Mach5 3 - Can't load program from Finder with double click

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

paulcrescendo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mach5 3 - Can't load program from Finder with double click

Post by paulcrescendo »

So - please pardon a newbie question from a long time Kontakt user who just purchased M5 3 for a project.

I need to be able to double click a MachFive file from the Finder, and have it load into the application. I cannot currently do that, I can only load files from within the program. This is a big problem for me (see below).

For example, if I create a Multi consisting of one part/program with a few samples, and save the Multi with samples and quit MachFive, then double click the newly created multi from within the Finder, the application opens to Default Multi with five empty parts. I have to subsequently choose 'Load Multi' from the wrench/spanner icon menu in order for the program and samples to load.

This is only a problem because I need to automate the opening and loading of the file for others to use on tour. The Mac must boot up and open MachFive and load the correct program and samples without any other action besides turning the computer on. (System Prefs-Users-Login Items-MachFive file)

I'm probably missing something simple and obvious, but I've been working in this for days (searching the forums and reading the manual etc). Please help!

And feel free to berate me for missing something obvious ...

Thank you in advance,
Paul
NYC
mikehalloran

Re: Mach5 3 - Can't load program from Finder with double cli

Post by mikehalloran »

This is a basic Mac OS issue. You may change the default app on any file type as long as it is supported by the application. There are two ways to do this.

1) Right-click on the file and click on Open With.
You will see the recommended applications. If MachFive is listed, select it.
You will see a check box to open all similar files in MachFive. When checked, any file with that extension will now open in that app.
If you don't see MachFive, scroll all the way down to Other - this opens your Applications Folder.
Find MachFive and select.

2) Right-click on the file and go to Get Info.
In the middle of the panel, you will see Open With. Follow the above instructions.
And feel free to berate me for missing something obvious ...
No beration necessary. I don't know how many years it took before I discovered this basic OS function.
This is only a problem because I need to automate the opening and loading of the file for others to use on tour.
Startup Items and Apple Scripts are your tools for this. Again, these are OS tools and can be used by nearly any app.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
paulcrescendo

Post by paulcrescendo »

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Unfortunately, that is not the problem. Double clicking the Multi file opens up MachFive, but Mach5 doesn't load the file's info. It just opens up to a Default Multi.

Once M5 opens, I can load the Multi just fine. Just can't double click from the Finder.

Startup items is how we usually do this kind of thing, but it won't work if M5 won't load the file.

Unfortunately this is a dealbreaker for us. I may need to recreate this file with Kontakt.

Paul
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Once M5 opens, I can load the Multi just fine. Just can't double click from the Finder.
Scripting is very powerful in any UNIX environment. The Mac is no exception. Automator and AppleScripts are the weapons of choice here. Which to use depends on the task but both are built into the OS.

You can easily program an AppleScript to run an app and load the files you want. Startup Items lets you have the script run when you boot.

It's a computer. It will do anything you can teach it. Think of Automator and AppleScripts in that fashion and you are halfway there.

AppleScript Editor is generally found in the Utilities Folder (or Applications in older OS). Automator is in the Applications Folder.

Besides Apple Help files, there are tons of tutorials and videos on the web.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
paulcrescendo

Post by paulcrescendo »

I appreciate your persistence Mike!

I started trying out different AppleScript solutions, but M5 doesn't seem to have an AppleScript dictionary of its own, and GUI scripting has the potential to break so easily in the hands of non computer-savvy users (the stage crew who will set the system up, and the classical player performing the piece). So I had to search elsewhere for an answer.

And I found a solution that works for me - I don't pretend to understand why, and I don't claim this will be the case for anyone else, I just know it works, repeatedly, on both MacBook Pros that (brand new) that are being used for this project.

The problem was that there can't be any spaces in any of the components of the file path that the Multi was saved in, including the multi's file name itself. In other words:

Documents/M5files/multiname (this works - no spaces)

Documents/MachFive files/multiname (this does Not work - 'MachFive files')
Documents/M5files/concerts/tours/multi name (this does Not work - 'multi name')

Documents/M5files/concerts/tours/multi_name (this does work - no spaces anywhere)

Any time there is any space in any component of the file path, the multi opens up with 'Empty Parts'. If there are no spaces, even if the spaces are replaced with an underscore, the multi opens fine (parts, programs, samples, MIDI channels all load in just fine).

Now I can set the multi to open on startup (SystemPrefs-Users and Groups-Login Items) and it all loads fine with one button push. As long as the iLok is in place, but I can't change that ...

Again, if someone came to me with this I would think them batty. I just know it works repeatedly for me on both systems, and that's good enough for me right now. And not a moment too soon - 1st orchestra rehearsal is Monday!

When I get a minute, I'll talk to MOTU about it.

Again, thanks for your attention. Happy playing!
Paul
nyc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's a very interesting discovery. Given that OSX is unix based and Unix abhors a %20 (I mean a space, of course) it makes some sense - or do I have the Unix thing wrong?

I have gotten to the point of not using spaces in file names, especially when they are going to others. Too many people (especially on PCs) have been unable to open files if the name has a space.

Good sleuthing. We'll see if that is applicable top all systems. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

or do I have the Unix thing wrong?
No you aren't.

OS X is somewhat forgiving in this regard but Windows never really was (not at all before XP).

Any kind of text based scripting including DDP and macros works best or at all if there are no spaces.

GUI based scripting including Automator and AppleScripts doesn't care. But that is OS X. GUI scripting requires files to be exactly where you say they are. If something is moved out of place or renamed, it won't work. That, BTW, is what happens when you don't get it right - it doesn't work. There are no other consequences.