Anyone doing spatial audio (VR/360) w/DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone doing spatial audio (VR/360) w/DP?

Post by BKK-OZ »

I searched, but couldn’t find any references to anyone doing 360 audio - such as using the FB 360 plugin - with DP.

I’m getting back into DP and I’m a couple of versions away from being up to date, and before I invest in catching up I thought I would see if DP is working with any of the slew of new 360 plugins.

And...
before someone says that I can download the demo version and check for myself, yes, I’m aware that I can do that. I just thought I would appeal to the wisdom and experience of the hive mind first.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
HCMarkus

Re: Anyone doing spatial audio (VR/360) w/DP?

Post by HCMarkus »

Limited surround experience here... just a couple of short documentaries.

Did you see this? It may be of interest: https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/brian-sch ... xperiences
As I said, it’s the Wild West and we’re still figuring out what works and what is distracting. There is obviously a temptation to go whole hog with 3D music and VR, kind of like the emergence of Dolby Digital. But it’s so application-specific. If the music is truly non-diegetic, meaning it is just there to serve the emotion and there is no kind of relationship of the music to the world that it is in, then you can be fairly traditional. It’s there, stereo to the ears.

As soon as you start incorporating surround or 3D music, you are pulling the music from being non-diegetic to being more diegetic. It’s almost on a continuum now. The more you make the user aware that the mix is changing or the location of the instruments is changing, you’re changing the role of the music. We’re still figuring that out—what is awesomely cool, and what is distracting from the story. If the whole purpose to immerse yourself in the music, as far as lending emotional support, plain old stereo seems to work pretty well.

- Brian Scmidt from Mixonline
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks for the reference.
It was an interesting read.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
In my experience DP is still a little dubious when it comes to surround. It does not recognize some surround plugins as surround. Some surround file formats will import as quad file and will ignore sub/center channels. EQ will not allow independent adjustments to separate channels. Reverb will not allow independent adjustments to separate channels. So de-correlating the audio channels to mitigate summing phase issues is not possible.

SOoooooo, trying out your plugins of choice is the only way. AND, complicated bussing for reverb and EQ may be necessary.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Don T wrote:Hello,
In my experience DP is still a little dubious when it comes to surround. It does not recognize some surround plugins as surround. Some surround file formats will import as quad file and will ignore sub/center channels. EQ will not allow independent adjustments to separate channels. Reverb will not allow independent adjustments to separate channels. So de-correlating the audio channels to mitigate summing phase issues is not possible.

SOoooooo, trying out your plugins of choice is the only way. AND, complicated bussing for reverb and EQ may be necessary.
I tried to demo the Nugen surround plugin awhile ago, which everyone seems to love, with DP, and could not get it to show up in DP.

Nugen was unfortunately no help...I think people stop at ProTools and don't go further.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.