My new Mac Studio Ultra setup

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

kilfir
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

My new Mac Studio Ultra setup

Post by kilfir »

hi, everybody!

Long time lurker, here. Never posted yet. Too shy probably. :-)

... but I have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks! ;-)

But, as I just moved to a new Mac Studio Ultra, I can tell that it is the best computer I ever owned. And I want to share my experience with it. I don’t want to be too long, so, I will try to limit myself to the technicals.

If you want to know where I am coming, from, I am on Mac since 1985. With some journeys on the Windows side.

I have started using DP when it was called Performer version 2.2.

And I am not from the industry. Only someone composing orchestral scores for my own pleasure.

And I never got a Mac or a PC able to support the pressure I may put on it for more than a few months. :-)

My previous Mac setup was a 2010 MacPro 5.1, 2x 3,46 MHz CPU, 64 GB of memory, Metal GPU. macOS Mojave.

In case that it may help someone, here’s my whole setup with this new Mac Studio Ultra.

Running & testing DP 11 and Studio One Pro 5.5. macOS Monterey, latest version.

First of all, connected to the Mac Studio, I have an external OWC Thunderbay Flex 8. The secondary but the most important piece of gear for the whole setup.

To it, I have added a OWC U2 Shuttle for M.2 SSDs [4TB Sabrent Rocket Q, 2TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 970 Plus, right now). In the first bay.

These SSDs are coming from a self constructed Windows 10 PC that I have disliked for the last 2 years. :-)

I also put in the Flex 8, 2 regular SSDs (a 4Tb Micron & a 2 Tb from OWC). In bay 3 & 4.

The next step was to install my 3 regular spinning hard drives from the MacPro 5.1 (12TB, 10TB and 6TB). Bay 6,7 and 8.

And in the PCIe slot extension, YES, I have installed a UAD Octo PCIe card. And it is working fine after a few hours of testing with DP.

What else do I have connected?

2 x 32, 4K, Dell Monitors (1 via HDMI + 1 via USB-C)
A OWC Blu-ray writer. Toast 20.
A OWC USB-C Drive Dock for backup purposes. Through the Flex 8.
An external Samsung 14To Time Machine hard drive.

A Motu 1248 via USB
A Motu MTP/AV via USB, and, YES, it is finally working with the latest driver suggested by Mike Halloran. ;-)

2 USB-A & USB-C hubs. 1 through the Flex 8, 1 to a T3 port.
A few iLok, Waves and licenser keys.

One conclusion. Everything is working fine so far. So, it is time to open some old DP projects to push the limits of that new setup.

Michel Amyot
Mac Studio Ultra (2022) 128 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.4
DP11, Motu MTP/AV USB, Motu 1248
OWC ThunderBay Flex 8, OWC U2 Shuttle
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My new Mac Studio Ultra setup

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for jumping on and sharing the details about that rig. With your long history with DP, you're aware of the various triumphs and frustrations over the years. Hope you have some fun smooth sailing with that powerhouse rig!!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Great to hear.

My rig has been almost identical to yours (Mac Pro 5.1). Looking forward to getting the Mac Studio Ultra myself.

Thanks for posting.

Dan V.
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Glad the new Mac is working well. I recently moved from a 5,1 dual x5680 to an Ultra and am loving it, too. Was able to migrate a documentary score from old to new, DP10.13 to DP11.1, mid-project with little difficulty.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Hi Michel

Well, you may not be "from the industry", but you certainly are a power user. That is a totally pro setup, much more elaborate than mine and I do do it for a living. Well, ok, used to, Haha.

What instruments are you using?

Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
kilfir
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by kilfir »

I have saved for years to be able to afford that rig. :-)

As I do not define myself as a "real" musician, I prefer the "creation" side of things.

But I am far from Hans Zimmer, Maurice Ravel or Igor Stravinsky. :-)

I think I am still impressed by the later when I first heard Le Sacre du Printemps when I was 2 years old. True story.

So, I just try to gives some reality to the stories and sounds that are living in my head. Each instrument representing an human being.

And, for that, to answer your question, I mainly use Samples Libraries mixed with virtual & synths instruments.

Products that comes to mind are Orchestral Tools libraries [from their beginning around 2012). I really like the Teldex sound, Strezov libraries, some Spitfire, Soniccouture, Cinesamples, East-West, Native Instruments, Toontrack, Virharmonic, VSL and a few others.

On the virtual synths side, I always rely on U-he products, Korg, UVI Falcon, Cherry Audio and many products from smaller developers.
Mac Studio Ultra (2022) 128 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.4
DP11, Motu MTP/AV USB, Motu 1248
OWC ThunderBay Flex 8, OWC U2 Shuttle