OK What the heck is going on with MOTU drivers?!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
grooveq
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

OK What the heck is going on with MOTU drivers?!!

Post by grooveq »

Trying to help my partner, Mac OSX 10.6.8, with a 828mk3 (latest MOTU Audio 1.6.59644 drivers)

1. The System Preferences / Sound / Output & Sound Effects -> 828mk3 is NEVER, i mean never recalled.

..deleting plists makes no difference whatsoever...This use to work flawlessly, it's extremely annoying now..

2. Few of the actual physical names match the ASIO/Core Audio names..

Here's what happens...

Core Audio Name > Actual Physical output signal appears at

Analog 1+2 > Main Out

Analog 3+4 > Analog 1+2

Analog 5+6 > Analog 3+4

Analog 7+8 > Analog 5+6

Main Out > Analog 7+8

Here's the rest of the setup...
to make it crystal clear something is definitely wrong in the drivers...

Hardware - Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8GB Ram)
UA Apollo Quad • MOTU 828mk2 • TC Powercore Compact & Express
Software
- OSX 10.6.8 / 10.8.4 • Cubase 6+7 • Protools 10.3
Agent of Random
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OK What the heck is going on with MOTU drivers?!!

Post by Agent of Random »

For some reason they made the Main out 1-2 appear after the Analog outs for the 828mk3, so most software will default to analog 1-2. Annoying, but it is still clearly labled as main out 1-2 and NOT analog 7-8 like you say in all of my software, though. What DAW are you using?

You might also want to ask them about this directly...
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OK What the heck is going on with MOTU drivers?!!

Post by bayswater »

Agent of Random wrote:For some reason they made the Main out 1-2 appear after the Analog outs for the 828mk3, so most software will default to analog 1-2. Annoying, but it is still clearly labled as main out 1-2 and NOT analog 7-8 like you say in all of my software, though. What DAW are you using?

You might also want to ask them about this directly...
IIRC you have to tell some audio apps to use the names provided by the 828, or set preferences or edit the name labels within the DAW. Otherwise the Main Out 1-2 label might not appear.

In any case, the Main 1-2 pair will not appear as Analog 7-8, because these channels are the 9th and 10th. By default, Logic will show them as 9-10. DSP-Q sometimes shows them as group 3 (after Mics and Analog), and so on.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8