DP 11.1 is out now!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.1 is out now!

Post by HCMarkus »

I have documented for MOTU what may actually be a couple of daily minor bugs, as opposed to my recent waltz with CC1 that was completely my own user error... Neither bug is a big deal, but just pointing out for others who may encounter them.

1) On the new combo MIDI/VI channels, in the Mixer Window, the Automation Record button does not stop flashing while automation data is being recorded. The Automation Record button functions properly on Audio and MIDI-only tracks.

2) The label for CC11/Expression is missing from the drop down menu within the Sequence Editor view selector. Unlike "Notes", "Volume" or other CC Data, Expression simply shows a blank label. This is a bug I've noted in DP10, on my old Mac Pro, too.

I sent a little video to MOTU demoing these issues...

https://cdn-data.motu.com/django_prod/t ... 8%20PM.mov

The middle track of the Mixer Window in the video is the Combo Track. The lack of the Expression label is documented towards the video's end. I recorded the Expression data before capturing the video.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Well, ONE of the two is a bug. MOTU will be looking to fix the Automation record button behavior.

The Expression label, well, chalk another one up to likely User Error on my part. Although I can't completely rule out the possibility DP spontaneously deleted CC11's label on its own, odds are pretty good I deleted the label by mistake at some point.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good on ya Brother Sir Markus. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Killahurts wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:52 am
joelmusic wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 pm Is it just me or is anyone having issues with MIDI capture and playback timing with 11.1? For my job I have to sync my piano performances (I play on a Disklavier) to audio - suddenly the MIDI is getting captured like 50 ticks late — and weirder, once I _realign_ it to the audio, it drifts - I’m having to constantly adjust the delay on the ‘MIDI time shift’ plug-in.
Are you using the 500ms "Delay in" mode on the Disklavier? The behavior you described sounds a lot like what happens to mine if I don't have that turned on.
Hello - yeah, it's not the 500ms delay option that allows the piano to 'think' before playing back incoming MIDI. It's in the cracks, timing-wise. So strange. Anyway, when I bought my Mac Studio recently, I had to download a new 'driver' for the Disklavier to be compatible with the M1 computer, and I'm thinking the issue is with that because when I re-boot the Mac & DKV it fixes the problem ... until a few hours of work goes by and it happens again. Data is captured late but played back on time. So if I play and capture a note on the downbeat, it'll look really late. If I quantize it to be on the beat, it'll _sound_ early. then I reboot and it all aligns again. Anyway, good to meet a fellow Disklavier user... :)
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

joelmusic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 am Anyway, when I bought my Mac Studio recently, I had to download a new 'driver' for the Disklavier to be compatible with the M1 computer, and I'm thinking the issue is with that because when I re-boot the Mac & DKV it fixes the problem ... until a few hours of work goes by and it happens again. Data is captured late but played back on time. So if I play and capture a note on the downbeat, it'll look really late. If I quantize it to be on the beat, it'll _sound_ early. then I reboot and it all aligns again. Anyway, good to meet a fellow Disklavier user... :)
Yes probably the new driver and/or the M1, if rebooting fixes it temporarily. If it was DP it would do that all the time, right?

I got my DC7 in the early 2000's, and it has the original brains, so MIDI I/O only. USB connection to the computer wasn't yet a thing in those days. I moved it out of the studio and into the house several years ago, so to record MIDI on it I use either my iPad Pro, or my wife's laptop with a simple MIDI interface. I was wondering recently if I could replace my old electronics box for a newer model, but your issue is making me appreciate the simplicity of what I have! :)
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Killahurts wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:07 am
joelmusic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:09 am Anyway, when I bought my Mac Studio recently, I had to download a new 'driver' for the Disklavier to be compatible with the M1 computer, and I'm thinking the issue is with that because when I re-boot the Mac & DKV it fixes the problem ... until a few hours of work goes by and it happens again. Data is captured late but played back on time. So if I play and capture a note on the downbeat, it'll look really late. If I quantize it to be on the beat, it'll _sound_ early. then I reboot and it all aligns again. Anyway, good to meet a fellow Disklavier user... :)
I was wondering recently if I could replace my old electronics box for a newer model
Yes, MIDI is just fine for the Disklavier - I never had any problems with it - no need for USB. I do work for Yamaha as an independent developer - so I always have the latest one - which I _could_ run MIDI I suppose, but my MPTAV finally started getting sketchy after ... geez I don't know - 20 years? So far USB has worked fine - may get another MIDI interface at some point if they haven't fixed it. Anyway, you _can_ get a new control unit for your Disklavier - with option for MIDI or USB. Do you have a Mark III or Mark IV? The IV has way more sensitivity comparatively - you can get into the low velocities and really play with nuance...that'd be a good and noticeable upgrade.
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
PhireAlly

Post by PhireAlly »

joelmusic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:00 pm my MPTAV finally started getting sketchy after ... geez I don't know - 20 years?
Hi All,
I've had weird behavior from my MTP AV recently as well, but a brand new backup battery replacement quickly got it performing like new again.

Just a thought.
PhireAlly
MacMini M1, 8-Core @ 3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, MacOS 12.6.5 (Monterey)
MOTU 1248 - MOTU 16A - (2) MOTU 8A - Arturia AudioFuse - Antelope ZenGO
Studio One Pro 6 - Logic Pro 10 - Nuendo 12 - MOTU DP 11

Acustica - Antares - Apogee - Arturia - Blue Cat - Boz Digital - Celemony - Dolby - Eventide - FabFilter - Flux
HorNet - IK - iZotope - Kazrog - McDSP - Melda - Nomad Factory
Plugin-Alliance - Softube - Soundtoys - Tokyo Dawn - UAD-2_TB2 & PCIe
Valhalla - Waves v14