UltraLite AVB resets to 100% volume (0dB)?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Rob Ainscough
Primary DAW OS: Windows

UltraLite AVB resets to 100% volume (0dB)?

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I've had an intermittent problem with my Motu UltraLite(s) AVB for a few years (since I purchased actually). About every other Month when I start my PC the volume will go to 0dB (Max) and blow out my speakers and ear drums. I've already trashed two expensive Genelec monitors because of this problem.

I have two UltraLite AVBs and both have the exact same problem. Driver updates over the years makes no difference ... they are both connected via NIC to my router/ISP. At first I thought perhaps this was some security flaw in the MOTU drivers/unit that was allowing hackers to reset the volume settings for my Main out, so I went a year without the NIC port connected and the problem still occurred.

I'm about to toss both my MOTU units in the Trash because I can't keep replacing monitors at this rate, costing me a fortune.

I did bring this problem up with MOTU official support a few years ago and they just kept suggesting it was a Windows OS problem ... which I know it's not because I have a couple of PreSonus audio interfaces on my other PCs and never had an issue.

I love the sound quality of MOTU, but this problem along with the 3 second wait to power down the unit has reached my point of tolerance.

Anyone else have this problem with the MOTU UltraLite AVB?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I posted my original thread in the wrong forum, sorry, this is the correct spot I think.
rwandering

Re: UltraLite AVB resets to 100% volume (0dB)?

Post by rwandering »

This happened to me once in the past. I don't recall if it was the Ultralight MK3 or the Ultralight AVB. I use the 838es now.

Regardless, when it happened I decided the risk was too great and purchased a monitor controller to place in between my interface and the monitors. I went with a Presonus Monitorstation 2, and leave the volume on the 828es mains at 0db. I

know people have opinions about the Presonus but it has worked great for me, and also allows me easily switch between monitoring while tracking and the mains.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Many thanks for the response.

I only have good opinions of PreSonus as I own some of their monitors and interfaces and remote control station. I guess the irony with the MOTU is that their delayed 3 second (pain in arse) shutdown hold and press button is supposed to help prevent power pops. Oddly the issue is ONLY with Main out ... I like the MOTU, no question they have great quality and low latency but they just have some odd quirks.

I like the idea of adding a monitor controller ... I can get a cheap ($130) PreSonus like the https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -bluetooth Micro Station BT 2.1.

Cheers, Rob.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

I too have good opinions of Presonus. I was vague there, my point being that some people swear by passive monitor control and this is not that.

I think your choice is a good one.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I'm dumping the MOTU. MOTU's support staff have been completely useless unfortunately. I've gone with a PreSonus Studio 26c.

Cheers, Rob.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Sorry to hear that. My experience with MOTU support has been quite good.
  • In one case they helped me diagnose and resolve an issue that turned out to be instability with my motherboard chipset.
  • Another time they replaced my 828es because it seemed to be getting too hot (cross shipped me one with no hassle).
Out of curiosity, what was your issue and their response?
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Several issues:

1. Took a long time to get a response going thru MOTU TechLink (Eamon Wick)
2. The diagnostics process was just a repeat of what I've already tried (re-install drivers, windows updates, check firmware, latest BIOS/chipset, etc.)
3. Ended with a suggestion I re-install Windows OS

I pointed out that their drivers consistently create OS Event Log entries on startup. I believe the root of the problem is MOTU_ZeroConf Service as I get these errors (from MOTU) every time I start my PC:

892: ERROR: read_msg errno 203 (The system could not find the environment option that was entered.)
ERROR: mDNSPlatformReadTCP - recv: 10053

Keep in mind both my MOTU AVBs have been used on several different computers over their life and have exhibited the same problem (both of them) across a variety of hardware they've been connected to but EVERY SINGLE connection base has generated the above two errors. The odds of this NOT being a MOTU driver problem are close to ZERO.

MOTU support just sorta faded away after I refused to re-install my OS from scratch (again).

Cheers, Rob.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Yeah . . . "reinstall OS" is a killer. I feel your pain . . . It was the case in the past that their drivers were not compatible with some Intel chipsets. This was due to an incompatibility introduced by Intel that, as I recall, would have required a major overhaul of MOTU drivers. I think it was the Z99. I moved off of that and have had no problems since. But one shouldn't have to select their computer (or motherboard) based on their interface.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I'm a software engineer by profession (34+ years) ... it's a MOTU driver problem not a chipset problem, nor an Intel problem.

You did hit the nail on the head, MOTU need to keep up with the times and update their drivers. Like I said, it's a USB device and I've plugged it into several different computers using a variety of CPUs/Chipsets and the problem persists (both OS errors and max volume problem).

It's a shame, MOTU hardware is good when it works correctly, the software/driver side is the problem. As a software engineer, I can assure you that when developing drivers/software for Windows OS (or any OS) those resources (the developer) will need to be retained to keep the drivers compliant and updated to ever changing hardware (needs to be factored into the product cost).

MOTU have updated their drivers over the years but they aren't addressing these problems. Since the MAX volume is a monitor killer, I need a solution which sadly will not be MOTU. Your original idea was good, but the more I thought about adding another device into the audio chain the less I liked it, would rather fix the problem at the core. It will also alleviate MOTUs 3 second button press and hold to power down annoyance ... from a pure electronics position this can be handled differently without excessive user interaction.

Cheers, Rob.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Also a software engineer -- mid-30 years depending on how you count it!

I actually do hold Intel accountable for breaking compatibility -- but MOTU should have tackled it anyway. When the OS breaks your software, you have to suck it up and fix it. That said, I have no idea what the actual underlying cause is for you today.

Anyway, I don't mean to make excuses for MOTU. Mileage does in fact vary.

I would be interested to hear your experiences and comparison on the feature set with your new device.

Cheers!
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

To be clear MOTU audio quality has never been a problem for me, low latency and great mic adjustability.

I actually changed my order and have a EVO 8 (USB C) that should arrive on Thursday ... these days the software side of an audio interface is often more important than the actual hardware since even low-end hardware has very good preAmps and good latency.

I'll see if anyone wants to buy my MOTU AVBs for cheap ... who knows, maybe they don't have this problem on a Mac/OSX. My PreSonus units work great in my other PCs so I'm interested to see how this EVO 8 stacks up.

Cheers, Rob.