Microbook II not appearing on M1 iMac after update to 11.5.2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Microbook II not appearing on M1 iMac after update to 11.5.2

Post by nick danger »

It still works on my 2009 iMac. Anyone else having this problem? Doesn't show up in Audio MIDI setup either. Reinstalled latest drivers, but no go.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
eliercaro
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Microbook II not appearing on M1 iMac after update to 11.5.2

Post by eliercaro »

Same problem here, Microbook IIc but with Mac intel bigsur 11.5.2 doesn't work.
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nick danger »

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but this is the response from a tech link query I posted----

Thanks for reaching out. I'm not sure how a maintenance update would change this if you were already on Big Sur. But here's what I would try anyways.

- Unplug your MicroBook II

- Open a Finder window and go to Applications. Move CueMix and all other MOTU applications to the Trash

- Once you've done that, go to Macintosh HD > Library > Extensions > move the MOTU.kext files to the Trash (there should be 4 of them)

- Restart your computer

- Next, go to motu.com/download and get the MOTU Audio Installer for Mac v1.6.83634 | Jan. 2, 2020

- Run the installer.

- Restart your computer again once it completes

- Immediately after restarting, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab > and ALLOW the blocked MOTU software to run.

- You should be able to plug in your MicroBook II and get it recognized.

Thanks,
Brendan - MOTU
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
1sec

Post by 1sec »

Hi Brendan,

I am facing the same problem, unfortunately there is no 2020 version of the Motu Microbook II driver.
Latest driver is 2017 (73220).

Can you please upload the 2020 driver?

I did all the above steps and still my Motu Microbook ii is not recognized.Also tried different USB ports/cables.
I am running on Macos Mojave (10.14), Macbook Pro (15'' mid 2015), fresh install, just for the music.

I downgraded to 10.14 (from 10.15) just because I could not find a driver for Catalina.
Also I had it running before, 3 years ago on the same Macbook.
Following your install guide there is no "Allow" button, maybe it is already allowed since I pressed the button on the installation before.

How can I make the interface run please?

Kind regards
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I have a MicroBook IIc and have to go through this every time there's an update to MacOS. Follow the instructions given earlier in this thread to install the most current driver. If CueMix FX doesn't see your interface do the following:

Quit CueMix FX
Open Terminal and run this:
sudo kextutil -v /Library/Extensions/MOTUMicroBookAudio.kext
(You'll need to provide your admin password)
Quit Terminal and restart your computer.
Unplug and replug your Microbook II.
Launch CueMix FX.
It should now see your Microbook.

--Kurt
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
1sec

Post by 1sec »

Hi Kurt,

thank you for responding.
I tried your tutorial but it does not go on my system. Microbook still not showing, neither in Audio Setup nor in CueMix FX.

Maybe the firmware update is faulty.

The interface also came with a CD, but I don't even have a CD-Rom anymore .... :)

The firmware update was possible though.

Kind regards
1sec

Post by 1sec »

Hi Kurt again,

actually now it goes :D :D :D

Thanks alot man.

How did you find that out?

Greetings from the country NI comes from :)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Fookin' great Kurt. :smash:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

1sec wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm Hi Kurt,

thank you for responding.
I tried your tutorial but it does not go on my system. Microbook still not showing, neither in Audio Setup nor in CueMix FX.

Maybe the firmware update is faulty.

The interface also came with a CD, but I don't even have a CD-Rom anymore .... :)

The firmware update was possible though.

Kind regards
The last Firmware update was from 2013, eight years ago. I'm going to guess that's not the problem. You need the correct driver:
MOTU Audio Installer Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021 macOS 12, macOS 11

Then you need to allow it under System Preferences/Security

See my posts in this thread on how to find and install it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69619

Since you're running Big Sur, you do not need the older driver.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Glad it worked. I got that from MOTU tech support after the steps for installing the latest driver didn’t solve the problem.

Good news… it works, although you might need to replug the unit more than once. Bad news… you’ll probably have to do this after every MacOS update.

I hope to get back to the place “where NI comes from” again someday. I’ve been there several times and love it there, but international travel is so unpredictable right now.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.