MOTU 16A Recurring Hardware Problem: Low Power Detected Rebooting

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 16A Recurring Hardware Problem: Low Power Detected Rebooting

Post by nk_e »

James Steele wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:18 am
James Steele wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:13 am Now I'm wondering if someone makes partial height blanks... preferably perforated. :)
Well, lo' and behold!

https://www.amazon.com/Elcom-R1286-05UV ... B00LHQ63MU

It's 1/2U but that's cool. At least they're out there. Maybe some are cheaper. But I guess if you do 1/4U, the gap is so small you don't really see down inside the rack very much.
There's this too...

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/Penn ... -6551.aspx

After removing my 11R I was able to fit everything with a gap between the units, but I need 1/3U vented blanking panels. They make 1/3U panels believe it or not, but they are solid. Would sorta defeat the purpose I think.

Lucky problems in the end.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

1/3rd panels throw off the screw pattern, but if you only use 2 anyway…..
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bbdude
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by bbdude »

I completed the Power Supply replacement in my 16A today. It is fairly easy to get the unit open. Just remove the 3 top screws and the rack ears. I recommend taking some pictures of the internals before proceeding further with the disassembly. Next getting the power supply out requires removing 5 screws, unplugging the 2 wires from the on/off switch, and unplugging the power distribution board (my name for it). The power distribution board has a 2x8 female header that mates with the Power Supply board and 3 other larger headers that mate with 2 other boards in the unit. This board takes some gentle rocking to get it unmated. Once the Power Supply screws are removed, it can be wiggled around a bit which helps to get the Power Distribution Board unplugged. Reverse the process to get the new Power Supply installed, taking care to get the Power Distribution Board properly aligned before applying insertion force.

The unit is all reconnected, powered-up, and operating in my rack. Initial checks have I/O working properly and no reboots (only 1.5 hours of operation so far though).
-- The bbdude --
Cakewalk DAW, Core i7 8700, Windows 10, RME UFX+ Audio I/F, RME Octamic XTC, MOTU 16A
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bbdude wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:32 pm I completed the Power Supply replacement in my 16A today. It is fairly easy to get the unit open. Just remove the 3 top screws and the rack ears. I recommend taking some pictures of the internals before proceeding further with the disassembly. Next getting the power supply out requires removing 5 screws, unplugging the 2 wires from the on/off switch, and unplugging the power distribution board (my name for it). The power distribution board has a 2x8 female header that mates with the Power Supply board and 3 other larger headers that mate with 2 other boards in the unit. This board takes some gentle rocking to get it unmated. Once the Power Supply screws are removed, it can be wiggled around a bit which helps to get the Power Distribution Board unplugged. Reverse the process to get the new Power Supply installed, taking care to get the Power Distribution Board properly aligned before applying insertion force.

The unit is all reconnected, powered-up, and operating in my rack. Initial checks have I/O working properly and no reboots (only 1.5 hours of operation so far though).
Excellent. Hope it continues working well for you.

I took delivery of my (spare) power supply today, so I'll be ready to follow your lead if it ever becomes necessary.

Thanks again for checking in with the info!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32