Hybrid ultralite headphones question

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
k_trout
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Hybrid ultralite headphones question

Post by k_trout »

Hey hows it going?

im looking to buy new headphones to use with my hybrid
been thinking about a 62ohm pair

will the hybrid run these ok?
im currently using a 32ohm pair

thanks
torrentg

Re: Hybrid ultralite headphones question

Post by torrentg »

You'd probably want the least amount of resistance because the MOTU doesn't drive the phones THAT hard. I have a pair of AKG K701 studio reference open headphones and while acceptable, I really need and do use an external amp with a very decent headphone circuit so it can get loud enough for me. Then again, I DO like it loud.

Probably best to stick with lower ohms unless somebody has something of more substance to say? Anyone?
k_trout

Post by k_trout »

hey thanks for the reply

lol it was the akg 701s i was going to buy
not 100% though
so thanks again for your help
k_trout

Post by k_trout »

i ended up getting the 702s
and have to say wow - the headphone out on the hybrid is excellent,
volume levels are great and thats with 70s recordings
so impressed with this motu hardware#

usually takes a virgin to entice a unicorn and bring it to ones lap but all it took was 400 quid lol
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

As far as I can tell, K701 and K702 are precisely the same (spec-wise), besides K702 having a detachable cable and the other not. I like the black theme of the K702 though, too.

Wait a little bit until you break in the headphones. It takes a little time to get them to sound even sweeter. Really good though, right? I think so. :)

What I really like also is that you can wear them for a very long time and it doesn't start to become annoying like others can.

Glad the level is suitable for you.
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

I mostly use a 70 Ohms pair of famously easy to drive Senn. HD25 1 2s with my Ultralite.

I bought them before I heard about the so called !:8 rule for matching headphone socket output impedance to headphone input impedance. If I've understood this correctly and if the figure quoted by MOTU for the Ultralite (30 Ohms) is correct the pairing should not match well at all. A ratio of 1:2 instead of 1:8. In theory a 250 Ohms+ pair of cans should be the perfect match.

That said the HD 25s do ok. I never use them at full volume although there isn't much headroom left (maybe 10dB only) when I take them to the max my ears take before sending out distress messages.

So it's weird really. If you matched the Ultralite by the technically ideal impedance they probably won't be loud enough for everybody. If you use lower impedance cans you get the volume but not the accuracy.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

I used to have 2 really good sets of Sony headphones, closed type. I forget the model by now but they were both the same...somewhere like in the $120 (US) range give or take.

They were killer and I definitely appreciate the perceived bass response in that type of design, without doubt.

Looking on Amazon, your HD25 has got to be some type of goodness. heh heh

Our K701/K702 has less of that "perceived" bass response, but it's nothing that a little post eq like on an amp or in software can't easily make up for.

Don't forget, the AKGs are "reference".

Keep it loud. :)
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stephentayler »

Sony MDR 7506 - still my favourites after 20 years - they are 63ohm and sound great with the Ultralite. I generally use a high end spl headphone amp, but when I got the Ultralite I was impressed with its headphone output.

Only issue with them is that the earpads wear out, and Sony charge a ridiculous amount for replacements. I've tried cheaper alternatives, but they have a detrimental effect on the sound - the cheap ones from ebay are slightly too small and seem to decrease the bass response. Sennheiser make some nice velour ones that fit perfectly and are much more comfortable, but they seem to increase the low end! Not helpful, I use headphones quite a lot as a reference when I'm mixing.

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
k_trout

Post by k_trout »

i read about the slightly weaker bass but
james brown (70s recordings)and sashas involv3r beg to differ lol
so much bass i was shocked

loving the 702s with the hybrid,

and i thought long and hard about getting the 701s cause they were the same headphone but
i knew i would just curse the cable being attached :)