DP9 now shipping.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 now shipping.

Post by kgdrum »

Shooshie wrote: AWRIGHT... You are sorely tempting me. I may just have to explain the WHOLE THING. (Better order a new keyboard first. This could be... hmmm... a medium length post for me.)

Nah. Better not. I'll wait until internet traffic drops and server loads are down.

Shoosh :lol:

Maybe you should have Tim edit it? :wink:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha!
mhschmieder wrote:No; PDF-only. My point was just that there might be ways to skinny-up the manual so they can supply a hardcopy version again.
Increase the page size, I say. Throw in some colour while you're at it, MOTU.

That way, the count would be manageable for the printer, the binding'd be less prone to wear and tear and the convenience / comfort of holding it in your hands whilst reading would improve no end. For one thing, I always found it hard to not lose my place (page) whilst perusing the brick...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote:Ha!
mhschmieder wrote:No; PDF-only. My point was just that there might be ways to skinny-up the manual so they can supply a hardcopy version again.
Increase the page size, I say. Throw in some colour while you're at it, MOTU.

That way, the count would be manageable for the printer, the binding'd be less prone to wear and tear and the convenience / comfort of holding it in your hands whilst reading would improve no end. For one thing, I always found it hard to not lose my place (page) whilst perusing the brick...
Make it a graphic novel!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah Mike!

... and colour graphics would be novel.

Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Splinter »

Hey guys. I just upgraded to DP8 the first week of April. Does anyone know if I'm eligible for a free upgrade?

Also, I've emailed customer support, but I can't register my version of DP8 on the MOTU website since I purchased it from a third party. Any suggestions?
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Splinter wrote:Hey guys. I just upgraded to DP8 the first week of April. Does anyone know if I'm eligible for a free upgrade?

Also, I've emailed customer support, but I can't register my version of DP8 on the MOTU website since I purchased it from a third party. Any suggestions?
Yes you are eligible for the free DP9 upgrade.

I don't see why you can't register your DP8 just because you purchased it from a third party. I got mine from Sweetwater and was able to register it no problem. Mine was actually a crossgrade from Sony Soundforge 8.
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

Cheers, Musicman!

Well, my DP8 didn't have a registration card with it. So there's no way to register it. If there's something I'm missing, I'm happy to know about it ;-)

Thanks again! Once I get DP8 sorted, I'll get my free DP9. Ooh. Happy days!
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
Splinter

Post by Splinter »

Brilliant! I just received an email from Magic Dave who is sorting out my DP8 registration and my free upgrade to DP9. Sorted in less than an hour. Yay! So pleased! Thanks, MOTU.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's the MOTU I know and love.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:Aha, so we have an answer! Good to know.

I suppose they could target a few other categories to not be covered by the hard copy manual, such as when they split off the plug-ins in DP7.

It might be hard to determine which features are the least likely to need consultation away from a computer (or backlit) screen and/or while using up the entire screen with DP (I can't stand the mistakes that I make with mouse focus and accidental mixer window edits, when toggling window focus to a PDF user manual).
One reason I always like the old style loose-lead binder manuals. Vision used to have one of these. If things are updated, you just replace or add some pages here and there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

for me, the ultimate "manual" story was Finale, circa 1998.

I think, prior to then, they had not offered a printed manual at all - just a "pdf"-type one. Then, when I bought Finale/Mac in '98, they said that I could purchase a printed one from them, for something like $50. Being a huge fan of printed manuals, I jumped at it.

But when it arrived, it looked like something that someone had photocopied off of originals, and down-scaled it to about a 4 point font size! I mean - really! It was impossible to read without a magnifying glass! I got really angry and phoned them back and they agreed to accept return of it and acknowledged that it was a less than sterling idea!

So, I wound up printing out all of the pdf-type files on to recycled paper - - it was well over 1,000 page and it took 24 x 1" loose-leaf binders to house!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote:
One reason I always like the old style loose-lead binder manuals. Vision used to have one of these. If things are updated, you just replace or add some pages here and there.
Couple of things I love about loose leaf manuals - you can add your own pages of helpful stuff AND if an answer is spread amongst several pages you can have them all spread out right in front of you rather than flip back and forth and lose your original place. Plus there's usually more space to make your own notations (that makes it three things I like - cue Monty Python :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

williemyers wrote:for me, the ultimate "manual" story was Finale, circa 1998.

I think, prior to then, they had not offered a printed manual at all - just a "pdf"-type one. Then, when I bought Finale/Mac in '98, they said that I could purchase a printed one from them, for something like $50. Being a huge fan of printed manuals, I jumped at it.

But when it arrived, it looked like something that someone had photocopied off of originals, and down-scaled it to about a 4 point font size! I mean - really! It was impossible to read without a magnifying glass!!
You forgot to mention the best part: The reason it was so small was that it was four pages to a side (8 to a sheet) of paper.
I got really angry and phoned them back and they agreed to accept return of it and acknowledged that it was a less than sterling idea!
I should have done the same thing but I stashed mine away and never looked at it.

I'm not recognizing my copy in my bookcase. I assume that I sent it to recycling years ago. I'm not recalling that it was $50 ($20 + shipping, perhaps?) but I agree that every cent was wasted.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

thracks wrote: I can't offer any reason for your problem but I can say I was able to launch DP7 on my old G5, load MX4 and export all my patches. I was then able to import into MX4 in DP9 without any issues. All my old projects containing MX4 loaded just fine.
After changing of Mac OS X system (LION to Yosemite), it works fine and I again access to these old MX4 patches . :D
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

How is the 1176 emulation plug-in?

If it's competitive with other emulations, that and MX4 may tempt me.

I don't have time right now to download the demo and see for myself. Just wondering what others think of it.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos