DP 10.1 plugin location

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bongo_x
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 10.1 plugin location

Post by bongo_x »

Trying to figure out how to best deal with the new location for stock plugins.
I have lots of old projects in DP8 with 32 bit plugins, so I need these to be available sometimes.

I tried making aliases from the new location to the old but that didn't work.
I guess I'll just move them, but I'd feel better about it if I knew the reasoning behind the move in the first place.

Strangely there are still some of the stock plugins, or what appear to be, in my MAS folder, and they say they were just installed. Actually they're just shells with very little in the containers.
mikehalloran

Re: DP 10.1 plugin location

Post by mikehalloran »

Plugin locations on a Mac are unchanged.

DP 10 (and 9.5x) cannot access 32 bit only plugins. When you installed it, they became unavailable. The only way to access them is to reinstall DP 8 which cripples some functionality in 10.

You will need to get 32Lives which will let you use many 32bit AUs and VSTs ... Unless you are upgrading the OS to Catalina where 32 bit apps and plugins are not supported at all. 32Lives will no longer work. You can instead upgrade the plugins or find others if you still need to access those projects.

You cannot have full functionality in 8 and 10 without installing each on different boot partitions, volumes or drives depending on your OS.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

On my system the plugin locations changed in 10.1.
MAS folder with built in plugins is now inside the application bundle and plugins were deleted from the system MAS folder.

I never unistalled DP8 and was running 8 and 10.01 together no problem.

I tried moving the new plugs to the system MAS folder, but they didn't show up in 8, probably 64 bit only as I suspected. Checking a few plugs they have the same version number but a different build number, so I guess they just stripped them?

I moved all my previous plugs back to the system MAS folder from a backup and both 8 and 10 seem to be fine, with no duplicates of plugins. Was not expecting that.

I'll have to check it out more to be sure.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bongo_x wrote:I tried moving the new plugs to the system MAS folder, but they didn't show up in 8, probably 64 bit only as I suspected. Checking a few plugs they have the same version number but a different build number, so I guess they just stripped them?

I moved all my previous plugs back to the system MAS folder from a backup and both 8 and 10 seem to be fine, with no duplicates of plugins. Was not expecting that.
Interesting what you did there. I'd expect to see flying monkeys coming out of the computer if I did that.

But you wouldn't expect it to work would you? DP is the only host (AFAIK) for MAS plugins, if not the only developer, so MOTU would not have bothered to have DP 8 see 64 bit MAS plugins, and would have only done it now because OS X requires it.

Is there some reason you'd want to use the newer 64 bit versions of the MAS plugins with DP 8?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I just want to be able to open my old projects in DP 8 with 32 bit plugs.
If I'm using 64 bit plugs I'd rather be in DP 10.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:Interesting what you did there. I'd expect to see flying monkeys coming out of the computer if I did that.
Interesting what you did there, Stoivo. I'd expect to see ripples in the fabric of time if I were dumb-enough to get caught in a paradox loop. :banghead:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here