DP 10.13 and Big Sur

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pbuchta1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 10.13 and Big Sur

Post by pbuchta1 »

Hmmm... Thinking about upgrading my iMac to a new iMac Pro. DP works pretty on my current early 2015 iMac with Catalina. I don't want to rock the boat until necessary.
Peter Buchta
pbuchta1@gmail.com
dpdan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dpdan »

I have had the M1 Mac Mini since January 18th of this year and it is so great except I am really ticked off that MOTU STILL does not have a compatible version for the M1 Macs. I have an acapella session with tons of takes and some songs are seven parts. The soundbites window is growing to be huge.... for the most part DP has been very acceptable considering it is not yet supported with the M1 Macs. A few hours ago DP was playing one of the comp tracks and it just stopped right in the middle of the track, and of course, the play button was still green.
"Digital Performer is not responding"
It is beyond me that they still don't have an M1 version... :deadhorse:
Last edited by dpdan on Thu May 27, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobK

Post by BobK »

dpdan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 pm
It is beyond me that they still don't have a M1 version...
I agree. Six months after the release of Big Sur is too long.

Since my previous post in this thread, I’ve encountered some quirks working in Big Sur. For example, when opening a project recorded at 96K, it showed 48K. When I tried to change it to 96K, nothing happened. I tried this several times, both in the control panel and in “Configure Hardware Driver,” and then gave up. When I open the project later, the problem was gone.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

I’m just sad, I will be elated when I see news somewhere that they have a new version for M1 Macs,,,
I would cheerfully pay for it as a paid update.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am
Which plug-in format has been most stable with Big Sur-- AU or VST?
Many of those testing find that many unsupported plug-ins work just fine in Logic over Big Sur and also Apple Silicon. Logic supports AU only. There’s more of an incentive for developers to concentrate on making AUs compatible because of Logic’s predominance in the marketplace.
Bitwig just announced M1 compatibility with their DAW, as well as the ability to run both native and x86 Rosetta plug ins in the same project. [Bitwig does extreme sandboxing of plug ins so they can run outside of the DAWs processes]
Bitwig is VST2 and 3 only so they're a good judge of whether or not VST is as stable as AU on M1 and Big Sur. I own both Logic and Bitwig so I'll be able to take a look at this in detail sometime after the 7th when Apple announces the 16" Macbook Pro and also rumored 14" Macbook Pro models with the next generation of Apple Silicon in them.

Still rooting for DP11 to be announced soon with native Apple Silicon support. :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

dpdan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:21 am I’m just sad, I will be elated when I see news somewhere that they have a new version for M1 Macs,,,
I would cheerfully pay for it as a paid update.
Six months ago talks with a beta tester revealed that they told him he didn't need to buy an M1 mac yet, hopefully that's changed since then.
I think we can expect DP and Cubase to take some time to get to Apple Silicon, it's just the nature of 30+ year old code bases.

I'm certain it will be a paid upgrade, there's a new version of DP being tested, that much they could let us know without breaking NDAs, and it makes total sense to do major changes in the upgrade, not a point update. I'm hoping an announcement sometime this Summer.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

thank you guys for all your great responses to my otherwise crabby and ungrateful sounding post...
I love DP!!!!!!!!!
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

I’m away from my computer. What was the last paid upgrade (10?) and how long ago was it?
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
Michael Canavan

primeevolutionary wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:02 pm I’m away from my computer. What was the last paid upgrade (10?) and how long ago was it?
February 2019. So we're over 2 years in. DP is long overdue for an update at the least, they can't keep Clips and looping in the shape it's in, it's just, not, good. :?

Plus personally 10.13 has been a crash fest, not bad enough to go back, but close. :smash:
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

Thank you, Michael!
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.5
DP11.31
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:13 pm Plus personally 10.13 has been a crash fest, not bad enough to go back, but close. :smash:
It's very stable on my Mini and MBP, as good or better than earlier versions. Clearly it isn't on other peoples' systems and that's a reason for concern. Use to be that if it worked on a Mac, it worked on a Mac. I doubt this is down to MOTU. The same thing appears with Logic and other apps.

But if the next DP update is a paid version focussing on M1 and BS, I'll be disappointed and probably won't bother. I'm looking for updates to clips already discussed in detail, and fixes for automation edits. The Mixer needs multiple instances and sizeable sections. The Sequence editor needs a solo button. Plugins user categories need to be made usable. Articulations are not important to me but for others, a significant omission.

Then there are things that are old and tired that need to be updated or dumped: I'd like a Drum editor that is post 1988, a Song editor with a a master tempo track, a Score editor that works with the other editors, a Waveform editor that works in the context of a sequence, completion of the Meter bridge with, at the very least, a track selector and some sort of integration with the mixer. These things feel like they're unfinished and forgotten.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:01 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:13 pm Plus personally 10.13 has been a crash fest, not bad enough to go back, but close. :smash:
It's very stable on my Mini and MBP, as good or better than earlier versions. Clearly it isn't on other peoples' systems and that's a reason for concern. Use to be that if it worked on a Mac, it worked on a Mac. I doubt this is down to MOTU. The same thing appears with Logic and other apps.

But if the next DP update is a paid version focussing on M1 and BS, I'll be disappointed and probably won't bother. I'm looking for updates to clips already discussed in detail, and fixes for automation edits. The Mixer needs multiple instances and sizeable sections. The Sequence editor needs a solo button. Plugins user categories need to be made usable. Articulations are not important to me but for others, a significant omission.

Then there are things that are old and tired that need to be updated or dumped: I'd like a Drum editor that is post 1988, a Song editor with a a master tempo track, a Score editor that works with the other editors, a Waveform editor that works in the context of a sequence, completion of the Meter bridge with, at the very least, a track selector and some sort of integration with the mixer. These things feel like they're unfinished and forgotten.
The fact that some have crashes and others do not make me think it's about plug ins on your system. That makes sense, I have a couple hundred. :oops:

I'm in agreement with your upgrade thoughts for sure. I mostly just want refinements. The biggest being Clips/looping integration. it's just plain awkward and half done the way it is now. The list of new things is short, MPE, articulation mapping, and modern control surface support. The GUI in general needs some love as well. Also, I really do think they should buckle and do what every other DAW does and have MIDI and Instruments on the same track. It's great separate when you use a lot of multi instruments, but it's just arrangement clutter when you use single MIDI track to a single instrument. (ducking the inevitable fallout to this)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ditto. Most crashy build for me ever. Save early and often.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance