Traveler not detected on Lion

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
foebu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Traveler not detected on Lion

Post by foebu »

Hello everyone. This is my first post here: a problem with my old traveler pushed me to write. I didn't find the solution anywhere.
I was not using my Traveler since months, I think before upgrading to Lion, and it was working perfectly.

Now, I try to plug it using the firewire as bus power, the travler turns on perfectly but my Mac doesn't see it.
I tried to remove and install again the motu installer (audio setup and cuemix), but nothing changes.

Is it possible that the firewire doesn't work, even if provides power? Do you have any idea on how to solve this problem or how to uninstall every MOTU driver installed and trying to install those again? I think the only applications installed where cuemix, audio setup and SMPTE. I don't know if the installer installs something more...

Thank you ;)
foebu

Re: Traveler not detected on Lion

Post by foebu »

Hello again. I've another question: is there any way to check where could be the problem? I mean: the Traveler seems to work standalone; the firewire cable is working, if the fact that I can turn on the Traveler with the fw alimentation could be use as a proof (but I'm not sure about this fact).

So the problem could be Lion and what I've installed. What do you think about this? Any help? I tried to do a new profile but nothing changes.
Nigel Keay
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Nigel Keay »

I've got an old Traveler and it's running fine on Lion 10.7.2 with the motu driver 1.6 48575
DP10.13, OSX 10.13.6, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Dorico Pro 3.5, Sibelius 7.1.3, MOTU Mosaic 1.5, MOTU Traveler mk1.
foebu

Post by foebu »

Thank you for your answer Nigel! I tried to install your version of the drivers, but it still doesn't work. I don't know what can be.

My problem is that I don't have any other firewire device to check it. The power by firewire works well, but for the mac nothing happens, it doesn't see anything connected. :(
foebu

Post by foebu »

Hello guys. Today I installed windows 7 on a partition, just to check what happens on windows: also there the device is invisible, not detected. The standalone modality seems to work, but the computer could not see the device.

What you think should I do?
ssp

Post by ssp »

It sounds like the data bus on the firewire chip is down, the power is bussed of on a different "path", this is why it is being powered up.

If it is a standard firewire chip for example as was the one in the old 828 interface then it is possible that it can be removed via I.R rework station and a new replacement resoldered to the board (motu did offer a service to replace the faulty fw chips on the 828 unit's). On the 828 interfaces it was a stock firewire chip and they could be replaced easily. I dont know what chipset is in your unit and what the cost would be, however a quick trip to a good component level electronics engineer and they would be able to identify the fw chip and its series number, it could then be cross checked online for the data sheet for the part. Also get in touch with Motu first and see if they can take it in and check it over, if not try the option above. If I had a high res picture of the inside I could identify the chipset, check the data sheet and help you further.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
foebu

Post by foebu »

Thank you for your help, ssp! I'll bring it to a good shop, and I'll see what they say, if they have other machines where to test. I'll try to contact MOTU just now. Thank you!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Reset the PRAM. I have seen the FW bus corrupted and had this fix the issue.

If you bought AppleCare with your computer, you have a version of TechTool. Use this to see if the FW bus is working at all.

If the FW bus is working, check with another cable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
foebu

Post by foebu »

I don't have the AppleCare: techtool is available only with the AppleCare?
foebu

Post by foebu »

Hello everyone, just another thing: is it normal that with one of the FW of the Travalere, it can work standalone with FW alimentation; if I use the other one the device turns on but it blocks on showing me the version of the firmwire and I cannot do anything else.

When I use the latter in the system info about the FW disappears and at the voice Firewire I cannot read nothing: blank page. When I use the firewire that makes the device work standalone it appears:

FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Just a thought.... is the Firmware up to date? What version is it showing?

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
foebu

Post by foebu »

v 1.0.7 it should be up to date.
foebu

Post by foebu »

From MOTU they told me it's the Firewire of the Travalere as someone already suspected here. 99$ for repairing.. I think I'll do after summer.

At one point I was thinking to sell it and buy a ultralite, but it would be difficult to sell it with this issue of the FW.

Anyway, thank you to everyone! ;)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

TechTool Pro is a very useful diagnostic tool. I use it fo find problems with memory, hard drives and, yes FW busses. Once or twice a year, I use it to de-frag my hard drive.

Like Disk Warrior, I find it useless for actually fixing anything but, knowing where the problem is saves much time and headache.

Bought directly from MicroMat, v.6 runs $99 and includes a license to run on three computers. If you have an old version including TechTool Deluxe bundled with AppleCare, the upgrade price is $39.95.

http://www.micromat.com/techtoolpro?gcl ... QgodSE_lWA
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro