Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac mouse--zoom with side buttons?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

greg328
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac mouse--zoom with side buttons?

Post by greg328 »

Hello all---I've used a Logitech Performance MX mouse for years and loved how I could zoom in and out in the DP tracks/sequence window with the side thumb buttons. I'm now using a different Mac running OS 12 Monterey and the older Logi mouse buttons are no longer supported--they don't zoom in/out in DP. :-(

So--I bought the new Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac mouse--compatible with OS 11/12. Supposedly.

Set it up today and tested it within DP 11. The side buttons are not zooming. If memory serves, "zoom" was the default function on the older Logi mouse when in DP. There is an included app called Logi Options, which allows programming for all the mouse controls. I've looked at all the button function options available, I see no "zoom" ability.

Does anybody have any experience with the new Logitech mouse and DP? Would love to know your settings if you've found a way to use the left side thumb buttons to zoom in/out, like the "old days"! (great "Chicago" song reference!!). :-)

Best regards,
Greg Giacona
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
stubbsonic

Re: Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac mouse--zoom with side buttons?

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but I'll describe how I get my mouse to do such things.

First, is to look at DP's commands list to see what keystrokes (key-combinations) are assigned to the zoom functions you want.

Next, go to the mouse configuration and set it up those buttons to generate those keystroke/combinations when they are pressed.

The additional thing you can do in some of those configurations is to only have that mouse behavior when DP is the up-front app.

Ok. Now if the Logitech mouse software is too limiting, you can check out SteerMouse. I've used it for years. It's really flexible and works great! You can check to make sure that the Logitch MX Master 3 is compatible (it probably is).

https://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
greg328

Post by greg328 »

This is great info Stubbsonic thank you,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

BTW, the MX Master side scroll wheel is awesome for horizontal scrolling within DP. That's how I set mine up.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have a snazzy gaming mouse with lots of buttons, and I used to have it programmed so that a "press wheel" would zoom in and out.

I need to spend some time re-programming things and dialing in my prefs.

As an aside, I want to make some kind of mouse gesture that disables the grid-snap when I drag select (or enables it when I drag).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

greg328

Post by greg328 »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:50 am BTW, the MX Master side scroll wheel is awesome for horizontal scrolling within DP. That's how I set mine up.
Yep that works great! Seems to be the default assignment on the MX Master 3 scroll wheel. I am also always zooming in and out, as I edit---a function once performed by the previous Performance MX mouse but this one is not cooperating. I'll check out the DP commands list and try to re=create that with the side buttons.

Greg
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Update— was able to easily program the side buttons to zoom using DP’s key command list

zoom in and out are “command-left arrow” and “command-right arrow”, by the way.

Lots of permissions to grant in these new Mac OS versions— drives me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

greg328 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:20 pm Lots of permissions to grant in these new Mac OS versions— drives me crazy!
Yea, that's one thing I'm really not looking forward to when I get a new MBP in the coming months.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The one thing that neither the Logitech MX Master 3 nor Steermouse can do is assign the Shift, Command or Option keys to buttons. As combination with other keys, yes, but not on their own.

I worked with Logitech, Steermouse and Apple Accessibility Support (yes, they have that) to make it work before returning the one that I bought.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Perhaps this has changed. I just opened Steer Mouse and assigned the "Shift" modifier to a button with "none" as the keypress. I then opened a text file and typed lower case with the button off, and upper case with the button pressed.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:35 pm Perhaps this has changed. I just opened Steer Mouse and assigned the "Shift" modifier to a button with "none" as the keypress. I then opened a text file and typed lower case with the button off, and upper case with the button pressed.
Can you shift-click to select multiple tracks in DP? If so, I might try this again.

Command-drag is the big one for me, however. Assigning the buttons is easy but I could make it work only two or three times before it would lock up. Turning the mouse off and waiting (wireless) or disconnecting, waiting and reconnecting (wired) would bring it back to life — till the next time a few minutes later. Amazon’s 30 day return policy was my friend.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:34 pm The one thing that neither the Logitech MX Master 3 nor Steermouse can do is assign the Shift, Command or Option keys to buttons. As combination with other keys, yes, but not on their own.

I worked with Logitech, Steermouse and Apple Accessibility Support (yes, they have that) to make it work before returning the one that I bought.
So I use USB Overdrive, same long history on Mac, same low price etc. Now I can set up the Shift, Command, or Option keys to buttons, along with the single mouse click if that helps. Can't set it without a mouse click, but for a lot of things this is what you would want anyway. Using a MX Revolution mouse I can Option drag to copy holding down that one modifier for instance. Or in the case of DP option click a track to rename it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:41 pm Can you shift-click to select multiple tracks in DP? If so, I might try this again.
Yes. I tried the shift-clicking (using the mouse button as stand-in for shift) and it worked in finder and DP just as it would if I was holding the actual shift key.

Logitech G502 and steermouse