DP 8.06 Is Available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8.06 Is Available

Post by Radiogal »

DP 8.06 is running great. Did an intense and CPU heavy 8 hour editing session today, with loads to process. DP 8.06 feels "snappier", as we use to say here on the Motunation. High Five for MOTU!! :D
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
midiw

Post by midiw »

Glad that MOTU has provided a "DP Demo Project" file including the "DP guided lesson" in their updated Feb 20, 2014 Tutorial and demo files available at http://www.motu.com/download .

Wish MOTU could provide a few more demo project files because these types of project files help me see/understand how to work with Digital Performer 8 ( 8.06 ).
Mac OS: Mojave
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Radiogal wrote:DP 8.06 is running great. Did an intense and CPU heavy 8 hour editing session today, with loads to process. DP 8.06 feels "snappier", as we use to say here on the Motunation. High Five for MOTU!! :D
Roger that. So far, runs like a champ. And yes, it does seem "snappier:" much faster to load projects, much more responsive to commands.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 8.06 feels "snappier", as we use to say here on the Motunation. High Five for MOTU!!
Definitely. I opened an older, pretty large file and noticed the same thing. It opened noticeably faster - and I had no complaints in that regard before. Only then did I go to this thread so see if it behaved the same for anyone else. :woohoo:

If I run out of things to do this weekend, I may try opening that same file on my wife's iMac i5 to see if it perks up there, also. The only reason I keep DP on her machine is to compare i7 vs i5 performance on otherwise similar iMacs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Lol... Yep DP has Always been fast opening Projects.
So now you try opening a Project in Logic... "Time for a coffee!!!!!"
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I saved 8.05 by renaming, just in case. Then buoyed by the fact that it works well in Sweden and Canada, I installed 8.06.

It's been working like a top all afternoon, forgot I installed it until I checked the board out of habit.

And by jove if it doesn't feel snappier.....
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It works okay - wouldn't know about "snappier" - had a few crashes whereas 8.05 didn't really crash at all.

But "snappier" seems imagined - I loaded the same large file in DP 8.05 and then 8.06 and did this several times while timing with a stopwatch - by the time the file is loaded and you get that spinning ball before the transport controls start working (lets call that fully loaded) was exactly 20 seconds for both 8.06 and 8.05 - the same time every time I tried. So if that is a definition of snappy, then I think it is imagined. Sorry.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

And 8.01 - still 20 seconds to fully load.

8.01 has something going for it that the other versions don't have - MOTU somehow made a version that does full screen mode but which can be stretched across both monitors (rather than the grey screen of death on the 2nd monitor). This then got broken on 8.02 and when I complained to MOTU techs they didn't really understand and said they couldn't reproduce it. But it still works on 8.01 - sadly this was a crashy version of the program so not really good to use long term.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
profdraper

Post by profdraper »

yep, much improved with movies and mavericks.
stainless

Post by stainless »

Everything working well here,

only issue I've run across - Stillwell Rocket I opened a session which had this on one of the tracks and DP crashed, the error message indicating that if it occurred again I should remove Rocket from Components

It was working with 8.05

I tried opening another session which doesn't have it and it crashed with the "..encountered an unexpected error..."

so...I removed Rocket and Rocket AU from the component folder and placed elsewhere on the HD.

Session which had it on it originally opened fine, but I got the window telling me it couldn't find it, cleared it and functioned fine

I looked at the file information on the Rocket component and it defaults to Open with Protools... and DP is grayed out

so thinking that might be the issue I tried putting the RocketAU.component back in the folder but DP doesn't even 'see" it

I still have a bridged version which seems to function (except it doesn't show any of my presets) :(
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

stainless wrote:...only issue I've run across - Stillwell Rocket I opened a session which had this on one of the tracks and DP crashed, the error message indicating that if it occurred again I should remove Rocket from Components
It was working with 8.05...
Where/how did you get a 64bit version of the Rocket? I have been waiting ages for the Rocket to be updated...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stainless

DP 8.06 Is Available

Post by stainless »

Where/how did you get a 64bit version of the Rocket? I have been waiting ages for the Rocket to be updated...

it's an "evaluation copy" ... downloaded it from their site a while back. Sorry I didn't think to let anyone know....

I've contacted Stillwell Audio about it
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Do you mean the beta VST3 they released a long time ago?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stainless

Post by stainless »

not sure... I just downloaded from their website
wheever

Post by wheever »

Got 8.06 running yesterday, updting from 8.01 (I had had terrible crashing problems with 8.05 and had to go back to 8.01.) So far 8.06 been pretty flawless, and seems to use less CPU on a project I've been working on that was using pretty much every once of hoursepower my MacPro had.

So, so far so good! :headbang:
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!