enabling direct input monitoring on 828x

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Luc_Veermeer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

enabling direct input monitoring on 828x

Post by Luc_Veermeer »

Hi all!

I'm wanting to monitor vocals/audio inputs etc pre ableton with zero latency, but can't seem to figure out how do this on the unit or on cuemix
HCMarkus

Re: enabling direct input monitoring on 828x

Post by HCMarkus »

With all respect, have you taken a look at the manual for your interface? You can download it at MOTU. CueMix software must be installed on your computer to control the 828's built-in digital mixer. You can download the software at MOTU.com as well.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/

The manual provides a detailed look at every aspect of CueMix. And here's a MOTU video that may assist you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48vYfBl3DaU

If you still have problems making it all go, please give us more details and specific questions.
goldleiazalea
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by goldleiazalea »

Opened a new project and opened a MIDI file created from another program. I then added a Waves Rhapsody piano instrument track and confirmed that the instrument operates, produces sound, etc. I routed the MIDI track to the instrument and hit play, and everything works. However, five or so minutes into doing some edits on the MIDI, the track will no longer play bars 1, 2 or 3 but will resume playing at bar 4 beat 3. When I say no longer playing, the MIDI track appears to play and the meter on the track is active but it is like nothing is getting to the instrument track. No sound. No meter activity on the instrument track for those bars. Until the cursor reaches bar 4.3 and then the sound will resume.
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

This is a bit of an issue for me right now as I'm trying to setup the 828x for in-ear monitors. Using cuemix I can get direct hardware monitoring but I've had to boost the input level significantly to get the in-ear volume up. I'm concerned about my main output, I never needed to boost before and now I'll likely have to knock my output to FOH down a lot. It really seems weird that I need to do this.

There are 8 mix busses available. I'm using bus 3 with outputs set to analog 3/4. I want to direct monitor Mic/Instrument 1 and 2 so I've unmuted those but the signal in my monitor is so low I've had to boost considerably as shown in the second screen shot.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 1.55.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 1.55.35 PM.png (391.37 KiB) Viewed 738 times
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Did you bring up the volume under INPUTS of your channels ? You will see INPUTS, MIXES and OUTPUTS. Go to INPUTS and hit Focus on the channel and then bring up the volume. Dont know if you tried that.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com