Projects on the System drive? I'm confused

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Projects on the System drive? I'm confused

Post by Gravity Jim »

I read something on this forum somewhere to the effect that it's no longer wise or necessary to store projects on a separate drive, and that it actually runs better if the project is on the System drive. I just saw another post on the subject, indicating that a VocAlign project would run okay from the System drive, but would crash when on an external drive.

So, give me the skinny, please. Should I be running projects from the system drive? Would this clear up my mysterious and seemingly unfixable 'random crashing for no good reason' bug?

And if this is true, why do we no longer need a Projects drive?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Projects on the System drive? I'm confused

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gravity Jim wrote:I read something on this forum somewhere to the effect that it's no longer wise or necessary to store projects on a separate drive, and that it actually runs better if the project is on the System drive. I just saw another post on the subject, indicating that a VocAlign project would run okay from the System drive, but would crash when on an external drive.

So, give me the skinny, please. Should I be running projects from the system drive? Would this clear up my mysterious and seemingly unfixable 'random crashing for no good reason' bug?

And if this is true, why do we no longer need a Projects drive?
If you're running smallish projects I suppose that's ok. If you're playing with the big boys and your projects are counted in the hundreds of GB, it's just plain stupid to try and put them the system (AKA BOOT) drive. That's not my opinion. That's a fact. If someone wants to make a technical argument (and I'm sure someone will) that it's better to store projects on the system drive, go for it. But it is dumb from that basic standpoint. My system drive is 1TB and pretty full. I can put a 2TB drive in and add a few projects, but I could NOT put all my projects on my system drive. They simply will not fit.

That said, I have been running projects off external spinners for years without issue. I'm not going to get into the weeds and highly technical "this machine v. that machine, and this chip v. that chip." It's a waste of my time. It's a simple math problem. I also prefer that my system drive be immune to lots of changes and projects get changed a lot.

So you decide. You can follow the "theoretical" reasons postulated about where to put project files, or you can follow the logical aspect of that. Choose wisely.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I always have working projects on the internal SSD, but move them to an external when they're done, or won't be worked for a while, if only to save space. I think this has been a standard practice for quite a while.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

bayswater wrote:I always have working projects on the internal SSD, but move them to an external when they're done, or won't be worked for a while, if only to save space. I think this has been a standard practice for quite a while.
Standard for who? I had the Library of Congress send me a file a few months ago to score. 300GB. That is NOT going on my boot drive. lol

MOTU (according to reliable sources) has stated that ANY drive is fine as DP handles that sort of thing well. But heck, if it makes a user happy to use their boot drive, go for it. My current project drive consumes 2.7TB of data. My boot drive is 1TB. Do the math.

And while we're on the subject, I also recommend moving your iTunes and Photos library to external drives (spinners or SSD). When I'm doing video editing, I use a separate external with the DP projects on that individual drive.

As Apple and Atari used to state, think of your drives as filing cabinets.Right now I have about a dozen filing cabinets connected to my Mac. Never a problem accessing data because it's on an external. Frankly, I don't see a single reason to put projects on a boot drive. It makes absolutely no sense, regardless of the theories posited.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, I moved libraries off the internal drives too. Music, picture, movies, etc, but not because they shouldn't be on the internal drive, but because of space limitations.

For basic music projects in DP and Logic, barring space requirements, there is no need to have a dedicated project drive rather than using the system drive. The limitation you have for very large projects is a space limitation, not a technical limitation of internal drives. You could do it all on one huge system SSD drive if that wasn't financially impractical.

I think Mike H went through all of this a few weeks ago.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, there's also the "insurance" aspect. If my project drive goes out, all I have to do is restore that. But if my system drive goes south or the machine bites the dust, so does my project drive. I've had that happen. I have backup machines or I could go to another studio with the project drive and as long as my plugs match the destination drive, I'm good.

Here's the real deal for some of us. We simply cannot have a project get lost because the system went south. My clients are extremely demanding. Delays due to computer problems are simply not an option. If i was doing music for a social event or recording stuff that isn't mission critical, I wouldn't be so adamant about this. When I'm part of a project that is costing my client millions in distribution, advertising, announced broadcast dates, etc., I quite simply need to be able to deliver on time or start looking for a good freeway exit to hold up my sign. It comes down to professionalism for me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I think the recommendation to put projects on your internal boot drive, coming from a respected source, is largely aimed at folks with Mac with internal PCIe storage, which is considerably faster than external storage in most cases. It can save load and save time when you use your fastest drive.

As for me, I'm happily running projects from a SATA SSD internal, having experimented with running them from my PCIe boot SSD and noted nominal load/save time differences and no difference in audio performance. I might see a bigger difference if my VI data was on PCIe SSD, but there's just too much of that data to deal with for me at this point.

Mike H. may chime in with some additional detail, but that's my take on the matter.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

I wish I hd the ability to have internal drives on my trash can, but no, that ain't an option. Booooo!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks for the replies. MLC, I'm reading you to say that running large projects from a separate drive is A-OK? Still standard practice?

It makes sense to me, but I just wanted to make sure that the truth is wasn't counterintuitive....
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Gravity Jim wrote:Thanks for the replies. MLC, I'm reading you to say that running large projects from a separate drive is A-OK? Still standard practice?

It makes sense to me, but I just wanted to make sure that the truth is wasn't counterintuitive....
I'm told that is also what MOTU suggests. I've been doing it like that for decades w/o a single problem in that regard. Also, if you think about it, the VIs (for example) are always accessing data, so those on the system drive make sense. Not as much of a bottleneck. Project data, OTOH, gets loaded into DP so there's no liability in terms of an external HD slowing access. Again, project files change a lot. VIs don't. So Projects on the external. VIs on the internal (AKA - boot drive).

And for a bonus answer, if your machine has internal slots for HDs, the idea of HD access time is reduced. If you're running TB or USB3 then you also don't need to fret (unless you're a guitarist) over HD access time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I think like MLC suggests it's down to logic. I have my projects on an external SSD, sample libraries over a few SSDs internal and external. Reason is simple, backing up the system drive and the external project drive are what's important. Sample libraries are easily downloaded and reinstalled, your songs are not.

In terms of what is good for the recording and composing of the song itself, with SSDs we're past worrying about it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, like I say, I read something on this board recently that indicated the counterintuitive method was actually the cool guy setup.

Glad to know there's no real alarm.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

Gravity Jim wrote:Well, like I say, I read something on this board recently that indicated the counterintuitive method was actually the cool guy setup.

Define: cool guy. lol

Perhaps there are some highly technical situations where the contrary advice is perfectly valid. I don't pretend to know all, or even most, of the answers. I do pretend to be working every day in DP the way I described and it has yet to bite me in the end.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Well, like I say, I read something on this board recently that indicated the counterintuitive method was actually the cool guy setup.

Define: cool guy.
MLC. :D
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Since forever I followed the “established” approach of keeping a separate projects HD as an internal drive on my macpro 5,1. When I upgraded to a new iMac Pro, that was no longer possible. Based on some of the discussion and advice in other threads, I created a small volume on my internal drive for “active projects” only.

On the pro side, it’s nice to have TM backups of the active projects available. (I use time machine only on my internal. I use other backup methods for my remaining drives.)

On the con side, so far I haven’t noticed any big benefits in performance and I wonder if there is an uptick in file activity (lots of dialogue edits, cuts, and such) that is not good for my internal over the long run.

FWIW

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com