when is DP5 shipping?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
pounce
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

when is DP5 shipping?

Post by pounce »

i don't recall seeing that announced. i've already ordered the DP5 upgrade, so motu being motu i suspect it can't be far off. i don't suppose it's shipping yet? maybe i missed a clue about when i should expect it, but if you know when it's gonna be in my grubby mits i'd like to know.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Do a site search. This has been covered. More than a few times.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

I think it's shipping by the end of this week.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
pounce

Post by pounce »

chrispick - four days ago you said this...
chrispick wrote:
martian wrote:
anyone put their order in yet? any indication of when it will arrive?

Check this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11257

No indication as to when product will ship. Could be days. Will probably be weeks.
and while i've read the other dp5 threads, it continues to be the case that no official word is out, but an unofficial rumor is that it ships starting at the end of next week. i already have that much information, and i know how to search. given your previous post, you realize there is no announced ship date, nobody has a copy yet, and i'd only heard one rumor as to when shipping will occur. i was fishing for any other confirmation one way or another. i'm still amazed by folks who take the time to post only to put up such curt and unhelpful replies. ok - you don't know any more about it than i do. that's fine. i'm sure i ordered quickly enough that i'll get mine very soon after motu starts shipping anyway, so it'll all be good in the end. should anyone have any actual information i'm happy to hear it. i'm sure i'll see posts once folks are getting the upgrades. and pretty soon too i expect, and that's when then the game is on.
bjmorgan

End of next week.

Post by bjmorgan »

I was told end of next week as well by the sales folk at MOTU. Psyched.
pounce

Post by pounce »

i'm supposed to do a mix of a multi tracked live show i recorded into dp 4.6. so loading it up into dp5 would be a great way to get comfortable with the new software. client won't be in the room while i mix, only show up to approve the mix. so i can work more slowly and get used to dp5. if it's here next week i'll have a perfect project for it.
spirit

Post by spirit »

Trying a .0 product for a paying project might be a little chancey. For example if you do some hours work (getting aquainted with DP5) and then you go to add a neccessary plug in, and it isn't compatible, the file gets corrupted, can't save as DP 4.6 or something is lost in doing so, then you could have to redo that work from start in a worst case scenario.
If it is a casual project you could maybe wait for DP 5.01 or 5.02 to finish it, but if there is any deadline you have to weigh what hopefully would be a remote risk, against the advantages of DP5 for the project you are working on (some good stuff for working with video, and better tracking meter and click options, and instruments and edit tools that are good particularly for loops etc.- but what feature will significantly benefit mixing a live performance?).
pounce

Post by pounce »

we could discuss whether dp5 is any more likely to be buggy then the next version and so forth, but all that is crystal ball material. who knows what will be more stable on a given system? or what works on your system will be the same on mine. some .1 releases have been worse than their predesessors.

i'm just suggesting that i have a very casual client with a loose deadline that might make a pleasant introduction to dp5. i can work slower if need be. since the client won't be in the room and i can read the manual and otherwise use the opportunity to get used to dp5. if i work slower i'll adjust the bill to keep it fair to them.

i suspect i will be able to work at pretty much the normal speed. it seems like i have a nice no pressure job to test out dp5 on. and yes, the worst case is that some mix info gets lost. not the end of the world. at some point you have to try the new software out. certainly not on tight deadlines, not with high profile or high pressure stuff, and never in the middle of a project. but with a casual mix job with no tight deadline, maybe a great way to get accustomed to dp.

hell, everything in life is chancey. this doesn't make me especially nervous.
paradeatw

Post by paradeatw »

i cant f*ckin wait :)
The Arsenal:
DP 4.6 | OSX 10.4.8 | G5 Dual 1.8 | 4 GB RAM
Omega 8 | MPC2500 | Moog LP | API A2D | SM7
UAD | Waves SSL | RME Multiface 2 |KRK V6

Crazy Music and Crap: www.myspace.com/shanefontane
Post Pop Music House: www.postpopmusic.com
DirksBand

Re: when is DP5 shipping?

Post by DirksBand »

pounce wrote:i don't recall seeing that announced. i've already ordered the DP5 upgrade, so motu being motu i suspect it can't be far off. i don't suppose it's shipping yet? maybe i missed a clue about when i should expect it, but if you know when it's gonna be in my grubby mits i'd like to know.
Arrgh...

http://www.motu.com/dp5/ship_nov2006_w_ilok
blue

Post by blue »

fool me once••¦
pounce

Post by pounce »

DirksBand wrote:
pounce wrote:i don't recall seeing that announced. i've already ordered the DP5 upgrade, so motu being motu i suspect it can't be far off. i don't suppose it's shipping yet? maybe i missed a clue about when i should expect it, but if you know when it's gonna be in my grubby mits i'd like to know.
Arrgh...

http://www.motu.com/dp5/ship_nov2006_w_ilok
stinky linky

although i infer what it must say based on the text above, that page is no longer there. wanna elaborate?
billf

Post by billf »

pounce wrote:although i infer what it must say based on the text above, that page is no longer there. wanna elaborate?
He's pulling your virtual leg.

See here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11362
waddo

shipping cost

Post by waddo »

i don't know when they will ship but they are certainly cavalier when it comes to shipping costs for non US users. The canadian price is manageable, but 45 US everywhere else is too much. Thats still 25% of an already expensive upgrade.

They really should provide a slow and cheap alternative. I really dont need it to arrive in Japan the day after the send it.

So my total cost is 250 US. Now that's an ouch and i will think twice about the next upgrade.

keith
www.waddo.net
boonier

Re: shipping cost

Post by boonier »

waddo wrote:i don't know when they will ship but they are certainly cavalier when it comes to shipping costs for non US users. The canadian price is manageable, but 45 US everywhere else is too much. Thats still 25% of an already expensive upgrade.

They really should provide a slow and cheap alternative. I really dont need it to arrive in Japan the day after the send it.

So my total cost is 250 US. Now that's an ouch and i will think twice about the next upgrade.

keith
www.waddo.net
sorry to here that....but
thats like buying your Ram direct from apple. I think Japan has its own distributor. You should have waited until they got their deliverly and ordered it from them....would have taken a little longer, but saved a few yen
1ghz 17" Powerbook (currently), 1gig ram, Tiger 10.4.8, DP 4.6.1, Motu 828, Edirol FA-101, Bidule, Reason, SuperCollider, synths, hardware FX, cables, plugs, plug adaptors, extension leads, dust, vacuum cleaner