Mind you 48 tracks is pretty amazing under
Rosetta.
Can't wait to see what happens when they make
it native.
jgest

Post by jgest »

how is the heat issue? where did order your ram from? i am seriously contemplating a mac book. Also about the hard drive, will you be tracking to it, or firewire?
thanks
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
My dp inspired music.....
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
emulatorloo

Re: MacBook and DP5

Post by emulatorloo »

giles117 wrote:I should add, I was running parallels in the background while DP5 was playing back the track.

For those who dont know, parallels is the Virtual PC for MacIntel at Full speed.....I prefer parallel versus BootCamp. Parallesl creates a harddrive much the same way VPC did. and it is a self-expanding Hard drive.....
Link to parellels for those who are interested:

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

----
buddhabelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by buddhabelly »

My understanding with Rosetta is the more ram the better. It stores the translated code there.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Heat - It's warmer than my iBook G4, BUT I have held this thing in my lap with my leg uncovered. No Burns yet.

Ram - I Did a www.ramseeker.com search and found the supplier.

Hard Drive - I have been tracking to a USB 2.0 Hard Drive. Havent had the chance to hook up a firewire drive yet. As anyone knows, tracking to a 5400 or 4200 rpm drive is FOOLISH.

VI's - Havnt installed all my goodies. I anticipate it will slow this thing to a crawl. I have played with the MOTU VI's and they work pretty well.

Personally I wouldnt waste my time with VI's on this thing yet. My Main point was the viability of a MacBook instead of a MacBook pro for our useage. When the VI guys finally get intel native, I think we will see real gains. Remember, I am the guy who tracks MIDI in logic and everything else in DP.

BTW Logic 7.2 screams as if I was on my G5 Dual. Nice and speedy. The Intel release of Reason is quite spartan as well.

Hurry up MOTU. Get the UB out. I Love you guys. LOL.....
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

papageno

Post by papageno »

I have 2.0GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB ram and 7200rpm drive (ordered from Apple with Book)
MSI works but has speed issues. Dont try the convolution reverb, convolution in Rosetta is not very handy.

The only UB VIs I could use are
1) Sampler of Logic Pro 1000EUR (+ buy orchestral libraries for about 900EUR)
2) Vienna Symphonic Cube player 3000+ EUR

Both of these require big investment which I am not willing to make now. I have MSI and Kontakt2 (kontakt UB was moved to Q3!). I hope UB MSI will get out in June...

Steinberg is also preparing UB version of HALion. Keep watch...
+372 56222285
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Excuse my ignorance, but what does MSI stand for?
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

papageno

Post by papageno »

giles117 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what does MSI stand for?
M-otu
S-ymphonic
I-nstrument

:)
+372 56222285
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Thanks cuz in my cross platform world, MSI is a motherboard manufacturer. LOL
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

jgest

Post by jgest »

giles117 wrote:Heat - It's warmer than my iBook G4, BUT I have held this thing in my lap with my leg uncovered. No Burns yet.

Ram - I Did a www.ramseeker.com search and found the supplier.

Hard Drive - I have been tracking to a USB 2.0 Hard Drive. Havent had the chance to hook up a firewire drive yet. As anyone knows, tracking to a 5400 or 4200 rpm drive is FOOLISH.

VI's - Havnt installed all my goodies. I anticipate it will slow this thing to a crawl. I have played with the MOTU VI's and they work pretty well.

Personally I wouldnt waste my time with VI's on this thing yet. My Main point was the viability of a MacBook instead of a MacBook pro for our useage. When the VI guys finally get intel native, I think we will see real gains. Remember, I am the guy who tracks MIDI in logic and everything else in DP.

BTW Logic 7.2 screams as if I was on my G5 Dual. Nice and speedy. The Intel release of Reason is quite spartan as well.

Hurry up MOTU. Get the UB out. I Love you guys. LOL.....
So you have run reason on the macbook. How does it compare to a non intell??? I do remember in a prior post that you helped to assure me that the specks of the macbook would smoke my my old titanium 800 g4 to the point of not missing the macbook pro.........Then I read about the heat issues and started to doubt my self agian. I'm glad your posting your experiences, itt is far more within my budget that a mac book pro.

Philly..............used to live on spruce and 10th.
Macbook pro, 3 gigs of ram, osx 10.62, Dp 5.13, Live 8.1.2, Reason 4, Tc powercore Virus, Albino 3.02, proper ergonomic sitting posture, plenty of coffee (french press only with a pinch of cardamon added)
http://www.myspace.com/aislingbeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/wigginsmaroo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Reason 3.05 on this lowly macbook feels the same as when run on my G5 Dual. Actually I think it runs a tad more efficiently.

I sat in LAX on Sunday for 1.5 hours with the laptop in my lap while watching movies. Heat didnt bother me at all. I had on Jogging pants (Shorts) AS I have also stated, I sat with this thing in my lap (system on my bare leg) and it didnt BURN me. Actually, it felt good on my leg.

And yes this thing will kill your old Tit G4. You MUST upgrade the memory. 512MB is a Joke.
DP 6.02
Euphonix MC Control

jgest

Post by jgest »

:) thanks for helping me stay in my budget.