Mountain Lion and Bias Peak 7 still works

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mountain Lion and Bias Peak 7 still works

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Having waited for many months to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion and having finally crossgraded to DSP Quattro due to Bias Peak's demise, I decided to take the plunge. The upgrade to Mountain Lion seemed pretty smooth (and nothing like as big a change as that from Snow Leopard to Lion). And to my surprise, Bias Peak 7 still works in Mountain Lion - so anyone hanging on like I was, it does buy you a bit more time with Peak.

So far DP 8.01 seems to work fine with Mountain Lion - so probably worth taking the plunge now that Mountain Lion is already at 10.8.2
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Re: Mountain Lion and Bias Peak 7 still works

Post by mikehalloran »

So far DP 8.01 seems to work fine with Mountain Lion
Working great here.

I was a little apprehensive wondering if DP8 was going to push my 2 year old iMac to its limits. Actually, 8.01 is faster, easier on my CPU and uses RAM better than 7.24.

My Antares plugs don't work (I have JBridge but haven't tried them in it yet) and I'm still doing a few projects in 7.24 -- working with another studio that hasn't updated yet so I get to compare the back and forth.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Oooh, the Peak news is great news for me. THANKS!!! :D I may upgrade to ML before I go to DP8 (the video issues are unfortunately a big deal for me.)
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Peak is working fine here under 10.8.2
Mountain Lion is very stable.
I want a 2013 Mac Pro.
Hope they will make one.
All is well
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Peak Pro 6.2.0 works (worked) fine with ML. However, at some point, and I don't remember if it was during the 10.8.2 upgrade, or during the Waves 9.x upgrade, the GUIs for plugins have all defaulted to the standard Apple AU GUI.

Bummer.

I really wish I would have bought Peak 7 while I had the chance. I still use Peak even with this problem, although it's making it a bit more difficult.

Anyone know how I can get a legal copy of Peak 7? I've tried emailing Bias. No response of course.

I might go ahead and just start fresh with a different 64-bit 2 track editor. Still bummed about Bias. I loved Peak. Actually I hated it at first, after coming from Sound Designer II, but now I still hoping Bias comes back somehow.

Sad, isn't it? :cry:

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I was annoyed because I upgraded to Peak 7 over the phone to the UK distributors - of course they didn't say anything but must have known that Bias were to pull the plug. Then I held off going to Mountain Lion because I wanted to keep using Peak 7. I sidegraded to DSP Quattro which is fine I guess - haven't used it properly and it is different - so then made the jump to Mountain Lion. I guess I should not have been surprised that Peak still worked. But I guess it won't work for ever. You could try the sidegrade to Quattro - don't think you can get Peak 7 legally anywhere.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Thanks for the info guys. A long time user of Peak.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
richhenz

Post by richhenz »

I too have been using peak 7 for some time; but suddenly it won't let me record in mountain lion. It was working fine, then suddenly stopped. I think it may have started after my last update of Peak...

Help...
mikes425

Post by mikes425 »

I have been happy with DP and my MOTU interfaces have behaved well with Peak as my main editor. --That said, I revive this thread with regard to doing some machine changeovers and hoped someone could advise on a migration question as I'm a bit rusty on the process. Hope you can help folks.

I have a couple of macs on snow leopard with Peak 7 and 6 running fine on them. I'm going to replace these old Macs with a couple of 2012 Mac mini i7 units. So to be clear, I should be able to use Migration Assistant to transfer all contents over to the newer macs running Mtn Lion, and upon completion, can I expect Peak to run normally just as it did on the older Macs, just by using MA ...or could I encounter some issues ?? Just wondered if anyone's had experience doing this before... Have to be so careful to avoid having to hit up Soundness/Steve for new installs if at all possible and just prefer to keep these copies functional after a Migration.. Hope this makes sense and major thanks for any input....

Mike
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikes425 wrote:I have been happy with DP and my MOTU interfaces have behaved well with Peak as my main editor. --That said, I revive this thread with regard to doing some machine changeovers and hoped someone could advise on a migration question as I'm a bit rusty on the process. Hope you can help folks.

I have a couple of macs on snow leopard with Peak 7 and 6 running fine on them. I'm going to replace these old Macs with a couple of 2012 Mac mini i7 units. So to be clear, I should be able to use Migration Assistant to transfer all contents over to the newer macs running Mtn Lion, and upon completion, can I expect Peak to run normally just as it did on the older Macs, just by using MA ...or could I encounter some issues ?? Just wondered if anyone's had experience doing this before... Have to be so careful to avoid having to hit up Soundness/Steve for new installs if at all possible and just prefer to keep these copies functional after a Migration.. Hope this makes sense and major thanks for any input....

Mike
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... sh#p519328
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikes425

Post by mikes425 »

Hi Mike, sorry but if you replied I don't see any comments re the migration question... There's a link to another thread but that's abt a file 43 error question...

Thanx!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mikes425 wrote:I have been happy with DP and my MOTU interfaces have behaved well with Peak as my main editor. --That said, I revive this thread with regard to doing some machine changeovers and hoped someone could advise on a migration question as I'm a bit rusty on the process. Hope you can help folks.

Mike
Don't really know about Migration Assistant - but I do know (and have posted a new thread every time) that Peak 7 still works in OSX El Capitan (you may have seen my thread recently).
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ak#p518905
I seem to recall using Migration Assistant when I first bought my current iMac so presume it carried on working. Whether you need to reinstall Peak I don't know. You still can download from here
http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/updates/
so provided you have your code you could try re-installing.
Gary Shepherd
mikes425

Post by mikes425 »

Hi, thanks - yeah i have my serial # for original Peak 7 install disk...tho as far as a bunch of .dmg files from my time on the Beta Group for Peak 7, not so sure what would easily reinstall fresh... Steve's been decent about getting back in touch in any event so i guess shouldn't worry..gave me at least one more round of Authorizations awhile back - I'd just rather they just 'carry over' to the new machines than having to mess with authorizations and such - Guess i'll just try it using MA and see how it goes. Thanks again,

Mike