Super-expensive A/D converters - really worth it???

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
markwayne
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by markwayne »

Audio gear lust is often driven by marketing departments more than common sense. I've often had the experience of going to check out the latest, greatest gizmo only to spend a half-hour first patching it in and powering it up and reading the manual because no one had asked to hear it yet! People are walking in and buying this stuff without listening to it first. I'm amazed at how many people make thousand dollar purchasing decisions based on industry "buzz" without ever checking the product out for themselves. At the same time I've got a friend who produces some of the most immaculate mixes I've ever heard on Mackie-class equipment.

IMHO - I think a great first step would be to go here and order a couple of their CDs and see if you can hear the difference before you spend the money: http://www.3daudioinc.com/

In terms of studio upgrades, I would say that microphones and monitors are the safest bets, followed by instruments and mic pres. As for A/D convertors, it's going to depend on your monitoring chain and your ears as to how much of difference they will make.

For what it's worth, Apogee convertors always have a certain sound to my ear. It may be the built-in limiting, I don't know. They work very well for pop music. However, I would not classify them as audiophile quality.

just my thoughts,
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
ryst
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by ryst »

markwayne wrote:
For what it's worth, Apogee convertors always have a certain sound to my ear. It may be the built-in limiting, I don't know. They work very well for pop music. However, I would not classify them as audiophile quality.

just my thoughts,
Wayne
I would agree 100%. Apogee converters are not "top quality". They are definitely a step up from the consumer grade but are not as good as Prism, Mytek, Lavry and other more expensive converters.
Nathan-
Dual 2.5gig G5, 2.5gig ram, DP 4.6, Live 6, Battery, Kontakt, BFD, DFHS, EWQLSO Gold, Event ASP8's, Trigger Finger, M-Audio 1814, MOTU Fastlane USB, Ibanez MMM1, Schecter Stiletto Studio-5