MTP/AV USB + MTP2 work fine on Mac Studio M1 Max

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MTP/AV USB + MTP2 work fine on Mac Studio M1 Max

Post by James Steele »

I'm very pleased to report that the my MTP/AV with a REALLY old MTP2 daisy chained off of it, is working fine on my Mac Studio in Monterey 12.5 (which is what mine shipped with.)

The trick is get the right installer. You need Mac v91217 | May 17, 2022

Go to the MOTU Download Center here:
https://motu.com/en-us/download/

From the Product Category drop down choose MIDI Interfaces. Then choose MID Express 128 as the Product

Download the latest installer, and run it. As you can see, the installer shows "MTP AV" as one of the supported interfaces. Worked like a champ. I'm absolutely thrilled that these OLD MIDI interfaces are still working!! Event ClockWorks is working!!
Amazing!! The hard part will be figuring out where the patchlist files will go that I created with Cherry Picker on my old MacPro with Mojave. That's gonna take some fiddling around. :boohoo:

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.07.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.07.50 AM.png (111.76 KiB) Viewed 850 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MTP/AV USB + MTP2 work fine on Mac Studio M1 Max

Post by James Steele »

OMG... too cool. I found the ".midnam" files for my custom patchlists I made in Cherry Picker and put them in the correct folder, <hard drive>/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU/<manufacturer>/ and Bob's your uncle!! Too cool. This is my Roland MKS-30 custom patchlist! I'm just blown away this still works on the new Mac Studio!

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.34.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 4.34.25 AM.png (147.16 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I may have spoken too soon about ClockWorks working reliably with the MTP/AV USB. I tried muting Sysex on a particular cable and the settings don't "stick." At least they don't appear to be retained in the ClockWorks GUI. Haven't tested yet to see if it's just a graphic glitch and the settings hold in the MTP/AV itself. Tired. Will check that tomorrow.

sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Congrats on the Studio, James. Mine has been so very great for my work these past two months. Massively better than my old machine - fast and responsive. Hoping everything works out for your set-up.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.5, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
greg328

Post by greg328 »

My MTP-AV works great with my Mac Studio Ultra but I’ve got some latency issues — I’ll post a thread specific to it-
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
monogee

Post by monogee »

Thanks so much for sharing. I just received my Mac Studio last week and I was doing a fresh install of all my apps. When I saw that my Motu Mtp AV didn't show up in mac's Audio Setup, I was like, What the heck? Once again, Thanks.
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Processor 2x2.66GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
DP9 Ver. 9.5
dfiorucci

Post by dfiorucci »

James,
Thanks so much for the info just setting up my new Mac Studio 64gb and it's nice to see a solution already for this.
Thanks,
Dana
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dfiorucci wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:34 pm James,
Thanks so much for the info just setting up my new Mac Studio 64gb and it's nice to see a solution already for this.
Thanks,
Dana
Hopefully it will work for you. Don't see why not. I ended up buying a MOTU MIDI Express XT anyway. It was part of me trying to track down a problem where my MTP/AV was sending tiny sysex messages once every second back to the Mac. I thought the new interface would solve it but it never quite did. Only seems to happen when a DAW is running and it's not a big deal. Don't mind having the new interface anyway... the front panel and buttons of my old MTP/AV were getting a bit dodgy.