Working with Odd Meter

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
daveswallace
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Working with Odd Meter

Post by daveswallace »

I'm writing a project in 9/4 which performer displays on the grid and time ruler in divisions of 3s - 1/1, 1/4, 1/7, 2/1, etc. However, I'm not working in groups of 3s, but groups of 4s and 5s - is there anyway to adjust for that? It would be really helpful to keep myself synced to the actual odd beat.
Mac OS 10.9
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 w/16 GB RAM
DP7.24
groove
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Working with Odd Meter

Post by groove »

I do a lot of odd-meter music and unfortunately, I've never found ways to tailor the Graphical window to better reflect them. I've tried to enter 4/4+5/4 when inserting a Meter Change, create Click Patterns or Time Formats to force the display to show a bolder line for each group of beats, the Graphical Window it will always be divided by quater or an eight.

If I'm not outputting to Sibelius for copying, I divide my odd-meter bars in 2 - i.e. 4/4+3/4 - otherwise I switch to the Quickscribe Window to get a clear view of what's, but most of the time, I just keep it as is.

Unless someone come with a solution I might have missed, this is the way I do it.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Working with Odd Meter

Post by Shooshie »

Different zooms may group them differently, but there's nothing to automatically predict where there are 4 and where there are 5 beats.

You might get some help in the form of the metronome, though. Go in and customize your beats. That's a little tricky to master, but once you figure it out, it's easy. The manual, of course, is your friend.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|