MIDI playback setting for KORG Triton LE in DP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Vinz Clortho
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI playback setting for KORG Triton LE in DP

Post by Vinz Clortho »

I'm trying to configure my MOTU 828 mk2 and KORG Triton LE with my Macbook Pro in Digital Performer 7.24. When I record the MIDI part (from my KORG) and go to play it back it doesn't play the sound I recorded it with on the keyboard? Instead it plays some default synth setting.
torrentg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI playback setting for KORG Triton LE in DP

Post by torrentg »

I don't play keyboards but I really really wish I did and had one. Maybe soon, who knows? :)

So best to wait for someone that knows better to answer you, but also maybe I could possibly help if I don't actually end up steering you in the wrong direction entirely. heh

I think you should record regular audio and not the MIDI if you want what you say. You need to connect the MOTU to the audio ports of the keyboard instead.

What you could probably do is record BOTH MIDI and audio, so this way, you can manipulate the MIDI any way you wish after recording it, on the computer, AND ALSO retain the sound of the keyboard too.

Hope this helps.

You could probably find software to make wicked sounds out of the MIDI.
resolectric
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI playback setting for KORG Triton LE in DP

Post by resolectric »

Vinz Clortho wrote:When I record the MIDI part (from my KORG) and go to play it back it doesn't play the sound I recorded it with on the keyboard? Instead it plays some default synth setting.
MIDI parts contain no audio. Just the information of what keys you pressed, what strength and other technical data about your playing. Not your sound.

So, after you record your MIDI track you have to send that track's output through MIDI Out back into your Synth's MIDI In.
The synth will replay the audio through its own outputs. Remember: audio was not recorded. Just MIDI.

Advantages:
1. you can record your part and then edit, adjusting all the data in it, correcting wrong notes, adjusting velocity, touch, adding sustain and whatnot.

2. you can play your part with any other sound you decide afterwards. You can even use a different instrument.
As you know, if you had recorded the audio, that would be it. A Piano sound would never become and Organ sound, right? With a MIDI track you can do that.

So, explore your software and hardware and get a MIDI cable to connect your interface's MIDI Out into your synth's MIDI In.

Enjoy.
Paulo Miranda - AMPstudio
Silence is the new loud.
©