New Mac, lastest Sonoma, Fastlane is not seen

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
FrankM
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New Mac, lastest Sonoma, Fastlane is not seen

Post by FrankM »

I just got a brand new 14" MacBook Pro and updated to the latest version of Sonoma (14.2.1).

I downloaded the latest MIDI driver - Mac v91217 - then followed the instructions in MOTU's tech note "Enabling MOTU drivers in macOS 10.13 High Sierra or later." The extension is not even showing up to let me "allow" it in System Settings. I plugged in my other MIDI interface, the iConnect mio, and the "allow" alert came right up, I clicked, and there it was in AMS.

Unplugged & re-plugged in the Fastlane. Restarted multiple times. Reinstalled the driver. Started in recovery mode, ran the security utility and allowed more "relaxed" security, etc etc etc etc... nada.

My previous Mac, a 15" Air with Ventura, saw the Fastlane (though I started a thread here about how it disconnected if the computer was slept). My default setup loads into AMS so the Fastlane is there but greyed out, and never comes alive when plugged in.

I did some searching here but nothing specific to my issue popped up (that I saw). Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by FrankM on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Mac, lastest Ventura, Fastlane is not seen

Post by mikehalloran »

There's two parts to that "Enabling..." document. One part is specific to Ventura/Sonoma (finally).

It is important that this be done within 30 minutes of installing the driver. If you miss the window, reinstall the driver and try again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

I saw that 30-minute warning. I definitely went to the setting within that time frame.

I'll try a deep dive into the security settings, maybe there were changes from Ventura to Sonoma. Boy is this frustrating,.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FrankM wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:09 pm I saw that 30-minute warning. I definitely went to the setting within that time frame.

I'll try a deep dive into the security settings, maybe there were changes from Ventura to Sonoma. Boy is this frustrating,.
Not that would affect this. I would place a TechLink with MOTU Support on Monday or give them a call.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FrankM

Re: New Mac, lastest Sonoma, Fastlane is not seen

Post by FrankM »

I just corrected the thread title and OP to say i have the latest SONOMA, not Ventura. Sorry for any confusion.
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

Just to tie a small bow here, I did file a support ticket with MOTU regarding my Fastlane not working in the latest Sonoma (14.2.1). However, my situation is a little odd - I bought this new M3 MacBook Pro last week when I thought my 15" MacBook Air was gone forever. I just found the Air - and have some very serious concerns regarding Apple's "Find My" app never showing its location when according to everything I've read it should have. I have a Genius Bar appointment later today to return the MBP and see what's up with my Air's location not showing.

So why file the ticket? Because someday in the future I'll undoubtedly upgrade my Air to Sonoma or a later system (it's on Ventura and the Fastlane works fine). I'd like to know why MOTU's MIDI driver doesn't load on the M3 MBP at startup. It's definitely there: a file called com.motu.driver.USBMidiDext.dext is in the /Library/SystemExtensions folder.

In the meantime - is ANYONE here using a Fastlane (or even another MOTU MIDI interface) on Sonoma with an M3 Mac? My guess is no, but that would certainly help figure out if this is on me or MOTU.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FrankM wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:55 am

In the meantime - is ANYONE here using a Fastlane (or even another MOTU MIDI interface) on Sonoma with an M3 Mac? My guess is no, but that would certainly help figure out if this is on me or MOTU.
Read the latest here.

viewtopic.php?t=73789
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

Thanks Mike. For once I can say "it's not me!" :-)

I chimed in on that thread. I'm a little frustrated after spending hours troubleshooting. Looking at the CME U6 MIDI Pro interface right now.
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

In fairness to MOTU, I have to jump back in here and say... YES IT'S ME.

What I didn't mention at the top of this thread was that when I got the new 14" MacBook Pro with Sonoma, I migrated my user account and apps to it from a Time Machine backup I had - a backup of my MacBook Air with Ventura.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I returned the 14" MBP and am now back on my Air, still on Ventura, and the Fastlane works fine. However, today I had some free time so I did a fresh install of Sonoma on an external drive. This time, I did not migrate my user account to it - actually, the only thing I did after the install was to download & install the latest MOTU MIDI driver. After enabling it in System Settings --> Privacy & Security, I hooked up the Fastlane, opened AMS and there it was. I didn't try doing anything with it, but just the fact that the icon showed up and wasn't greyed out seems to say that it's functional.

So, logic tells me something in my migrated MacBook Air account conflicted with Sonoma on the 14" MBP. On a fresh install of Sonoma with a blank user folder, the Fastlane worked.
Last edited by FrankM on Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FrankM wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm In fairness to MOTU, I have to jump back in here and say... YES IT'S ME.

What I didn't mention at the top of this thread was that when I got the new 14" MacBook Pro with Sonoma, I migrated my user account and apps to it from a Time Machine backup I had - a backup of my MacBook Air with Ventura.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I returned the 14" MBP and am now back on my Air, still on Ventura, and the Fastlane works fine. However, today I had some free time so I did a fresh install of Sonoma on an external drive. This time, I did not migrate my user account to it - actually, the only thing I did after the install was to download & install the lastest MOTU MIDI driver. After enabling it in System Settings --> Privacy & Security, I hooked up the Fastlane, opened AMS and there it was. I didn't try doing anything with it, but just the fact that the icon showed up and wasn't greyed out seems to say that it's functional.

So, logic tells me something in my migrated MacBook Air account conflicted with Sonoma on the 14" MBP. On a fresh install of Sonoma with a blank user folder, the Fastlane worked.
Good news. It mirrored my results on a clean volume.

I think I figured out the conflict: If you had a MOTU audio interface driver installed, it interferes in Sonoma. The workaround is to remove it completely per the other thread, install the MOTU MIDI driver, then re-install the audio driver and go through that routine. Then everything will work.
FrankM

Post by FrankM »

Thanks Mike, I will defiitely keep this in mind when I update my Air's internal to Sonoma, or whatever MacOS follows that. There's no pressing reason for me to do it now.