DP 11.1 is out now!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.1 is out now!

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:17 am I like to use both (CC7 and Volume) for some things, because you can automate one and use the other for final mix adjustments.
This.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

dix wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:17 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:05 pm It was/is nice to have the MIDI volume fader in virtual instruments that support it, but that list is pretty small these days, out of dozens of virtual instrument here, only Kontakt, Falcon, Arturia synths (for the most part) support without too much set up CC7 volume control, otherwise it's a bit of a hack. So when hopping to the Mixer there's all these MIDI mixer channels that don't do anything. So IMO this has been a long long time coming, the only "downside" is having to use a MIDI track with a VI to get CC7 automation via the MIDI fader if it supports it.
This makes a lot of sense, and explains something that's been baffling me.

I've noticed in the last few years that some newer VIs don't support CC7 volume by default, and some don't even allow assigning controllers to the volume. Almost all the VIs in my rig still do (in addition to what's above Omnisphere, Ivory, Pianoteq, Sine, Spitfire, all MOTU VIs, M-Tron, Opus come to mind) - but not all newer ones. Being so DP-centric, using a CC7 MIDI fader is so ingrained in my workflow, I couldn't understand how people were mixing VI levels without it. But, duh. If you only have one instrument per MIDI track you just treat the track as you would an audio track. This still seems a lot less elegant than using a MIDI fader to me. Unless I'm missing something that means, unless you want to use a mouse to set all the volumes (or have a control surface I guess), you have to dedicate separate MIDI fader to each VI/MIDI track - rather than using tracks' Record Enable to use a single MIDI fader to set the volume of any track in the project.

Until DP gave us this option, and Michael, who is much more fluent in other DAW's, explained this, I just thought developers were being dense...I still think that, but they're much less dense than I assumed.
I would love it if Motu added CC-1 to to the channel-strip window.

I use the channel strip constantly, and one of the things I do is if I need to punch in cc-7 data on a track, I can see on channel-strip where the punch-in level is, move my MIDI fader until it matches and then do the punch and ride the level of cc-7 volume without any jumps.

You can't do this with CC-1 however.

CC-1 has become the de-facto "volume-control" for every VI out there (Spitfire, Vienna, etc.), so it's maddening that you can't see your level like you can with CC-7. None of the hardware moving-fader controllers support this either.

If Motu added it to the channel strip you could easily punch in and out of CC-1, something I do all day.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
frankf

Post by frankf »

When working with DP and virtual instruments I’ve always used the paradigm of a MIDI controlled external synth with its audio patched back to a physical mixer:
-CC7 is like a physical volume controller on the synth module. I most often set it and leave it.
-CC11 I use as a volume or other controller when recording usually with a MIDI foot pedal.
-Because I return (patch) VI audio through DP busses to aux tracks then to my monitors and or main mix tracks, I can then do final automation, send to reverbs, etc. and insert any effects in the audio realm and automate there at higher resolution than available with MIDI

Also I always drop DP snapshots for all the above controllers and more in the count off bars of my templates to avoid the surprises of automation values jumping around at the sequences start point.

I understand that others may have different workflows but I’ve been working this way for a long time and it has served me well. While I get it that others work differently and, as is being discussed here, the new DP 11.1 features may help many users, I will probably remain with this workflow for a while FWIW. Old dogs…:)

If I may mention 1 tip relating to a comment regarding “running out of monitor space for tracks”. The DP Group and Folder features allow several ways of collapsing and organizing tracks which will maximize availability of screen space.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
dix

Post by dix »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:36 am I would love it if Motu added CC-1 to to the channel-strip window.

...CC-1 has become the de-facto "volume-control" for every VI out there (Spitfire, Vienna, etc.), so it's maddening that you can't see your level like you can with CC-7. None of the hardware moving-fader controllers support this either.
This would be innovative. CC1 (mod wheel) isn't usually volume per se, but it is the defacto dynamic layer controller on virtually all orchestral instruments. Having a CC1 fader (or maybe an assignable CC-fader) could be useful.

Re CC7 vs volume automation. As mentioned they both have their uses. I didn't know the resolution of vol automation vs cc7 before this (500 vs 128), but I routinely use volume automation when I need the detail - especially on the tails of a piece. CC7 works on almost everything else, and is crucial when you're just searching for patches etc.

Along these lines I noticed that Opus's CC7 control is sort of pre-fader, or at least pre-reverb, so reverb tails are unaffected by CC7...I can't quite figure out what's going on (some sort of internal VCA-style scheme?). The wet/dry mix doesn't change, but when fading all the way to CC7 0 the tail dies on its own. Anyway, this seems really smart - you can always dump the reverb tail with volume automation if need be. I'm not sure any other plugins do this.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
npj

Post by npj »

Z car guy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:38 am I lost audio input recording after this update . Output works fine and everything else seems normal . DP sees my interface , but no audio makes it into DP , not even showing on input monitor and even tried loopback too. I even tested with iMovie to make sure interface gets audio into Mac . It must be some preference I cant find that bumped this off ? I tried deleting some preferences but same issue .

Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you
Same here! Took me a while to realise. All the same as you. I'm using a SSL2+.

Jump back to DP11.04 and audio starts working again. :?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:35 pm
Z car guy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:38 am I lost audio input recording after this update . Output works fine and everything else seems normal . DP sees my interface , but no audio makes it into DP , not even showing on input monitor and even tried loopback too. I even tested with iMovie to make sure interface gets audio into Mac . It must be some preference I cant find that bumped this off ? I tried deleting some preferences but same issue .

Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you
Same here! Took me a while to realise. All the same as you. I'm using a SSL2+.

Jump back to DP11.04 and audio starts working again. :?
Go to System Settings / Security and Privacy and make sure DP 11.1 is set to be able to use the Microphone.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Working for me-

except...

• everything in the Help menu is unavailable (greyed out)

• when working with MIDI data in the Instrument tracks, with only one track visible in the MIDI Editor, making a selection and Option-Spacebar plays all the Instrument tracks instead of just what's visible and selected. Same thing happens with selected single track 'blocks' of MIDI data in the Tracks window. Data in standard MIDI tracks works correctly, as before.

• in a VI window, switching the window to view another VI by using the drop-down in the upper left is broken- the window shrinks as if the newly selected VI is disabled. I have to click the insert slot on the Instrument track to get it to open

Anyone else?
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
dix

Post by dix »

SMS wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm Working for me-

except...

• when working with MIDI data in the Instrument tracks, with only one track visible in the MIDI Editor, making a selection and Option-Spacebar plays all the Instrument tracks instead of just what's visible and selected. Same thing happens with selected single track 'blocks' of MIDI data in the Tracks window. Data in standard MIDI tracks works correctly, as before.

• in a VI window, switching the window to view another VI by using the drop-down in the upper left is broken- the window shrinks as if the newly selected VI is disabled. I have to click the insert slot on the Instrument track to get it to open

Anyone else?
I'm only seeing the third one. Selecting VI's or plugins on other tracks looks like there's no plugin instantiated. when there is, if you navigate via the dropdown menu.

Help is all there for me. Re Option-Spacebar I think you have to be in Solo to get the behavior you describe, no? ...come to think of it I thought I had Ctrl+SpaceBar set to Play Only Selected Events (which may be what you want), but that's no longer a command from what I can see. Did we lose that, or did I dream this?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
SMS

Post by SMS »

dix wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm

except...

Anyone else?
I'm only seeing the third one. Selecting VI's or plugins on other tracks looks like there's no plugin instantiated. when there is, if you navigate via the dropdown menu.

Help is all there for me. Re Option-Spacebar I think you have to be in Solo to get the behavior you describe, no? ...come to think of it I thought I had Ctrl+SpaceBar set to Play Only Selected Events (which may be what you want), but that's no longer a command from what I can see. Did we lose that, or did I dream this?
Thanks for testing. I was running in Rosetta. Launching in native fixes Help menu, but other 2 persist. Region>"Audition Selection" in the Commands window is the option-spacebar function I'm referring to. Solo not required. It works as expected in legacy MIDI tracks and audio. Can't imagine working without it!
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
dix

Post by dix »

SMS wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:25 pm
dix wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm

except...

Anyone else?

Thanks for testing. I was running in Rosetta. Launching in native fixes Help menu, but other 2 persist. Region>"Audition Selection" in the Commands window is the option-spacebar function I'm referring to. Solo not required. It works as expected in legacy MIDI tracks and audio. Can't imagine working without it!
Ah! "Audition Selection" is what I was thinking of, and what was not working for me either. My key command for that operation is Ctrl+SpaceBar (I think Opt+Spacebar is "Play From Selection" for most of us).

I found the problem for me. The MasOS Keyboard prefs had usurped Ctrl+SpaceBar for a shortcut. Once I removed that I again can "Audition Selection". My guess is you'll find a conflict there (Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts) too.
SMS

Post by SMS »

dix wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:27 pm
dix wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm I'm only seeing the third one. Selecting VI's or plugins on other tracks looks like there's no plugin instantiated. when there is, if you navigate via the dropdown menu.

Ah! "Audition Selection" is what I was thinking of, and what was not working for me either. My key command for that operation is Ctrl+SpaceBar (I think Opt+Spacebar is "Play From Selection" for most of us).

I found the problem for me. The MasOS Keyboard prefs had usurped Ctrl+SpaceBar for a shortcut. Once I removed that I again can "Audition Selection". My guess is you'll find a conflict there (Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts) too.
The key command works. it's the feature that's broken. It ignores the selection
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
dix

Post by dix »

SMS wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:04 pm
dix wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:27 pm

The key command works. it's the feature that's broken. It ignores the selection
Oh. You're right. Audition Selection, via Key command or from the Region menu, now simply Plays the sequence (but without event chasing) from selection just as you say. It happens in the SE and the ME for me. 'Twas working in 11.04. I just reported it to MOTU, who's already been able to reproduce and has logged it for further investigation.
Last edited by dix on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
SMS

Re: DP 11.1 is out now! New instrument tracks

Post by SMS »

Loving the new instrument track set up. I’m wondering if anybody else would like a preference to allow you to click on the track and have it open the MIDI edit window instead of opening the instrument. Minor deal but that one keeps biting me as I’m working in the new paradigm. Maybe having a modifier key with the click could let you toggle what opens in response to a click on a track name.
Last edited by SMS on Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Double clicking the name of an Instrument track has always opened the instrument, hasn’t it? You can still double click anywhere in the track’s timeline to open the MIDI editor.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

James Steele wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:12 am Double clicking the name of an Instrument track has always opened the instrument, hasn’t it? You can still double click anywhere in the track’s timeline to open the MIDI editor.
Yes. But now is it primarily a MIDI track or an Instrument track? I'm just so used to clicking the Track name to open the MIDI Editor, wondering if others would like to be able to have it behave that way. A minor adjustment to workflow. I'll live.

I generally open the Instrument by using the "Open Instrument " command; command-option-shift-I for me.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT