DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

Post by Shooshie »

When DP quits recognizing clicks or keys, go to a track and try Select All (Command-A). Then open a panel window (smaller title bar than a regular window) such as the Commands Window, then see if it will close with Command-W. There is a keyboard focus issue with DP8 whereby it selectively forgets keyboard commands (while remembering others). The same thing may be happening in regard to clicks, right-click, and so on. They seem related. Just give it a try when it happens, test the keyboard commands, and if they turn out to be related, please let us know.

Thanks,
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

Prime Mover wrote:Have you noticed that the insert buttons effectively cut in half? the right side is used for loading/changing the inserts, and the left side is for opening the plugin window and moving/copying the plugins. Thankfully, the cursor changes to indicate what zone of the button you are on. It's possible the right-click-and-hold old dropdown menu only works on one side (probably the left side, which never brings up the plugin management window). This will take some getting used to, but I'm confident that I will learn to use it effectively. I actually really like the new plugin management window.

However, contrary to all other statements, DP8 doesn't feel sluggish at all, in fact, it feels noticeably snappier than DP7. I'm working on an old DP7 project, and I haven't encountered any of the slowdowns that everyone else is talking about. In DP7, I had some terrible scrolling problems at certain zoom levels, and DP8 clears that up, so I'm happy.

I am however having keyboard shortcut problems :(
Are you using 32 or 64bits version?

First of all, I'm a big DP fan, really, I'm not against DP8, I really want to make this work.

I started a clean project from zero in DP at 32 bits. It started very good, everything was working great, but in the middle of the production, it started to feel sluggish, every time I opened a new plug in, you had to wait. I had to "pitch correct" a vocal track, everything was good but at some point, the beach ball appeared and I simply can't move a note at all, every time the beach ball stopped and I tried to move a note, the beach ball came back. I quitted, re opened and the behavior was the same, beach ball and impossible to move the note in the pitch editor.

Then I close DP8, opened the same session in DP7.24 and everything was perfect, everything worked fast without a problem.

That's my story, I'm using DP8 with a MAC PRO Dual Eight Core Intel Xeon 2.93, Memory: 16gb ram.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
blue

Post by blue »

Looks like they recoded the "close all plugin windows" command to close ALL windows. So now, when I hit "option-close window" on a plugin to close multiple plugin windows, all my other windows close too. Bummer.
MP 2.93 GHz Quad :: 16 GB RAM :: OS 10.6.2 :: DP 7.11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

blue wrote:Looks like they recoded the "close all plugin windows" command to close ALL windows. So now, when I hit "option-close window" on a plugin to close multiple plugin windows, all my other windows close too. Bummer.
That's unfortunate. You'll probably have to just use the keyboard shortcut instead unless MOTU changes this. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I've spent a couple of hours tonight trying to determine whether DP8 is
more sluggish than DP7.24.

Tested on a couple of very track and plug-in heavy projects, went back and forth between 7.24 and DP8 (32 bit). I have to say, on both my Macs (2009 Macbook and 2010 Quadcore MacPro, both running 10.6.8), DP8 32 bit is NOT slower or less responsive than 7.24. Scrolling is the same for both versions of DP as well. In fact, DP8 appears to run a bit faster than 7.24, on both of my systems, and it certainly loads a project MUCH quicker than 7.24 does.

The key commands issue - I only use 9 -
Shift+A (to get the audio input meter), option+A (to change inputs and outputs), command+A (to select all), Shift+B (to get the soundbites window), command+S (to Save), Shift+C (to get the chunks window), Shift+K (to get the markers window), Shift+E (to see an event list on a track) and Shift+M (to get the mixing board). All those keycommands are working fine
for me.

I should say, I never have more than one VI instantiated at a time, ever,
and I always immediately record the VI's output as audio and then remove it. So I'm no authority on VI-heavy projects.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
blue

Post by blue »

James Steele wrote:
blue wrote:Looks like they recoded the "close all plugin windows" command to close ALL windows. So now, when I hit "option-close window" on a plugin to close multiple plugin windows, all my other windows close too. Bummer.
That's unfortunate. You'll probably have to just use the keyboard shortcut instead unless MOTU changes this. :(
I'm not sure if "option-command W" ever worked on just plugins before DP8. I'll have to check. I know it doesn't work now in DP8. For now I'll just have to close plugin windows one at a time. I'm hoping this was just on oversight and not deliberate.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Interesting thread. Given the number of people complaining about sluggishness, we have to acknowledge it is happening to a significant number of people. The fact that its not happening to everyone indicates hope for everyone, but Motu will have to track down these bugs and fix them. Spinning beach balls, etc. This does seem to me from all the comments like not one of the best releases MOTU has made. I'm sure it will all get resolved eventually.

Its not a big surprise to me that DP8 is suffering these kinds of problems initially. They made a big leap to cocoa, cross-platform and 64bit all in one release. All of those things can easily cause all kinds of hidden little problems and reduce stability of the software until they can slowly but surely find all the bugs and stabilize the software more. Perhaps they needed a bigger Beta program this time then was anticipated.

In any case, I will definitely hold off on DP8. I was excited to get it, but thanks to all of you for beta testing it for me!
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

blue wrote:
James Steele wrote:
I'm not sure if "option-command W" ever worked on just plugins before DP8. I'll have to check. I know it doesn't work now in DP8. For now I'll just have to close plugin windows one at a time. I'm hoping this was just on oversight and not deliberate.
That's not the correct shortcut to close just effects windows.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I am not experiencing any kind of sluggishness on my system, for what it's worth. Running in 64-bit mode under OS X 10.7.5, it feels very snappy, with controls responding instantly and no lag in screen redraws or, well, anything really. On my machine, it's cruising.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

It's definitely more sluggish ! Only time it looks good is when I minimize the entire left side , then my right side (mixer) snaps to life. Buffer size does nothing .

Help Motu!!??
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
red1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by red1 »

I'm running 64bit, it's sluggish for me. Plug-in windows seem to jitter and lag a little and it's really obvious when using Expose. It's pretty annoying.

Makes me wonder what's going on under the hood and if audio is being affected, too.

I'm running OS 10.6.8, 2x3 Ghz Quad Intel, 10 Gig ram.
Last edited by red1 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I know, right?

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 51#p435701
DP10.13
tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

how do you toggle between 64 bit and 32bit or is it auto?
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
blue

Post by blue »

James Steele wrote:That's not the correct shortcut to close just effects windows.
Ah, now I know why I never used a key command to close ALL plugin windows. Because I never realized there was one. Thanks for the heads up.

For those who want to know, the command is "shift-control-command w." A bit of a handful, but certainly better than closing plugs one at a time.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

blue wrote:
James Steele wrote:That's not the correct shortcut to close just effects windows.
Ah, now I know why I never used a key command to close ALL plugin windows. Because I never realized there was one. Thanks for the heads up.

For those who want to know, the command is "shift-control-command w." A bit of a handful, but certainly better than closing plugs one at a time.
It IS reassignable. If you find yourself using it a lot, maybe you have a spare F key on your keyboard. I have one of those keyboards that goes up to F19, so I have some frequently used shortcuts set up on those upper F keys.