DIGITAL PERFORMER WITH G4 400 MHZ AND OS 9.2

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

LEANDRO KEHL
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DIGITAL PERFORMER WITH G4 400 MHZ AND OS 9.2

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

Dear friends, I am a Brazilian musician and I tried to install DP 2.6 on a G4 with system 9.2, when I tried to acess DP appears a error message (bomb crashes) error type 10 or 11 & CHK error, also sometimes appears errors type 2 or 3, someone know what I have to do? For now I do not use MIDI interface and I do not have a sound card installed, I will try to use the Sound Manager. Thanks a lot.
belexes

Post by belexes »

It may not be what you want to do - but it's really time to move to OSX.
System 9 is getting very obsolete.
LEANDRO KEHL

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

belexes wrote:It may not be what you want to do - but it's really time to move to OSX.
System 9 is getting very obsolete.
Okay Belexes, but I was in use DP 2.6 with a G3 266 playing MIDI and recording audio (I had a Audiomedia III installed on it with Mac OS 9.2), for now I want to upgrade all my devices to G4 and DP 2.6, do you know what type of problem is this? I wrote to tech support of MOTU but for now I don't have reply. I tried to disable extensions, reinstall the OS, reinstall DP, test memory RAM, if have any suggestion I'll be glad. Thanks a lot.

* I need a MIDI interface to open the program?
midiw

Post by midiw »

Just a few thoughts here:

Have you increased the memory ( miniumum/preferred ) allocation of the application to be at least twice the suggested size ? Single click the DP 2.6 application and then get information ( apple command key + letter I ).

I'm sure you know all that stuff but just thought I would mention it.

How much RAM does your G4 have ?

You don't need a MIDI interface to run the application.
Mac OS: Mojave
LEANDRO KEHL

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

midiw wrote:Just a few thoughts here:

Have you increased the memory ( miniumum/preferred ) allocation of the application to be at least twice the suggested size ? Single click the DP 2.6 application and then get information ( apple command key + letter I ).

I'm sure you know all that stuff but just thought I would mention it.

How much RAM does your G4 have ?

You don't need a MIDI interface to run the application.
Hi Midiw,

I tried to increase this settings but it don't work, the program continues with the errors, I have 640 MB RAM, did you remember the version of your drivers (MAS, DAE, Free MIDI etc...) I'll try to atualize them on the MOTU site. Also I send a message to MOTU tech Support but for now I don't have reply. Thanks a lot for your help.

Leandro.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

LEANDRO KEHL wrote:Okay Belexes, but I was in use DP 2.6 with a G3 266 playing MIDI and recording audio (I had a Audiomedia III installed on it with Mac OS 9.2), for now I want to upgrade all my devices to G4 and DP 2.6, do you know what type of problem is this?
Some Audiomedia III cards are NOT COMPATIBLE with G4 machines Maybe your AMIII is one of the incompatible ones:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/tb/am3.cfm

<snip>

Known Incompatibility with older Audiomedia III Cards & The Blue & White G3 and G4:

A revision "QC" or later of the Audiomedia III card's AMCC chip is required for Blue & White G3 and G4 compatibility. (an Apple PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics desktop cpu is required for Pro Tools LE 6.0 for Mac OS X)

This revision number appears on the AMCC chip following number "5933". Older versions can cause your computer to hang while booting, or when launching Pro Tools or DigiTest. This chip was revised to QC on the Audiomedia III to allow for compatibility with PCs that did not allow you to disable PCI Burst Mode (it was revied shortly thereafter to QE).

<snip>

There is more at that link.

