Time-signature workflow could be improved...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time-signature workflow could be improved...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi.
I discovered something I really think could be improved in how we deal with multiple time signature changes and how the metronome clicks:

The problem: There's no global way to change metronome click patterns.
Once you set the click pattern, like getting a click every quarter note, the only way to change it is to go back to the time sig and change it to what you want, which is fine when you have 1 or 2 TS changes... but if your piece has TS changes almost every measure, and is a long piece, then you have to essentially retweak every single change manually, and it's such a fantastic waste of time...

Shouldn't there be an option to be able to do these elementary changes globally ONCE??
I'd love to be able to tell DP:
"DP, keep all my TS changes but set the click to 8th notes from measures 10 to 75"

Bam! Done with one click! MOTU could improve this by adding a couple of extra options in the TS dialog box.

Case in point:
Suppose you're working with a piece like I mentioned. Then you feel that one of the sections feels a bit stiff tempo-wise, and you want to add some rubato, so you use Tap Tempo... but wait. It works best when you tap small units, so you need to tell DP that your taps are eight notes... but then you need to essentially go back and redo ALL the TS changes and set the way you want the click individually... A 20-30-minute unnecessary waste of time. And then, if you want to go back to hearing quarter-note clicks, you'd have to do it all over again for the 3rd time... :smash:

My workaround has been to create a clipping that only includes the original TS changes and click, then nuke them all by setting them to an arbitrary 1/4 measures clicking 8th notes, do the Tap Tempo, and bring them back with the clipping... but is an involved workaround which becomes silly to keep doing.

Have you ever run into this? Would you mind seeing this functionality added?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: Time-signature workflow could be improved...

Post by bayswater »

Seems like a worthwhile feature, but I wonder whether, when you have a complicated metronome pattern that needs frequent editing, it might be better to have an explicit MIDI click track playing a metronome sample. With that you could use the search and edit functions, a la Shooshie, and make changes of this sort. Or perhaps have several click tracks and turn them on and off as needed.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If DP supported MusicXML Import, this could be laid out in any notation app beforehand—the way I like to do it—and then import. As it is, you can still lay it out in notation and then export MIDI instead.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:36 pm Seems like a worthwhile feature, but I wonder whether, when you have a complicated metronome pattern that needs frequent editing, it might be better to have an explicit MIDI click track playing a metronome sample. With that you could use the search and edit functions, a la Shooshie, and make changes of this sort. Or perhaps have several click tracks and turn them on and off as needed.
mikehalloran wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:53 pm If DP supported MusicXML Import, this could be laid out in any notation app beforehand—the way I like to do it—and then import. As it is, you can still lay it out in notation and then export MIDI instead.

It's not so much the complexity of the click track.

What I really want is a way to set the click values without messing up the already-entered time signatures.
This could be solved if they could be set independently. All is needed are a couple of extra options in the existing Time Signatures dialog box.

So at one stage I might want to hear clicks every quarter note; then later I want to use eight notes (for tap tempo).

Ideally, the switch could be done with one quick command so as to not interrupt the creative workflow with workarounds.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman