motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
arfo62
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Post by arfo62 »

Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum and this is my first post; I wish I discovered the forum before than I did...
I use a MOTU828mkII firewire on a Macmini late 2012 with OSX Mojave and I still can't figure out if and how I can address my streaming audio (coming from internet) to my main outs (I set the box in the MIDI-audio panel but with no results, as you can see in the attached image); the same is for audio preview: if I press the spacebar I can only hear the audio preview in an analog pair of outputs...
Thank you for helping me...
Arturo

cuttime

Re: motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Post by cuttime »

What browser are you using for the internet audio streaming? Firefox, for the longest time, would not allow me to choose an output device, and has only recently been fixed. I suggest using a different browser and see if that works.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
arfo62

Post by arfo62 »

Hi cutttime,
I mainly use Firefox and Chrome, sometimes Safari, but I didn't find any audio routing options...
And what about audio file preview?
Thank you for answering,
Arturo
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With your interface on, go to System Preferences/Sound. You should be able to select your 828 as both the input and output devices.

Although you can assign it anywhere, it should default to your Main Outs and mirrored in your headphones. I would reset the unit to defaults and see what happens.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
arfo62

Post by arfo62 »

Hi Mike,
thank you for answering.
I've set my outputs in the audio preferences (see image) but audio still comes out from analog outputs (5-6) and I don't understand why...
I'm not shure I've understood weel the use of output setting in the "configure speakers" (previous post image).
I'll try to reset my MOTU and I'll let you know (my I disconnect firewire when unit and mac are on or should I switch thme off before?
Thanx,
Arturo
arfo62

Post by arfo62 »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am With your interface on, go to System Preferences/Sound. You should be able to select your 828 as both the input and output devices.

Although you can assign it anywhere, it should default to your Main Outs and mirrored in your headphones. I would reset the unit to defaults and see what happens.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset
Hello Mike,
I finally reset my MOTU but anything seems to be changed...
If I preview audio files (spacebar) - like mp3, wav, etc - I still get the audio from audio output 5-6 but I can't find out how to change this setting and where it is established...
I'm asking if my MOTU is still compatible with my OS (Mojave) but I didn't find anything stating that it's not...
Have you any other suggestion?
Thank you very much,
arfo
classyharlan

Post by classyharlan »

Have you tried changing the "Streaming" dropdown box in your "Dispositivi Audio" screen?
MIDI express xt on win 98
MIDI express xt usb on windows 10
MIDI time piece ii with no computer to connect it to
828 original on leopard
arfo62

Post by arfo62 »

Hi Classyharian,
I did it but with no results... :(
Thank you,
arfo
chapito

Post by chapito »

Until this week I was using a similar setup ( Traveler mk1 FW400 with a 2011 iMac)
If you are still using the "old" MOTU Audio Setup when your 828 is connected...
You'll need to open that app and check that you have the Default Outs set to Analog 1-2 (not 5-6)

(IM sorry I can't post a pic since I don't have that interface attached anymore)

You might also try a Factory reset too?
8Pre-ES THB2 / 2011 iMac / macOS 10.13.4 / Logic Pro X / Finale26
arfo62

Post by arfo62 »

Hi Chapito,
I'm using the MOTU Audio Setup ultimate version (1.6 83634) but anything changed.
Last sunday I made a test and I came to the conclusion that there's a compatibility problem beetween 828mkII and Mojave: I remembered that I have a OS Maverick bootable backup on an external hd so I started it and magically I could set any output couple I wanted...
As I maybe wrote yet, it's (still?) not a major issue because it's only related to OS audio preferences but I can route ins/outs as I want in Cubase and Live, that I mainly use for music production, but I'm afraid things could get worst in the future, with new OS upgrade; hope i'm wrong...
Arturo