DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by toodamnhip »

FMiguelez wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 am Sorry, but I also must ask this...

Have the unwanted damned automation ramps issues and bugs been fixed when pasting or snipping in DP 11? Has anyone tried it?

That will probaly determine if I stayin DP9.5 or I upgrade to 11...
Yes! for the most part.
There are occasional pasting methods I don't recall that can still make goofy ramps, but 95% of the time, the problem is handled. Enough so that I cut and paste now without thinking much about it. If a mix gets long and large, I will occasionally check under the hood and find a few ramps, but not many.
This DP design error was fixed in DP 10. something.
MOTO calls this feature "Interpolate". It is located as follows: Setup/Event Chasing- bottom of the window you will see a check box to turn it on and off. I was very very very very very happy to see this and applaud MOTU for it! Thank you.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

studiostuff wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:25 pm
dewdman42 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:25 pm anyone know if the boxed version, when it becomes available, will include a printed manual?
I upgraded to DP11 today (download) and called them to ask the same question.

They told me that the only printed manual that would become available would be a 200-page "How to get set up and started sort of manual". It will be available to those wanting it at no charge other than the cost of the shipping to you.

There will not be a 900-page reference printed manual (which is what I called hoping to be able to buy as a separate item). But I suppose all of that info is available under the reference tab under "Help" at the top of the page.
Just like DP 9 and DP 10.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

toodamnhip wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:22 am Ibuilt the most extravagant console maybe 15+ years ago for the Roland VS880. I had the whole thing taped, even effects automated. Roland even came to my studio to see it. It was quite an ordeal to make it. Haven't used consoles since. But by distant recollection, it would have to be made for each new track or CC data. In other words, I believe it would either have to be built an extraordinary amount of times. Its been awhile. But no matter, this is far too difficult even though it is a fantastic under the hood feature for DP. But I am looking for something a bit more elegant than a console approach. Something dedicated and quick to access,,,like a fader.
Yea, that makes sense. It seems like there's been a general shift from external MIDI-- so if VI's publish parameters for automation-- that's handled. But if the corresponding CC's required to control external MIDI equipment, or plugins requiring MIDI control (as opposed to AU/VST automation) it must be handled "the hard way". It would be cool if down in the bottom panel of the MIDI editor, you could select a CC type, and then enable a fader for that type-- a preference could let you choose an event density-- or perhaps the grid snap could be used in that way- so you could record CC's with the fader based on the grid setting or if grid is off, then some reasonable density that won't choke the MIDI stream.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, like I said, thank goodness it's a PDF! Nothing worse than clicking on "manual", "?", or "Help" in a plug-in, and it launching your default browser in order to display an HTML-only "manual" or a video-only "manual". Goodbye session! Now a half hour is lost bootstrapping the computer back into adequate resources available to DP. Hope you weren't doing anything important and creative, especially with a client! PDF's open in standalone mode.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
syntonica

Post by syntonica »

mhschmieder wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:20 pm Yep, like I said, thank goodness it's a PDF! Nothing worse than clicking on "manual", "?", or "Help" in a plug-in, and it launching your default browser in order to display an HTML-only "manual" or a video-only "manual". Goodbye session! Now a half hour is lost bootstrapping the computer back into adequate resources available to DP. Hope you weren't doing anything important and creative, especially with a client! PDF's open in standalone mode.
I keep all of my manuals on an old iPad Mini 2 so I can read the them while fiddling with whichever device or program I'm using.

The search function isn't quite the best, but it's better than relying on the index at the back and an iPad is quite a bit lighter than a 1,000 page manual. I can hold it with one hand.

Also, if you end up with a dreaded HTML manual, all on one page, you can "print" it as a PDF for better reading and searching.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Kenny B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:51 am So I downloaded DP 11 and opened a project that I had been working on to try the bounce to disk thing.... of course as I expected, the bug that causes the BTD to pause, then restart happened again... only once during the BTD but still annoying.

I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with this problem. Maddening. On a tricked out 12-core 3.3ghz MP 2010 5,1 w/ 80GB RAM and Mojave, all SSD work drives. This should not be an issue!
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Will DP11 finally properly import OMF or AAF files exported from Premiere?
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

***** DELETED *****

The reported input gain problem was at the interface level, not DP11 related.

A weird mode that it got into accidentally.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

FWIW,
I'm getting better performance from my old cheesegrater on DP11.
A heavy session no longer busts the Audio Performance with clicks and pops.
DP11 is much better and I'm even going to 64 buffer for recording VIs.
They must have done something about the efficiency.
I think I can keep this old box for a year or two.

That said, I'm bound for AS when it comes up to MacPro form.
All is well
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

ghobish wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:01 pm
Kenny B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:51 am So I downloaded DP 11 and opened a project that I had been working on to try the bounce to disk thing.... of course as I expected, the bug that causes the BTD to pause, then restart happened again... only once during the BTD but still annoying.

I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one with this problem. Maddening. On a tricked out 12-core 3.3ghz MP 2010 5,1 w/ 80GB RAM and Mojave, all SSD work drives. This should not be an issue!
It is to those of us that have tricked-out, super powerful machines and fast hard drives, that this problem happens.

AFAIK, MOTU has not acknowledged the issue, so I'm not surprised there is no fix.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waterstrum wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:03 am FWIW,

Thanks for the report. Methinks I'm gonna' have to push the "buy" button sooner than I expected.

And +1 on Apple Silicon. Looks like the current gen is pretty much on a par with the 12 Core 5,1. Next gen AS, regardless of form-factor, may be the hot ticket.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:18 am

Thanks for the report. Methinks I'm gonna' have to push the "buy" button sooner than I expected.

And +1 on Apple Silicon. Looks like the current gen is pretty much on a par with the 12 Core 5,1. Next gen AS, regardless of form-factor, may be the hot ticket.
Same here. I can now run a live instance of a SWAM string at 32 when it blew up at 128 on DP 10.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

My apologies if this bug has already been reported, but I'm pretty time-slammed while preparing for the 3200 mile drive east to see my ailing dad.

I get repeatable crashes when trying to print a specific MIDI part from the QuickScribe window. The circumstances are unique and rare (for me):

In this one song, I have a bass pedal with grace note, that repeats for more than 40 measures during a breakdown section and instrumental solos.

There's a new(?) feature in DP11 that not only consolidates rests, but also consolidates repeated patterns.

I have to turn off "Show Arranged Score" to stop the crash. Even unconsolidating rests wasn't enough; nor were the usual tricks to flush any caching.

Not sure if we can attach a MIDI file to a topic in this new forum engine? I could extract that one part to post here, if so.

midilance

Post by midilance »

All is well so far on OS 11.4.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey thanks for that report!

That is terrific news.

Can I ask if you did a whole clean install or just update, and what OSX are you using? Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.