Thinking of buying DP7, but had a couple of questions..

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Umbrella
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Thinking of buying DP7, but had a couple of questions..

Post by Umbrella »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Umbrella wrote:... certain types of sound generation required an appliance, and I asked if an electric guitar would fall into the catagory of "[enslavement] to the machine" or not.. I sense that the answer is - "no?"
All that proves is you are incapable of understanding what is being discussed. We're talking about growing a tree v. buying a plastic one. You're talking about delivering the tree to market.
But that's not an answer to my question! If someone with a laptop is "enslaved to the machine" - does that mean that someone with an electric guitar and an amp is too - or not?

It's just a "yes" or "no" question.. Why so frightening?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

It seems that all of this stuff is some subset within the definition of the word "sample". You record anything-- one note, a whole phrase--- you've just sampled it.

The term "loop" has been around for a long time. The "tape loop", I'd gander, was probably the source of what is now an overwidely used term, being a relatively short strip of magnetic tape containing audio information of any kind which could be spliced back to front to make a loop, literally speaking.

But those loops were samples-- at least to my thinking.

I would even go so far as to suggest that what we know as MIDI loops are samples as well.... no matter how they were created or composited into bits and pieces that might be DAW-friendly. So-called MIDI loops are not much different than audio loops in intrinsic content, except they are in a different format designed to trigger some responsive audio instrument to the same effect.

Regardless of what the vehicle is, whether a DAW and its peripherals or acoustic instrument---- it's *always* about the USER.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Umbrella wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Umbrella wrote:... certain types of sound generation required an appliance, and I asked if an electric guitar would fall into the catagory of "[enslavement] to the machine" or not.. I sense that the answer is - "no?"
All that proves is you are incapable of understanding what is being discussed. We're talking about growing a tree v. buying a plastic one. You're talking about delivering the tree to market.
But that's not an answer to my question! If someone with a laptop is "enslaved to the machine" - does that mean that someone with an electric guitar and an amp is too - or not?

It's just a "yes" or "no" question.. Why so frightening?
NO! He's not because he can pick up and play an acoustic if he want's to. What means other than a CD player are you going to play back your loops from? End of story. :roll:
Ever heard of "Unplugged?" Some of those performances are better than the electrified versions... but you know what? It's still them performing it! :mrgreen:
With your loop compositions... how would you perform live or back your album up with a tour?
Last edited by newrigel on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

@ Mr. Cherbourg... Not frightening at all. Don't over credit yourself for composition or instilling fear. For the record, I fear nothing, bud. I've looked death in the face up close and personal so your anon post does nothing to make me shiver. Too funny. Ah, youth...

No, your question didn't get answered because it is irrelevant.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

newrigel wrote: Isn't that what all the rappers call a loop... beats?
But really, I'd just like to hear what kind of stuff your doing... that way I can identify where your coming from as an artist and how all this come into play. I mean, there were tons of post of others music but I didn't hear or see anything that anyone did themselves.
I think hip-hoppers refer to a looped drumbeat with a bassline and all the other stuff the loop might have as the "beat," yes.

Ok, no problem.. Where should I post it? And you want to hear something with "samples" (according to the new terminology) or without? Because I've rarely if ever released or finished anything with a "loop" (according to our new terminology) except for some performance art and theater sound design I did years ago...

So - you want to hear with "samples" or no "samples"?
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:@ Mr. Cherbourg... Not frightening at all. Don't over credit yourself for composition or instilling fear. For the record, I fear nothing, bud. I've looked death in the face up close and personal so your anon post does nothing to make me shiver. Too funny. Ah, youth...

No, your question didn't get answered because it is irrelevant.
Ok, well - I'll just wait for the original poster of the statement (Newrigel) to answer because he was the one I was really asking anyway, unless you guys are like, the same person or something - but that would be too weird.
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

newrigel wrote: NO!
Ok, got an answer - just asking, thanks..
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Umbrella wrote:
But really, I'd just like to hear what kind of stuff your doing... that way I can identify where your coming from as an artist and how all this come into play. I mean, there were tons of post of others music but I didn't hear or see anything that anyone did themselves.
I think hip-hoppers refer to a looped drumbeat with a bassline and all the other stuff the loop might have as the "beat," yes.

Ok, no problem.. Where should I post it? And you want to hear something with "samples" (according to the new terminology) or without? Because I've rarely if ever released or finished anything with a "loop" (according to our new terminology) except for some performance art and theater sound design I did years ago...

