8.02. Still no mute MIDI notes! :(

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8.02. Still no mute MIDI notes! :(

Post by hrw »

Will it ever happen? Is it falling on deaf ears. Surely it can't be that hard...
:(
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
corbo-billy

Re: 8.02. Still no mute MIDI notes! :(

Post by corbo-billy »

It is true that it is not possible except for the DRUMS Editor.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

hrw wrote:Will it ever happen? Is it falling on deaf ears. Surely it can't be that hard...
:(
I don't know, but since this is reading more like a "gripe" or "lament" I'll move it to the appropriate forum.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Man, did you really expect this on a .0x update? MOTU themselves have said that .0x updates are by-in-large, maintenance updates. They may add a few goodies from time to time, but they're extras. Don't be surprised if your favorite new feature, which has seen dozens of updates without addition, doesn't get added.

Seriously, I can imagine mute MIDI notes might be useful, and I'm all about adding new features to accommodate for different workflows, but until then, there are about 5 other ways to accomplish the task. My favorite is to duplicate take and delete said MIDI notes.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Prime Mover wrote:My favorite is to duplicate take and delete said MIDI notes.
It is as easy AND as fast as a note mute...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Forgive me for asking, but can anyone remind me why "mute MIDI notes"
is such a desirable feature? I can't remember ever needing it myself.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm kind of glad to see David say this, because I have wonded exactly that same thing. What would "mute MIDI notes" do that you can't so with existing editing tools?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
hrw

Post by hrw »

I use Studio One as a DAW as well as DP which I've been using since DP 4. The mute MIDI notes function has become a powerful tool for me to try things without deleting them so they are still there if need be. Especially in big orchestral arrangements. You guys might have workarounds but that's exactly what they are for me. Most other DAWS have this feature I think and I've now become quite appreciative of it and dependant. I hope they implement it in the future as I know that everyone will enjoy the option of having it. Best, Haydn.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
Mario-C.

Post by Mario-C. »

Open the track using the drum edit window and there ya go, you can mute / un mute all the MIDI notes you want and apply MIDI effects to each note too.

You can also mute MIDI regions in the MIDI edit window, the one that has the piano roll ...

You can also duplicate the take you want to edit in the same track and delete the notes you want if you don't want to use the drum edit window, you can switch takes on the fly to compare your takes.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Forgive me for asking, but can anyone remind me why "mute MIDI notes"
I used it a fair bit in Cubase (when I used Cubase). You might have complicated phrase, loop it and listen to small variations by muting different notes on each pass. Or draw in new notes, then mute them if they don't give you what you expected, but you're not sure you want to delete them yet.

There are a lot of uses of this sort. You can do all of them in different ways in DP, but it's a pretty common feature in sequencers, and I'm not convinced that the alternatives are as simple and straightforward as a MIDI mute.

With audio, you have a pool of events. If you remove audio from the sequence, it's still available. There is also a mute tool for audio events. With MIDI when you delete it, it's gone (yes, there's undo, but that's not quite the same thing.) Being able to mute MIDI and audio with the mute tools would certainly be consistent with the DP design principles.

I'd like to have it. There are times when I want to try out some alternatives, and occasionally, not having it is annoying. Although it's not at the top of my list.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

My only concern is it's just one more thing to keep track of that is very hard to tell. Sometimes something just doesn't look right, and I have to go searching for why it's not right, and it takes time. MIDI mute just strikes me as a guarantee for getting confused. I'm not opposed to having it in DP, but I personally would avoid it like the plague. As I said previously, I'd rather make a duplicate take and return to if I remember... that way, the note are completely gone from the active take, no concern about figuring out why those notes that are visible just won't sound!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:no concern about figuring out why those notes that are visible just won't sound!
presumably muted notes would be greyed or blurred. Like muted bites and channels.
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

David Polich wrote:Forgive me for asking, but can anyone remind me why "mute MIDI notes"
Well, if you never make use of the "Soundbite Mute Tool", then you are hardly going to need a "MIDI Mute Tool".
But if you often find yourself clicking M on your keyboard to temporary invoke the Soundbite Mute Tool (like I do) which temporarily transform your pointer into an "X" and let you grey out every soundbite you click on muting them (like I do), then chances are that you'd like to do the same with MIDI notes (like i do).
I agree that duplicating tracks is a great workaround. It's just that I'd like, as with audio soundbite, to visualize the note that I'm trying to evaluate.
I admit, it's not a big deal, anyway I'm sure that it wold speed up this part of my daily workflow.

Long Live to DP!!! :D
Arceo
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

bayswater wrote:presumably muted notes would be greyed or blurred. Like muted bites and channels.
Of course, but MIDI events are tiny and can really only be seen by going into the MIDI edit window and going right to the event. By-in-large, soundbites are far more substantial, and it's easier to see their muted ness from a distance. Muting little individual components just sounds like a recipe for "looking for a needle in a haystack"
— Eric Barker
Eel House

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:
bayswater wrote:presumably muted notes would be greyed or blurred. Like muted bites and channels.
Of course, but MIDI events are tiny and can really only be seen by going into the MIDI edit window and going right to the event. By-in-large, soundbites are far more substantial, and it's easier to see their muted ness from a distance. Muting little individual components just sounds like a recipe for "looking for a needle in a haystack"
Yes, I agree the MIDI editor is the place a MIDI mute tool would be useful. Using it in the TO would get us into yet another debate on MIDI regions and I don't want to be the one that makes poor Shooshie suffer through that again.