----
midiw

Post by midiw »

emulatorloo wrote:
LEANDRO KEHL wrote:Okay Belexes, but I was in use DP 2.6 with a G3 266 playing MIDI and recording audio (I had a Audiomedia III installed on it with Mac OS 9.2), for now I want to upgrade all my devices to G4 and DP 2.6, do you know what type of problem is this?
Some Audiomedia III cards are NOT COMPATIBLE with G4 machines Maybe your AMIII is one of the incompatible ones:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/tb/am3.cfm

<snip>

Known Incompatibility with older Audiomedia III Cards & The Blue & White G3 and G4:

A revision "QC" or later of the Audiomedia III card's AMCC chip is required for Blue & White G3 and G4 compatibility. (an Apple PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics desktop cpu is required for Pro Tools LE 6.0 for Mac OS X)

This revision number appears on the AMCC chip following number "5933". Older versions can cause your computer to hang while booting, or when launching Pro Tools or DigiTest. This chip was revised to QC on the Audiomedia III to allow for compatibility with PCs that did not allow you to disable PCI Burst Mode (it was revied shortly thereafter to QE).

<snip>

There is more at that link.

----

Good point although he sezs in the first posting that the card is not installed in the Mac he is having problems.
midiw

Post by midiw »

LEANDRO KEHL wrote:[
Hi Midiw,

I tried to increase this settings but it don't work, the program continues with the errors, I have 640 MB RAM, did you remember the version of your drivers (MAS, DAE, Free MIDI etc...) I'll try to atualize them on the MOTU site. Also I send a message to MOTU tech Support but for now I don't have reply. Thanks a lot for your help.

Leandro.
Soving your problem is very hard without being there working with your machine.

First of all let me be sure that you do not have any audio card installed in that Mac?

If you do have an audio card installed then the information emulatorloo provided is valid.

You should also contact MOTU sales services and ask them for the "free" DP 2.7 update.

On one of my Mac machines I have both DP 2.7.2 (v2) and DP 3.1.1 running in OS 9.2.2. FreeMIDI .1.45 and MAS 2.4.

In the meantime you could try opening/running extension manager and create a special startup set with just the extensions that will run DP.

If that does it then your OK but if no then try tot re-install DP 2.6.

First trash the previous installed DP 2.6 and the related extensions and preferences.

Then prepaire a special startup set that just allows you to startup and launch the DP 2.6 installer CD. That is be sure that the Apple CD/DVD Driver and Apple CD-Rom are slected.

When lauching an installeri in OS 9 it s best not to have any other programmes or antivirus running in the background.

After the fresh installed DP 2.6 and FreeMIDI startup from that specail DP only startup extension set.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to ask MOTU for the free upate.
LEANDRO KEHL

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

Dear Friends,

My problem was solved for now. A friend of mine help with the solution. Thanks for your help.

Leandro Kehl
midiw

Post by midiw »

LEANDRO KEHL wrote:Dear Friends,

My problem was solved for now. A friend of mine help with the solution. Thanks for your help.

Leandro Kehl
Glad to read all is well.

How did you guys solve the problem?
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

LEANDRO KEHL wrote:Dear Friends,

Leandro Kehl
GOOD! can you tell us what was wrong?

If not, have a wonderful day making music!
LEANDRO KEHL

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

I reinstall the OS 9.2 and Digital Performer 2.6 and reorganize my extensions set, at first time DP don‘t open but I change the memory settings and for now appear‘s be ok, I try to run with my Audiomedia III but I think the card is not compatible with G4, someone knows any solution, or I have to change the soundcard? I‘m thinking about the Delta 1010LT, what the friends advice me. Thanks a lot
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

LEANDRO KEHL wrote:I try to run with my Audiomedia III but I think the card is not compatible with G4, someone knows any solution, or I have to change the soundcard? I‘m thinking about the Delta 1010LT, what the friends advice me. Thanks a lot
I am so excited that you have it working!

Check out that link above that I gave you to digidesign. . .it will tell you how to determine if you have the right Audiomedia III card for a G4.

I like the M-Audio cards too -- I have a Delta R-Bus and it is a very good card.

----
LEANDRO KEHL

Post by LEANDRO KEHL »

Dear Emulatorloo,

I tried to install the Audiomedia III on G4 and appear‘s a message: "THIS SOUND CARD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE G4", I saw the number on the Audiomedia III chip and is the same what you tells me about the soundcard is incompatible, no problem, for a while I‘ll use with my G3 and after I‘ll spend some buck‘s with a new soundcard to G4. Do you you know if are some driver to run my AM3 with G4?

Thanks.