Misleading Demo - Symphonic Instrument

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
lex132
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by lex132 »

Where's the brass?
I noticed these examples have some nice strings , pianos , winds , and percussives but brass seems to be the weak point of all these "symphonic" modules. Especially higher , bright brass like trumpets. No one seems to be showing off how their module handles these.
Can anyone say how the brass are in the motu SI?

Thanks!

lex
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I've been looking for a decent orch library that intergrates well with DP. I have Garritan, but I'm not always happy with it or for the way the IA MIDI functionality works when it wants to and conks out at random.

There seem to be lots to recommend with MSI for what I hope seems to be quick and easy implementation. I have VSL for Logic, which was the ONLY reason why I bought Logic. (I much prefer DP!) It takes a lot of work, but the results are mind boggling, and *for my purposes* VSL is the very best orchestra library on the market. Again, the Kontakt compatibility came after I made the investment, and I'm still spooked by the IA MIDI thing anyway.

As for the arguments about MSI-only demos as opposed to combining libaries to make demos, there is validity with both. It's nice to be able to judge a sound library on its own merits before making the investment. It's also nice to hear how flexible and compatible the sounds are with other libraries. When it comes to acoustic instruments, there really should be enough believability that your favorite brass from one library can be used with your favorite winds from another and strings from another. Most importantly to me is the benefit of being able to stack sounds to fatten up, say, a string section or beef up an epic horn call..... and yes, there are dealers in my area that have these libraries installed on systems, and they let me sit for hours to dink around with them. I now know what I'll be doing next Saturday afternoon.

While the piano and strings, and some winds, sounded pleasantly natural, I hesitate to cheer about the timp-- sounded rubbery at times unless buried in the mix. As for the brass, the warmer instruments seem to be more successful as on "Dark Horse", which is probably the most convincing of all the demos. I wouldn't expect to get that John Williams cinematic brass section out of this particular library, but then I've not heard a demo that exploits this quality. I, too, await to hear from users who might speak better to this issue.

I will say that on my computer the demo quality sounded surprisingly good-- no clicks, full stereo presence. The piano on 'Chocolate Box' was the most pleasant surprise of all-- expressive, warm, few or no noticeable artifacts. (Nice composition, Guillaume!) I've grown quite fond of Synthology's Ivory, and have been able to tweak out some results that have fooled other pianists. But in a pinch, I may have to get MSI just for the apparent convenience and MOTU-native intergration.
stomach96405

Brilliant

Post by stomach96405 »

That is absolutly 1337 how did u do that?
largon203

Brass is not bad but not that great either

Post by largon203 »

lex132 wrote:Where's the brass?
I noticed these examples have some nice strings , pianos , winds , and percussives but brass seems to be the weak point of all these "symphonic" modules. Especially higher , bright brass like trumpets. No one seems to be showing off how their module handles these.

Thanks!

lex
I own MSI and must say I love it. No it's not perfect, No some of the samples are not as good as I had hoped. But for money I can't complain.
largon203

Post by largon203 »

lex132 wrote:Where's the brass?

Thanks!

lex
I own MSI and must say I love it. No it's not perfect, No some of the samples are not as good as I had hoped. But for money I can't complain.