Why is DP better than Cubase?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
payroll
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by payroll »

Have anyone tried both of them?
sdfalk

Re: Why is DP better than Cubase?

Post by sdfalk »

payroll wrote:Why is DP better than Cubase?

Yep.
Burnie M

Post by Burnie M »

Digital Performer has more vowels in it than Cubase, thus making it more important, init. :wink:
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Because it just is dammit!!! :wink:

Easier audio editing, better MIDI functions, and a nicer using GUI IMHO.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Because it's written in the United States by those that speak English as a native language. Okay, this sounds funny....but what I mean is the application is written in the way we think. It's also MAC only, not cross-platform which allows MOTU to focus on what the Mac OS can do.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
iMAS

Post by iMAS »

...because it's worse than Logic, and I've never used Logic before.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BradLyons wrote:Because it's written in the United States by those that speak English as a native language. Okay, this sounds funny....but what I mean is the application is written in the way we think. It's also MAC only, not cross-platform which allows MOTU to focus on what the Mac OS can do.
But you work on a PC, Brad! :-)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

James Steele wrote:
BradLyons wrote:<snip>It's also MAC only, not cross-platform which allows MOTU to focus on what the Mac OS can do.
But you work on a PC, Brad! :-)
Dead giveaway - Easy to tell because he types "MAC" in all caps!

But then he goes and confuses me later by typing "Mac OS"

--
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Well, I also type "PC" and "DP" in caps too! ;-) I use Mac's (throwing you for a loop now!) all the time, my platform of choice is our Creation Station Rack along with ProToolsHD. But if this weren't my system, I'd probably be running "DP" on a "MAC" :-)
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
yofo

Post by yofo »

My son and my brother use Cubase and they have tried to get me to change religions but I've been with MOTU since "performer" in the early '90s and I love it. I dig the layout of Cubase though.
Mac OSX 10.6.8 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RME Fireface 800
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

BradLyons wrote:Well, I also type "PC" and "DP" in caps too! ;-) I use Mac's (throwing you for a loop now!) all the time, my platform of choice is our Creation Station Rack along with ProToolsHD. But if this weren't my system, I'd probably be running "DP" on a "MAC" :-)
Hey! It doesn't take much to throw me for a loop these days! :D
billf

Post by billf »

Allow me to quote Wikipedia:
Despite Cubase VST offering a then-unheard-of amount of power to the home user, computer hardware took some time to catch up, and by the time it did, VST's audio editing capability was shown up to be weak compared with systems such as ProTools DAE and Digital Performer MAS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubase
arth

Post by arth »

I think part of the animosity towards Cubase is because a lot of people have tried Cubasis or even Cubase LE, which came bundled with hardware they bought.

Of course, many of those found it limited, which it is. It also isn't Cubase SX.

I'm no big Steinberg fan myself, as I find their interfaces too flashy, like impressive looks was more important than intuitive simplicity.

Regards,
--
*Art
Obscure Object

Post by Obscure Object »

i've been using cubase on pc a lot lately n i actually find its performance quite satisfactory. I think for a DP equivilant on a PC, cubase would be my choice. DP's GUI is a lo better though. n i think there's no way cubase will run smoother on a mac. but FWIW if u have a powerfull PC, cubase is certainly a powerfull application. and thank you.
Her nose was not really a nose at all. It was only a beginning.
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

emulatorloo wrote:Easy to tell because he types "MAC" in all caps!
Yeah, but he didn't use the usual "Winblows" or "PeeCee". :wink:

AFA the "Berg" people go: I tested for them during N1 many moons ago, and the majority of them are almost indistinguishable from native English users in online correspondence. Even their understanding of weird sarcasm and humor here is pretty strong. I've also seen them get on people for NOT speaking the standard English to them. I guess some may still run across a support rep or someone who wasn't so fluent with it. BTW, I was just complementing another German, who's helping me with a DIY S/PDIF project he's done, on his impressive English. He may not be as good as the Bergs, but his "style" comes off more like the typical "tech-savvy" people when they're in a hurry or something, and are more excited and focused on the technical details. I've noticed the forums over at uCapps.de are the same way. It seems like it must be a highly-stressed, mandatory skill to learn over there. Most of the more "alien-like" postings I read aren't from Germany. Not that they have any obligation to speak our language.

And hey, I thought you guys were OK with Emagic? 8)

I agree on the "simplified" looks. I really enjoyed the Nuendo1.x interface, but have gotten pretty comfortable with 2&3 now, and am enjoying many of the new GUI features. N1 was almost an "obvious" interface to anyone who had used traditional audio gear, but I think even the weirdest ones will make sense to many people after they've been on them for a while. (FWIW, the times I've looked at Logic, it's baffled the heck out of me :oops: )

Take Care,
George

PS- Dave Crane (Berg's current GUI-man) has also been very good about lurking around in the shadows and participating in the necessary GUI-related discussions. He'll usually "surface" to answer any questions about it, and also seems to keep up with many of the feature requests. I think many of the users welcomed the new look and were a bit more comfortable with it than myself (the evolution of it wasn't 100% developer based).