Strange MIDI recording problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rufus Loacker
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Strange MIDI recording problem

Post by Rufus Loacker »

Hello,

I was building my orchestral template when I realized I couldn't record any MIDI input. The strange thing is that I can still play the instruments (MIDI tracks via kontakt) on my M-Audio Oxygen, but when I record, everything is completely messed up: MIDI data shows up far away in the timeline, like 500+ bar beyond the scrolling wiper, and it's totally random.

The Oxygen is ok, beacuse I tested it on other softwares and computers, and I don't really know what to look for on the manual.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I put this in the wrong forum, can someone please move it?
Win7 64bit | i7@3.60 GHz | RAM 32GB | OS and samples on different SSDs, HDD 7200rpm for projects

Sorry for my English, I'm Italian :)
Rufus Loacker

Re: Strange MIDI recording problem

Post by Rufus Loacker »

Anyone? I reinstalled DP, but it didn't work. I can provide a video, if that helps.
Win7 64bit | i7@3.60 GHz | RAM 32GB | OS and samples on different SSDs, HDD 7200rpm for projects

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It sounds like a time stamp kind of thing but what you're describing makes no logical sense. You're best bet is contacting MOTU. A video might help see what's wrong.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that sounds like a pretty tricky issue.

Might require you to test your hardware in other MIDI software, and try to narrow down the problem.

E.g., you could try recording MIDI into something simple like Aria Maestosa, to see if you get normal results there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm guessing it's a DP thing but there's no logical reason why MIDI recorded at a specific time would "relocate" itself. Frankly, in a situation like this it's almost always operator error of some kind. Otherwise some kind of "time offset while recording" is required, and I'm not aware of any such feature in DP.

Placing time stamped audio or MIDI can certainly result in the data being placed in an "unexpected" place, but not for newly recorded MIDI. or audio, AFAIK.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rufus Loacker

Post by Rufus Loacker »

stubbsonic wrote: Might require you to test your hardware in other MIDI software, and try to narrow down the problem.
I tried my MIDI keyboard in Sibelius, on the same computer, and it works normally. I tried it on another copy of DP on a friend's computer, and it was ok even there, so I'm sure it's not hardware fault.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'm guessing it's a DP thing but there's no logical reason why MIDI recorded at a specific time would "relocate" itself. Frankly, in a situation like this it's almost always operator error of some kind. Otherwise some kind of "time offset while recording" is required, and I'm not aware of any such feature in DP.
Yeah, I thought of a "time offset" thing too, but the fact that the MIDI data is totally scrambled makes no sense, to me.

I'll try to upload a video in the next days, thanks for the answers!

MIDI Life Crisis

Reinstall DP.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rufus Loacker

Post by Rufus Loacker »

I already did. Uninstalled it, cleaned the registry and rebooted the pc before reinstalling. Same results.

MIDI Life Crisis

What is sending your master clock? Any way to check its accuracy?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I had something similar happen several months ago and called Tech Support- they said to go to Preferences/Play & Record and either check or un-check (depending on whether it's checked or not) the "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" button - this fixed it for me. I hope it works for you!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
Rufus Loacker

Post by Rufus Loacker »

Sorry for the lack of response, I've been totally busy...
frankymax wrote:I had something similar happen several months ago and called Tech Support- they said to go to Preferences/Play & Record and either check or un-check (depending on whether it's checked or not) the "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" button - this fixed it for me. I hope it works for you!
That totally fixed it! Thank you really much!

frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Glad I could help! Yeah, it really threw me when I had that behavior. It never happened for me on Mac just PC. It may come back again, as mine did, and if it does, just go back and click or un-click again in that area and it should fix it.
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/