No, we were discussing LOOPS NOT SAMPLES! The OP was talking about loops in Logic and Sonar and it has been the topic (or off topic :cry: ) of this thing here.
But anyway, post it up here. I just saw tons of others music videos representing what this discussion has become and not anything of their own. I'm cool with hearing the looped compositions and then the performed music that you performed on your instrument of choice. Now, unless I can actually see you do it (like you did with mine) there's no guarantee of authenticity so have @ it. I'm not trying to instill any resentment towards me for my motives... I would just like to hear what it is about looping that's so organic and compositional that I have to say "to hell with playing, I'm going to compose my work this way from now on." I've heard the best the business has to offer and to me, I doubt if your stuff would change my mind either so...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:...I don't mind debating/discussing this topic with anyone, even MLC!
I'm not sure if that was an insult or a compliment. Doesn't really matter as long as the source remains anonymous. :roll:
The source was me and the comment also included a plea to dial back the insults. It was meant as a joke, because of your, ehm, more 'blunt' comments to people in this and other threads, such as:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Umbrella wrote:... certain types of sound generation...
All that proves is you are incapable of understanding what is being discussed.
MLC, back off on crap like this, its beneath you. If someone disagrees with you it doesn't mean that they are incapable of understanding you. Umbrella understands you just fine, try a bit of reciprocation.
newrigel wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:
newrigel wrote:My grandma can push a button and do a looped tune...
Good for your grandma - too bad you can't appreciate her artfulness and skill though. Maybe the genes didn't make it to you - or were you adopted? :P :P
What does genes have to do with pressing a button?
Talk about missing the point - the genes I was referring to were the ones your grandma apparently have that allow her to listen to music and enjoy it on its merits without feeling the necessity to judge its quality based on the compositional technique used in its creation.
newrigel wrote:Today has spawned a new breed of minds that instant gratification becomes the norm. You don't have to do anything to get any recognition for it... it's all been done for you.
It is patronizing comments from you that make me want to come out and say something I wouldn't otherwise, but I will - your stuff is exceedingly derivative. BTW, your grandma sounds pretty cool, maybe you should put some of her stuff up on your website, maybe her stuff is less formulaic and unoriginal than yours.
Shooshie wrote:I'm having a little trouble understanding what some people are arguing about. Specifically, those who say that looping is just as much composition as anything that Bach or Beethoven did. It's not true.
Ok boys, rip it to shreds! :lol:
Well, looping is just as much 'composition' as what the big J.S. and others did. In fact, I was going to pull out the same example that Frodo identified - Mozart and the dice - to prove this point, but we can go further. All of the great composers, Bach, Beethoven, Dvorak, etc. all used folk music, often note-for-note in their 'compositions'. Bach used mathematical and other 'rules-based' techniques all the time, and of course, let us not forget that the fugue and cannon forms are essentially inverted looped phrases going through various permutations. Is that exactly the same as what loopers are doing today? No.

No, modern-day looping isn't the same as 17th century compositional technique, and I haven't seen one single post herein that has said that it is, so please stop arguing with posts that don't exist, no one has said that. What a bunch of us have said is that looping is a valid compositional technique. Bach and the others would agree, because they did it. They couldn't use mechanical means to loop, but loopers they were.
grouse wrote:Brian...over to you. Brian....BRIAN?
:lol: :lol:
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Hey,

I'm so glad I found this, I was thinking of buying DP7, but I had a couple of questions...

What's the looping situation?

bb
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

newrigel wrote:
Umbrella wrote:

No, we were discussing LOOPS NOT SAMPLES! The OP was talking about loops in Logic and Sonar and it has been the topic (or off topic :cry: ) of this thing here.
But anyway, post it up here. I just saw tons of others music videos representing what this discussion has become and not anything of their own. I'm cool with hearing the looped compositions and then the performed music that you performed on your instrument of choice. Now, unless I can actually see you do it (like you did with mine) there's no guarantee of authenticity so have @ it. I'm not trying to instill any resentment towards me for my motives... I would just like to hear what it is about looping that's so organic and compositional that I have to say "to hell with playing, I'm going to compose my work this way from now on." I've heard the best the business has to offer and to me, I doubt if your stuff would change my mind either so...
Ummm.. You read the string of posts about the definition of "loops" and "samples" and all of that to do with the.. aww. never mind.. :mrgreen:

Ok - but now that you know that I only have music with "samples" (according to the definition established by Shooshie) that I can show you - as opposed to "loops" (according to the definition established by Shooshie) - you want music with "samples" or no "samples"?
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Shooshie wrote:I'm having a little trouble understanding what some people are arguing about. Specifically, those who say that looping is just as much composition as anything that Bach or Beethoven did. It's not true.

Saying that trained musicians leave you cold doesn't make a case for looping.

Let's get back to the basic facts: looping is a valid form of creativity. It is not musical composition. The product resembles musical composition, but someone else did the composing/arranging. The looper is RE-arranging. Now, that's a valid art form. Yessiree. It is. But composing is what Bach did. What John Williams does. For that matter, it's what MIDI Life Crisis does. Looping and composing are two different things, and it does not matter what any dictionary in the world has to say about it. The dictionaries haven't gotten the memo yet about looping.

The most extreme example of this that I've seen is the photographer in the link back up the way who makes millions exhibiting his blown-up pictures of commercial magazine ads. In other words, he takes pictures of pictures. He receives credit (and tons of money) for his pictures of someone else's pictures, but someone else took the picture. Someone else waded out into the snow, measured the light and shadow on the subject, calculated the exposure, and took the picture when his eye told him it was right.

The "borrower" gets credit for it.

Where do you stop with this? I say it stops on the level of notes. If I sample a Steinway, and it's absolutely a wonderfully programmed set of samples that makes you feel like and sound like you're playing a Steinway, then if you use those samples to create a beautiful performance of any piano piece, you've basically created a musical performance. There was nothing unique about my samples except that they resembled the real thing, enabling you to create performances that are moving and/or entertaining.

If, on the other hand, I create a set of samples of pre-made portions of some piano pieces, and all you have to do is plug them in the right order, or to be REALLY creative and plug them in a different order, it's still me doing the playing.

The more mundane the sampled music fragment, the more creativity is passed to the looper. If it's down to simply instrumental tones, which then must be shaped into notes, chords, articulations and dynamics, then the person using the samples is pretty much 100% responsible for the content. But when you sample an entire bass line or chord progression, and if it was performed with expression, then that sample retains some percentage of its creative content even when it is applied to someone else's loop-work.

If we go to hear a band like Negativland, we already know that we're going to hear a lot of content generated elsewhere. The enjoyment comes from what they've done with it. Perfectly valid art form. But they aren't doing what Bach did, nor are they making such a claim. Thus, it's a different thing; it's not similar to that kind of composition.

We have a dearth of language here. We simply need to agree on words and definitions of the new stuff, without trying to deconstruct or insult the old stuff. It was here first. It is called musical composition. The new stuff may sound musical when it's done, but there has to be a word to differentiate the fact that the arranger/looper indeed did not play the music. Any looper who tries to lay claim to the actual content of the loops, as if they did that, is of course lying. BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY CLAIM TO DO. No looper worth his samples is going to make an outlandish claim like that except maybe in a Monty Python sketch. No, their claim is to the arrangement of their borrowed content. It is borrowed! They know it. We know it. Everyone is fine with it until someone says "there's no difference between that and Bach." Then we run into trouble.

So why can't we just make a genre for looping? Why does anyone want to compare it to musical composition? Why does anyone want to say it's the same thing? Same process? It is not.

Saying something is different or other than is not the same as saying it's better or worse. We don't compare Bach to Beatles. Why should we compare Bach OR Beatles to Negativland? We can discuss this without bending reality.

So, I'm going to take a chance and venture forth with a principle that I think explains this stuff:

The creative content of a looper's work is directly proportional to their unique application of the borrowed content and its juxtaposition within the whole, and inversely proportional to the dependency on the uniqueness of the borrowed content itself.

To illustrate what I just said:
Ivory is not borrowed content. It's got no inherent creative expression on the note level. It's simply an instrument to be played, and one can indeed play Bach using ivory. When you do, the dependency on the uniqueness of the sampled content is zero. In performance, it functions no differently than an actual piano, harpsichord, synth, or other keyboard instrument. Take a recording of Glenn Gould playing Bach, sample it, then use it as loops, and the further away from Gould's recording you get in your re-application of the loops, the higher the creative uniqueness goes, and the more it becomes the looper's work, and not Gould's. However, if you simply take Gould's recording and put your name on it, then obviously you're just lying. But that's simply an illustration of the principle at work. Nobody in their right mind does that... except for that photographer who photographs other people's photos, then reproduces them down to the pixel as his own.

Ok boys, rip it to shreds! :lol:

Shooshie
Too many words. :wink:

As I said before, I don't care if it's called composing of not. It really makes no difference to me, to any degree. It's still a creative process and the person has ever right to pursue it and to ask questions whether DP (remember DP?) has a place in that process. I know we have already agreed on that part. The rest is just, well, whatever it is. I've lost interest because it's gotten kind of ridiculous.

MLC, I watched two of your reels and the interview. Very nicely done. I was very impressed. I heard some really nice and interesting music in there. Love the music and image of the opening credits. I especially liked how you timed the text fades with the music, and that blue reflective line on top of the piano that you either created or enhanced is marvelous. You have a career (a life of music) which you should be very proud of. And you're so darn cute, too. It's going to be hard for me to argue with you in the future, so just don't be wrong anymore. :wink:
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

newrigel wrote: I'm cool with hearing the looped compositions and then the performed music that you performed on your instrument of choice.
Umm.. by "looped" here - do you mean something with "samples" as defined by Shooshie?

I could upload two examples - one with "samples" and one without.. Is it ok if the one with "samples" is "performed" because it might be hard for me to find an example of something with "samples" that wasn't performed..
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bongo_x wrote:Hey,

I'm so glad I found this, I was thinking of buying DP7, but I had a couple of questions...

bb
LOL!

Poor Brian Stone!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Frodo wrote:
bongo_x wrote:Hey,

bb
LOL!

Poor Brian Stone!
Poor Brian Stone? He hardly put any effort into this at all. :wink:
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers