DP 10 ??? Months In?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10 ??? Months In?

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:DP 10 and 10.01 are both virtually unusable on my rig. It freezes and crashes constantly. Still, after a long and personally involved consultation with a MOTU CSR.

And I couldn't effectively go back to DP 9 without spending way too much time trying to remove all the tendrils of DP 10.

So I'm working in Logic now. I'm hoping MOTU will fix whatever the problem is in 10.02.

As is always true, DON'T upgrade without a solid, bootable clone of your startup drive handy.
Jim... if that is the Logic application icon that you now sport as your avatar, kindly change it. This is MOTUnation after all. I know you're unhappy about the state of DP, but as site owner I feel that crosses a line here. We are a MOTU/DP specific site. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Mina

Post by Mina »

James Steele wrote:Jim... if that is the Logic application icon that you now sport as your avatar, kindly change it. This is MOTUnation after all. I know you're unhappy about the state of DP, but as site owner I feel that crosses a line here. We are a MOTU/DP specific site. Thanks.
I'm sorry, but isn't it a little petty? I hope this is not a common policy here. Yes, the site may be someone's own, but its content is a common work of many people. They should be more respected.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, this is a privately owned board. Free speech, as such, is at the pleasure of the owner. That’s why you never see religion, politics, or smut of any kind. One might consider the Logic logo as smut, but I digress.

The avatars used here are specific to this site. If someone dumps DP after years and changes their avatar to a competitor’s logo after having issues on his specific system, I’d also view that as a somewhat suspect act. It all has to be taken in context. I totally agree with James. If your focus has changed to lambasting DP in favor of another DAW and that’s all you’re here for, and you post images of that DAW (which is often seen as your raison d'être) then I see that as an act of defiance. Again, there’s nothing wrong in that in the free speech world. That is not the world here. All members, including the owner, complain about issues. That’s the main reason most come here: to sort those out. But if you’re here to tell people you’ve given upon DP (which the member has stated before) then using your new DAW’s logo to post is clearly meant to send a message. James got that message and politely requested it be changed.

Frankly, that is damn sporting of him and it’s that kind of moderation that has kept me on the site. I’ve also been warned about my posts (did I mention no politics, religion, or nudity? Lol).

If someone seriously disagrees with the way James runs the site they can have a full refund.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I demo'd DP10 and found the GUI sluggish compare to DP9, so for now I'm sticking with DP9. I don't use DP that often anyway. Not sure why its more sluggish other people have not agreed with me. I have HiDPI monitor, maybe that's why, but anyway it is more sluggish and was driving me nuts.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
MIDI Life Crisis

Can’t recall the thread (maybe this one...lol) but since changing my monitor to basic RGB my redraws are faster in all apps. This could well be the cause of the slow down people are seeing. My Cinema Display default was way too hi res and was causing all apps to bog down a bit.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I am not having that same problem with most of my apps at all. Maybe its because I have Metal card and running Mojave? And maybe DP is not fully metal/mojave? Just speculating.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I will also say, but sluggish, I mean click on something and wait a long time for a response.
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

dewdman42 wrote:I will also say, but sluggish, I mean click on something and wait a long time for a response.
You might want to try this if you haven't yet:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 16#p564558
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks, richhickey, that’s the post I was referring to.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I've never had redraw or GUI issues with 10, but I always use custom settings on my monitors.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

DP10.01 is very responsive here.
I did explore changing the monitor profile but can't say it made a difference, as there wasn't a sluggish performande issue to begin with.

There is one oddity that is present on both of my systems - the negative and positive exponential curve graphics are blank in the Conductor Track>Change Tempo... window.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

I quite enjoy the DP workflow, longtime user, but man does this application need a refactor.

Looks like MOTU is hiring software engineers...I'm tempted to apply, but prob couldn't handle Boston winters lol
why would i want to skin a cat?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

OldTimey wrote:I quite enjoy the DP workflow, longtime user, but man does this application need a refactor.
I fear this will not happen until Catalina shakes down.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
MIDI Life Crisis

Still at Sierra here and all is pretty damn well. It does feel like Apple is in a 'transitional' period right now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

The worst part about the after touch issue is it's inconsistency:

- It recognizes it while recording
- it DOESN'T recognize it while playing back
- but it DOES recognize it again when bouncing.

So you can accidentally have completed a track that sounds fine, only to find that the patch has some aftertouch features you didn't want after the bounce. This is really frustrating!

I would switch back to DP9 full-time, however DP9s Save/Open dialog windows get worse and worse on my machine to the point that they're practically unusable. I switch back to DP9 in bursts to do AT work, but use DP10 when I'm not using MIDI.... it's awful.

I check here daily for a 10.02 update.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy