DP8.04 isn´t creating new Soundbites from cuts anymore.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8.04 isn´t creating new Soundbites from cuts anymore.

Post by Radiogal »

Updated to OSX 0.8.5 from OSX 10.6.8 Did all the repair permissions etc stuff.

I don´t know if it´s something with the OSX upgrade or not.
What happens when I cut or process audio files, DP isn´t creating new Sounbites in the AUDIO Folder anymore.
In the Soundbite Window however, they are shown as vox5.2 but when I reveal them in Finder they Always point at the original file. like "Vox" in this case.

I found out as I can not process (like Quantize audio) more than once on the same root audio file. Even if I cut it and it gets it´s unique soundbite name and number, the result is that the first processed files get messed up.
After processing the second time, red question marked audio files will show in Soundbite Window.

The waveforms are all crazy and nothing plays and shows right anymore of this soundbite.

It seems like DP is referring to the same file all the time and reprocesses. The files are not numbered in DPs Audio folder in Finder.
Only original files are revealed from the soundbite window and no new ones are created in. (Option + R)

I have checked most preferences and they look fine to me.

Any ideas?
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Dan Worley

Re: DP8.04 isn´t creating new Soundbites from cuts anymore.

Post by Dan Worley »

Make sure Edge Edit Copy is turned on in the SE mini menu.
DP10.13
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Dan Worley wrote:Make sure Edge Edit Copy is turned on in the SE mini menu.
Yes I tried that one already. No difference.
I believe I need to reinstall DP. I´ll try that first thing tomorrow and get back with the results.
Until then maybe more ideas might be coming through.
Thanks.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

RG, don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'd stay away away from 10.8.5 if at all possible:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=55758
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

cbergm7210 wrote:RG, don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'd stay away away from 10.8.5 if at all possible:

Thanks for the info.
I bought Mountain Lion very recently and it was version 10.8.5 that I got and installed. I upgraded to 10.8.511 that came today.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Radiogal wrote: What happens when I cut or process audio files, DP isn´t creating new Sounbites in the AUDIO Folder anymore.
In the Soundbite Window however, they are shown as vox5.2 but when I reveal them in Finder they Always point at the original file. like "Vox" in this case.
DP has never placed "soundbites" in the Audio Files folder. Soundbites are region pointers within a sound file. When you cut audio on the timeline in DP, you are creating additional pointers within the sound file. You are not creating additional sound files.

In the Soundbites window, you see the region pointers described as soundbites. You could have 100 soundbites that all belong to the same sound file.

Soundbites can be exported to create new audio files. You can drag soundbites from the Soundbites window to the desktop or you can use the Export command from the Soundbites window mini menu.

Radiogal wrote: I found out as I can not process (like Quantize audio) more than once on the same root audio file. Even if I cut it and it gets it´s unique soundbite name and number, the result is that the first processed files get messed up.
After processing the second time, red question marked audio files will show in Soundbite Window.
Quantizing or time stretching a soundbite causes DP to create a new sound file. This is a "constructive edit". If you time stretch a soundbite, the original audio file is left untouched on the hard drive. The original soundbite is no longer in the DP track, but is still listed in the Soundbites window. The newly created audio is placed n the Audio Files folder and the new soundbite shows up in the track and Soundbites window.

The red question mark means that DP can no longer find the sound file that contains the soundbite. That suggests that at some point the original sound file is being deleted from the hard drive, or has been moved from it's original location.

Radiogal wrote: The waveforms are all crazy and nothing plays and shows right anymore of this soundbite.

It seems like DP is referring to the same file all the time and reprocesses.
When doing time stretching or quantizing, DP always looks for the original audio file as the source. This way you can do multiple stretches of a piece of audio and not lose fidelity over generations of processing.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on in your system, but it sounds like DP is somehow losing track of the source audio files. Have you moved files around or deleted anything from the hard drive?

Dave
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Thanks Magic Dave!

I trashed the PLIST and reinstalled DP over the old one (8.04 without uninstalling as there is no easy way to uninstall DP from the CD).

Thing is I´m still having problems with the quantize, and DP crashes from time to time in this process. (Even with disabled plug-ins).
Case:
When I cut a soundbite: "VOX" I get new soundbites: VOX.1 and VOX.2
When I quantize VOX.1 everything gets quantized and is fine.
But when I decide to quantize VOX.2 then I´m get problems with strange over writings and waveforms shifting from the quantized VOX.2 to VOX.1 and everything gets messed up.
So now what I do as a work around is to quantize the whole file and cut it and comp with these parts.
But it locks me as I might wanna quantize some bits with different values.

I haven´t used the quantize that much earlier but this project I´m working on needs lots of it..

How do I do a clean uninstall of DP8. Can´t find this option on the CD install disc..

Where is the PREF file? Can´t find it..(long time ago)

Gosh. Dislike running into problems that stops the workflow.
I´m happy otherwise. :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cbergm7210 wrote:RG, don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'd stay away away from 10.8.5 if at all possible:

Yes, you do keep saying that. Most of us are having no problems with OS 10.8.5 and DP.

The 10.8.5 bugs affected some low level PCIe and USB routines on some Mac Pros. Are you storing sound bites on an external drive?

Those who had USB problems with OS 10.8.4 update (and there were many) found that unplugging all USB devices and running the combo updater fixed the problem. If there's any possibility that this issue is affecting you, I'd make the same recommendation - unplug all USB devices and run the supplemental updater again. Probably unnecessary and has nothing to do with your issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

mikehalloran wrote:

Yes, you do keep saying that. Most of us are having no problems with OS 10.8.5 and DP.

The 10.8.5 bugs affected some low level PCIe and USB routines on some Mac Pros. Are you storing sound bites on an external drive?

Those who had USB problems with OS 10.8.4 update (and there were many) found that unplugging all USB devices and running the combo updater fixed the problem. If there's any possibility that this issue is affecting you, I'd make the same recommendation - unplug all USB devices and run the supplemental updater again. Probably unnecessary and has nothing to do with your issue.
I have a fast 10.000 RPM internal Western digital Velociraptor audio disc, hardly half full. Only for audio and DP projects.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Radiogal wrote:Thanks Magic Dave!

I trashed the PLIST and reinstalled DP over the old one (8.04 without uninstalling as there is no easy way to uninstall DP from the CD).
I don't see any reason to re-install DP, trash preferences, or blame the OS. Just to be sure your drives are in good shape, it wouldn't hurt to run Disk Utility or similar to check directory health, etc.

Radiogal wrote: Thing is I´m still having problems with the quantize, and DP crashes from time to time in this process. (Even with disabled plug-ins).
Case:
But when I decide to quantize VOX.2 then I´m get problems with strange over writings and waveforms shifting from the quantized VOX.2 to VOX.1 and everything gets messed up.
Before you quantize VOX.2, select the soundbite and choose Merge Soundbites from the Audio menu. This will create a new soundfile that is independent from the original VOX soundfile. Now if you quantize the newly merged soundbite, it will have zero interaction with the original file. Does that work?

Dave
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

magicd wrote:
Radiogal wrote:Thanks Magic Dave!

I don't see any reason to re-install DP, trash preferences, or blame the OS. Just to be sure your drives are in good shape, it wouldn't hurt to run Disk Utility or similar to check directory health, etc.

Radiogal wrote: Thing is I´m still having problems with the quantize, and DP crashes from time to time in this process. (Even with disabled plug-ins).
Case:
Before you quantize VOX.2, select the soundbite and choose Merge Soundbites from the Audio menu. This will create a new soundfile that is independent from the original VOX soundfile. Now if you quantize the newly merged soundbite, it will have zero interaction with the original file. Does that work?

Dave
Thanks Dave.
Yes, the audio disc is fine and healthy. I checked that already. I even tested this on a copy of the Project. Same results.
(Internal WD velociraptor 10.000 RPM disc, hardly half full.)

Yes, the merge trick works. I tried that during the day and it made me able to contunue working on the project. So there is a workaround.
Still I wonder: Am I the only one having this issue and should it be like this?

DP did send a crash report when DP crashed during this process today, so it should be somewhere at Motu headquarters special agents secret service. ;).

Thanks again for support! :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP crashes have been very few since 8.x - perhaps 4 total. Except once, it was a conflict between old, unrelated items and the OS - it's that DP would take the hit as it was running at the time. Examining the crash report revealed the culprit and, once removed life went on. I've poste these conflicts in the past. Thank you, AppleCare!

The one exception is a known conflict between the Apple firmware in my video card and MOTU Audio Setup. MOTU support found that one. I knew about the Apple firmware bug and the workaround is easy - close MOTU Audio Setup when you are done with it. Some Mac Pros have this card, also. I already knew about the bug from MicroMat (TechTool Pro) and once I knew to close Audio Setup, I had no more problems. If you have any of these video cards, you are affected:

ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5670
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5750M
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5770
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5870
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6490M
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6630M
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6750M
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6770M
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Besides TechTool Pro and MOTU Audio Setup, I have no idea what else conflicts with these cards. TTP turns off certain features so as not to crash when these cards are detected.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

How does this video card/MOTU Audio Setup incompatibility manifest itself? I have the 5770 but haven't noticed anything unusual.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Kubi wrote:How does this video card/MOTU Audio Setup incompatibility manifest itself? I have the 5770 but haven't noticed anything unusual.
Dito here: ATI Radion HD 5770
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Kubi wrote:How does this video card/MOTU Audio Setup incompatibility manifest itself? I have the 5770 but haven't noticed anything unusual.
Leave it on long enough, it can cause DP to crash or even a system wide crash if you have one of those cards. When you are done with Audio Setup, close it and there is no problem.

I learned of the firmware bug from Tech Tool so when MOTU tech told me this was the culprit, I wasn't surprised - well that Audio Setup had a conflict with it, yes but not that the bug existed.

I just went in and checked my Tech Note. I posted it 11/2012 so it's been nearly a year and I've experienced no further problems by just turning Audio Setup off when I'm done.

I asked MicroMat if the firmware bug in those cards was ever resolved by Apple. No and it looks like OS 10.9 won't have a fix either. Too bad as it is keeping me from using any version of TechTool Pro higher than 6.0.5 - oh well... Apparently nothing else I have installed has a conflict.