M5 3 sample start and end markers

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Filament
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

M5 3 sample start and end markers

Post by Filament »

I have just in the process of learing M5 for the first time, but in the user guide it tells me to drag the sample start and end markers to move them, but they wont move when I try to drag them. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be grateful. Thanks.
cbird1057
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: M5 3 sample start and end markers

Post by cbird1057 »

This is sort of a pain in M5 because the cursor ends up making a selection instead of grabbing the start or end. I've had better success grabbing from exactly where the letter S or E is, but even then it is difficult to be accurate.

One thing that is slightly inconvenient is that the letter S covers the beginning of samples so you can't really set precise starts. Maybe there's a numeric entry option I haven't located yet?
Two 27" iMacs, (1) 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo with 16GB RAM running DP 8.0.5 + VE Pro 5 64-bit Server, (1) 3.4 GHz Core i7 with 32GB RAM running VE Pro 5 64-bit Server only, OS X 10.8.5. VIs include MachFive, LASS, Albion, Orchestral Tools, and others too shameful to mention.
Filament

Post by Filament »

Thanks for your reply. I'll persevere with it then.
BenRicoMusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by BenRicoMusic »

Would it be possible to re-record (bounce) the sample in your DAW and leave space at the front and beginning of the sample... then import the new bounce into Machfive?

Would you then have the ability to play with the S and E a little easier?

I know this is extra work, and I've just got Machfive 3 the other day, so I don't know the program well enough to suggest anything from within the program.

I am curious to know the answer to your question, or at least find the best solution/workaround.
Filament

Post by Filament »

Well, here is an update.

If I browse for a sample within machfive 3 and drag it to the Oscillator section, until I re-select sample oscillator from the menu I can't drag the start and end points. But as soon as I select the sample oscillator I can. Weird! I guess this might get sorted out on the next update.

Anyone know if I can modulate the start and end points in the sample oscillator?
BOOMXL
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BOOMXL »

I agree. Setting of the sample start & end points is very fidgety with Machfive 3 especially because due to a Machfive GUI glitch that affects my particular set-up, I can only use the small or medium window plug-in sizes.
System Spec:
Windows 7 [32 bit]
Intel Core2Duo
4GB RAM