MOTU 828 ES AVB streams

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
fraz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU 828 ES AVB streams

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I've got a question or two about the AVB streams on the various MOTU AVB interfaces which would probably affect maximum channel count within a system.

As I've not used the interfaces yet it's best to ask about some of the possibilities.

The 828 ES has 4 AVB streams - with 8 channels per stream = 32 channels

Does this mean the maximum supported channel # of connected AVB devices is 32 channels if I go with this interface?

Via the AB network connector an M64 could be added (MADI)_to connect another "syncronisable" interface for higher I/O channel count for example.

Would there be problems with this due to 828 ES only supporting 4 AVB stream?

A little clarification from the folks who know would be helpful - Thanks

EDIT__are the number of AVB streams "aggregated" together to form the total number
of AVB streams per AVB system? so for example

MOTU 828 ES 4 AVB streams +
MOTU M64 8 AVB streams = 12 AVB streams x 8 = 96 channels?

Is this how it works?

https://motu.com/avb/avb-faq#q21
fraz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU 828 ES AVB streams

Post by fraz »

Hi,

May I BUMP this post and re-phrase the question.

I've got an 828 ES on order with the AVB network switch for future expansion.

One area of confusion I have is with the number of AVB streams supported on the 828 ES unit.

Is there any technical reason preventing the addition of other AVB units such as M64 (MADI)_&_AI_24_?

As I've not used an AVB MOTU interface before some clarity from seasoned MOTU users would be helpful.

The reason for opting for AVB is the expand-ability via CAT5/CAT6 to add more I/O channels.

Will the 828 ES only supporting 4 AVB streams prevent future expansion? and ability to use all I/O - Thanks
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 828 ES AVB streams

Post by HCMarkus »

I love my 828es, but don't use AVB as I have enough inputs and outputs for my studio with the built-in analog plus an optical expander and SPDIF for my hardware reverb send/return. So I can't answer your question with certainty. That said, I think the stream limit only applies to simultaneous I/O to/from the 828es itself. I do not believe the streams are, as you put it, "aggregated," but cannot state that with certainty. :smash:

May I suggest a visit to this thread at Gearsluts?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... sions.html

or

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

And if you don't get love there, a call or tech link to MOTU directly should get you the info you seek.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31