Tip: Overlay Guide for Time Ruler

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tip: Overlay Guide for Time Ruler

Post by Prime Mover »

I work long hours in the Sequence window clicking the playhead around to different times. One of the gripes I've mentioned is that the Time Ruler has an invisible divide between Selection and Playback Position functions. The cursor changes, but the region is small enough that I periodically miss and hit the selection region when I'm trying to reposition the playhead.

I finally broke down and downloaded a free Transparent Overlay app, and made myself a translucent guide that shows the "Playhead Position" region of the ruler. Of course, it doesn't match up with the Tracks Window, but for the work i do, I spend much more time in the Sequence editor and can easily hide the guide. It also lines up correctly with the MIDI Edit Window. Here's what it looks like:

I'm probably fairly unique in this being a major problem or decent solution, but if anyone else is interested, I can explain how to set this up.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stubbsonic

Re: Tip: Overlay Guide for Time Ruler

Post by stubbsonic »

Would you please describe what I'm looking at/for? It does seem useful, but how does it correspond to zooming, scrolling, etc?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Helen

Post by Helen »

I'm interested. I often have to click multiple times because of the unclear differentiation. This looks like it might be a nice solution. Thanks for letting us know!
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Would you please describe what I'm looking at/for? It does seem useful, but how does it correspond to zooming, scrolling, etc?
Looks to me like Eric has placed a translucent blue strip over the part of the time line that you click on to move the playback head. That could be useful, although I've take to moving the head with key commands to avoid having to deal with the tiny active area.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

bayswater wrote:Looks to me like Eric has placed a translucent blue strip over the part of the time line that you click on to move the playback head. That could be useful, although I've take to moving the head with key commands to avoid having to deal with the tiny active area.
Correct, however, AFAIK there are no key commands that move to a specific point, just linear forwards and back, which doesn't really cut it for what I'm doing. Now, if there was a key command to "move playhead to cursor", that would be AMAZING!!! Please tell me there is one and I just missed it?!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

For all that are interested. Search for a free mac app called "LayerX". It's not perfect and pretty limited, but it gets the job done. It's a little finicky because the guide is a full 1920x1080 graphic (with just enough shaved off the top for the menubar). The one weird thing you have to do is to first drag the "Place Image Here" window down towards the bottom of the screen before dragging in the guide PNG, as LayerX likes to place it a bit out of the screen bounds otherwise. After that, just drag the image down a ways, and then back up until it snaps to the top. No guarantees your monitor resolution or window setup is going to be the same as mine, you might need to mess with it a bit. However, the guide should sit like it does in the first graphic I posted.

Here's the guide File:
http://www.ericbarker.com/dropbox/DPTim ... e1080p.png
— Eric Barker
Eel House

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Thanks for that, Eric!

I use a tiny Windows app called "Peek Through" that renders a window semi-transparent (transparency can be adjusted) and allows clicks through the transparent layer to what is beneath it. (Though it says it works only up to Windows 7, it works fine on 8-10. The page simply hasn't been updated in a while.) You can set it to toggle on and off using a custom keyboard shortcut, or activate it via the tray icon.
http://www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/

I use it for other guides with IrfanView set to "Stay on Top" at the bottom of the IrfanView's Options menu with IrfanView in full-screen mode.

This problem has been mine as well for quite a while now - it is a relief to have this guide!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:
bayswater wrote:Looks to me like Eric has placed a translucent blue strip over the part of the time line that you click on to move the playback head. That could be useful, although I've take to moving the head with key commands to avoid having to deal with the tiny active area.
Correct, however, AFAIK there are no key commands that move to a specific point, just linear forwards and back, which doesn't really cut it for what I'm doing. Now, if there was a key command to "move playhead to cursor", that would be AMAZING!!! Please tell me there is one and I just missed it?!
There are commands along these lines but they are not that elegant. The dot on the number pad lets you type in a bar number. There are also key commands to play from memory start or selection start, and others that will move memory locations and selection points. In most cases you have to use two commands to get something useful, and I've put some of the pairs in adjacent keys, like F13/14. You could also use one those utilities that will issue a sequence of key commands. For me, its a trade off between the current capabilities of key commands and the ability to limit the use of the mouse.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8