route MIDI from several tracks track to another MIDI track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Walbertus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

route MIDI from several tracks track to another MIDI track

Post by Walbertus »

I'd like to route the playback of several MIDI tracks into 1 MIDI track. I want to do this so I can use the arp while I record this stream of notes. Can't find anything about such routing.
DP11, OSX 10.13.6, Mac Pro
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: route MIDI from several tracks track to another MIDI track

Post by stubbsonic »

If you assign those MIDI playback tracks all to the IAC Driver, then create a new track and it is set to receive "any" input, it will record the output of those tracks. (At least, that's how it works on my system).

EDIT: I tested this and zoomed all the way in to see if there was any lantency, and weirdly it looked like the bounced track was a slight fraction of a tick earlier. Not an even remotely relevant amount. Just curious.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

One way is to export the selected MIDI tracks to type 0 and import in another track.
I have not tried in DP, but should work.

Regards.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:31 pm If you assign those MIDI playback tracks all to the IAC Driver, then create a new track and it is set to receive "any" input, it will record the output of those tracks. (At least, that's how it works on my system).

EDIT: I tested this and zoomed all the way in to see if there was any lantency, and weirdly it looked like the bounced track was a slight fraction of a tick earlier. Not an even remotely relevant amount. Just curious.
Thank you for your help. I tried it and it works well enough. Although I have to record it first and then use the arp. It can't seem to go through the arp first and record while it's arping. A minor quibble.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Chandrasekar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:38 pm One way is to export the selected MIDI tracks to type 0 and import in another track.
I have not tried in DP, but should work.

Regards.
Thanks but I think the first idea works a bit easier.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Walbertus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:57 pm Thank you for your help. I tried it and it works well enough. Although I have to record it first and then use the arp. It can't seem to go through the arp first and record while it's arping. A minor quibble.
You want to record the actual arping? Like have the bounced track show the post arp pattern?

It is possible but only if all your source tracks can be on the same channel.

First, go to the Studio Menu, and down toward the bottom turn on MultiRecord (and MIDI Patch Thru).

Assign all the source tracks that you want to send into the arpeggiator to IAC Driver Channel 1. You don't need to set any specific input. You can't set it to none, unfortunately.

Now create a new MIDI track, this will be the track that receives MIDI from the other tracks, and has an arpeggiator inserted. Set the input the IAC Driver Channel 1 so it will receive your source tracks. Set the output to IAC Driver Channel 2. Set up the Arp insert the way you want it.

Now create ANOTHER MIDI track-- this will record the output of the above Arp track. Set the input the IAC Channel 2 so it will record the output of the arp track, and set the output to your destination VI/channel.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:42 pm
Walbertus wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:57 pm Thank you for your help. I tried it and it works well enough. Although I have to record it first and then use the arp. It can't seem to go through the arp first and record while it's arping. A minor quibble.
You want to record the actual arping? Like have the bounced track show the post arp pattern?

It is possible but only if all your source tracks can be on the same channel.

First, go to the Studio Menu, and down toward the bottom turn on MultiRecord (and MIDI Patch Thru).

Assign all the source tracks that you want to send into the arpeggiator to IAC Driver Channel 1. You don't need to set any specific input. You can't set it to none, unfortunately.

Now create a new MIDI track, this will be the track that receives MIDI from the other tracks, and has an arpeggiator inserted. Set the input the IAC Driver Channel 1 so it will receive your source tracks. Set the output the IAC Driver Channel 2. Set up the Arp insert the way you want it.

Now create ANOTHER MIDI track-- this will record the output of the above Arp track. Set the input the IAC Channel 2 so it will record the output of the arp track, and set the output to your destination VI/channel.
Thank you for your thorough explanation! I will try this out. Although I've been using DP for years I just hadn't done anything like this. Actually, I've been doing a lot of my preliminary MIDI sketches on the iPad then working on final editing refinement with DP. On the ipad it's just very easy to route MIDI in all sorts of ways using various apps and I've gotten spoiled by that.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Walbertus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:10 am On the ipad it's just very easy to route MIDI in all sorts of ways using various apps and I've gotten spoiled by that.
Let me know if you get it working.

I've felt lots of things about the iPad, but spoiled is not one of them. :)

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

May I ask why using IAC? It should be possible to route through instrument channel (for the arp) and merge all the MIDI to one track for recording, all without using IAC, just using internal MIDI bundles in DP... Not that it really matters that much, because basically the MIDI timestamp still gets reset either way (which is why it was recorded early, ironically). But anyway, Keeping it off an IAC bus is a little cleaner to avoid any accidental sending of MIDI to places you don't want it to go. Just wondering why did you use IAC?
IMG_0156.jpeg
IMG_0156.jpeg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 614 times
I think using IAC kind of makes sense if you are trying to funnel several MIDI tracks down to one...without using an instrument to go through.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Merging several MIDI tracks into one before arpeggiating, then record the arpeggiated result, that was the goal. I couldn't think of another way to merge them (and record the result) other than to route them through that IAC bus. If sent to the instrument track-- there's no way to choose the output of the source track as an input for the destination.

Also, arpeggiation inserted on the destination track is not recorded (understandably), which was the reason for the sort of second iteration of IAC.

If you think it could be done without IAC could you break it down, in terms of assigned ins/outs? And where the arpeggiator goes?

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

See the picture in my last post for arp example

If there is no instrument arp involved then I think you’re right you need some kind of MIDI destination to merge them and iac works for that and I can’t think of another way
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:39 pm
Walbertus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:10 am On the ipad it's just very easy to route MIDI in all sorts of ways using various apps and I've gotten spoiled by that.
Let me know if you get it working.

I've felt lots of things about the iPad, but spoiled is not one of them. :)
dewdman42 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:28 pm See the picture in my last post for arp example
Thanks to everyone again! I noticed the Cream arpeggiator and I've thought about getting that. It's also available on the ipad but it hasn't been updated for a while and might be getting behind the curve there. One reason I have enjoyed sketching ideas on the ipad is that MIDI routing and connections are so easy, I can quickly capture ideas whereas in DP, adding MIDI plug-ins can be discouraging.
The built- in DP arp is pretty good really. The interface is so bare bones that I haven't thought about it using it much before now and a lot of the features weren't apparent to me right away.
On the other hand editing MIDI and refining compositions is so much better in DP that it's beyond compare.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Walbertus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:11 am On the other hand editing MIDI and refining compositions is so much better in DP that it's beyond compare.
This.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Well.. Dp is currently my favorite DAW, don't get me wrong, but the area of arps and such it is in no way on par with other offerings. LogicPro, for example, has several ways to do step sequencing far better. And many third party plugins are out there. Cream is just one. Bluearp is free. stepic is supposed to be phenomenal and not expensive. There are numerous. And generally if you are into arps and step sequencing in general, I think using third party tools will be better then what is currently built into DP.

But one way DP is particularly good is the routing capabilities. So you can route your MIDI tracks and do whatever you want with these third party tools.

Another thing worth mentioning for arps is Loomer Architect...which is not for the faint of heart, but limitless.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've also noticed that Logic has some tools that are less crude either in use or in appearance. Some are more full featured-- e.g., chord trigger, an arp with a prettier GUI, etc. Also FX that are nicer to work with.

When I open the quantize window in DP, I see an advanced, flexible, and professional tool. The options are diverse and cleverly laid out. Same with the Arp window. Brilliant but not obviously so. Same with Transpose.

There are quite a few 3rd party tools (chord trigger, arps, generative tools, etc) for creative composition work. Sadly, I find many of them are not very customizable for advanced/experimental work. DP does provide lots of workaround or combinations to make things possible.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.