DP10 Stretch function

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Jimi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP10 Stretch function

Post by Jimi »

Hi folks, looking for some advice with the new Stretch function.

Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly but I'm not getting the results I'm looking for.

Previously if I wanted to adjust the timing of a track, I'd simply cut it up into individual soundbites (sometimes as far as one soundbite per note), move those notes as I please, tidy up and crossfade the edges and Bob's your uncle - timing sorted. It was laborious and very time-intensive but it worked.

So I was really happy when I saw the new stretch function. In theory, the new stretch function should make light work of this operation by being able to move each note, snapping it into place on the grid, without all those cuts and crossfades. But I'm finding it anything but an easy experience. It's a bit like playing whack-a-mole.

In the enabled Stretch lane, I snap a note into place and continue my way down the track. But as I'm going through, my previous edits move. I can see when I'm moving a note that the notes before and after it are also moving, meaning that any edit I've made will have an impact on other notes around it.

Is this the way it is supposed to work or am I missing something?

Any help gratefully received,
Jim
buzzsmith

Re: DP10 Stretch function

Post by buzzsmith »

I’m not quite sure that I understand, but I’ll offer this...

Stretching is really for lengthening or shortening a sound bite. Not quantizing, which sounds like what you’re trying to do?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, you've got it – I'm trying to adjust timing, aka quantizing (Btw, I'm not using 'quantize beats within soundbites' as this doesn't seem to get all the notes and often introduces artefacts.).

I thought that the Stretch layer went beyond shortening/lengthening individual notes; that it was there also to adjust timing in a non-destructive way, like the MOTU demonstration at NAMM earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw_mMKATEUI

I guess my question is: Can I stretch the audio (meaning 'can I snap beat markers to the grid') without affecting audio at a different point in the track between other beat markers? Can my adjustment at a given beat marker be totally independent of any other beat marker?
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Jimi, I honestly have never tried this.

I’ll check out the video and I’m sure others will comment, as well.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

magicd

Post by magicd »

I just checked with a kick drum track.

Found the beats in the audio.

Made sure Stretch and Cache were enabled in the Tracks window.

Displayed Stretch mode in the Sequence Editor.

I can now grab individual beats and drag them left or right. The only audio affected when I do this is the audio immediately before and after the dragged beat (As I would expect).

Maybe make a quick screen cap video of what's happening and post it?

Dave
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

A ha... Turning on the 'Cache' option seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help.
hangyear
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hangyear »

I have turned on cache and stretch option in preference but still cannot find a way to use this stretch function with my DP 10.01. I only can see the vertical grey colored line which I cannot click or drag... What am I doing wrong?
Need your help guys!
magicd

Post by magicd »

hangyear wrote:I have turned on cache and stretch option in preference but still cannot find a way to use this stretch function with my DP 10.01. I only can see the vertical grey colored line which I cannot click or drag... What am I doing wrong?
Need your help guys!
You are working in the Sequence editor, yes? Do you have the Audio Edit Layer popup menu on the left set to Stretch?

Dave
hangyear

Post by hangyear »

Hi! Dave!
Yes! I am in sequence window and I chose Audio Edit Layer popup menu on the left set to Stretch!
I have turned on beat detection too but still can't see see any lines that I can drag or click...
Pitch is working fine though...
magicd

Post by magicd »

hangyear wrote:Hi! Dave!
Yes! I am in sequence window and I chose Audio Edit Layer popup menu on the left set to Stretch!
I have turned on beat detection too but still can't see see any lines that I can drag or click...
Pitch is working fine though...
You may not have any detected beats in the audio. Select the audio in the track, go to the Audio menu>Audio Beats>Find Beats.

Any luck?

Dave
hangyear

Post by hangyear »

Dave!!
Works perfectly!!
Thanks a lot Dave!!!!

So do I need to use 'find beat' every time when I use stretch function?
magicd

Post by magicd »

hangyear wrote:Dave!!
Works perfectly!!
Thanks a lot Dave!!!!

So do I need to use 'find beat' every time when I use stretch function?
Very good!

There has to be "found beats" in the audio in order to use the stretch function. There's a preference to automatically look for beats in new audio. Digital Performer menu>Preferences>General>Background Processing>Beat and Tempo Analysis.

I leave this off by default so DP is not constantly looking at my audio to find tempos. I do a lot of recording that is not to click and if I want to find tempo I do that manually with Adjust Beats. So I only scan for beats if I 'm going to do tempo or quantization work.

Dave
hangyear

Post by hangyear »

Dave! You rock!
Thanks for your great help!
Happy DPing!

Nick,