Drawing fader automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drawing fader automation

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It may be a holdover from the old days when sequencers were limited by how many events you could put in. That is true that you shouldn't worry about the dots, just as we shouldn't really worry about how many tracks we have. Sure, it's a bit bloated, but inconsequential in the big picture.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bolla

Post by bolla »

bdr wrote:You can select/create 2 points and then choose the trim tool and drag up and down.
Fantastic.
SHOUT it from the rooftops moment for me. :dance:
Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
bdr

Post by bdr »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bdr wrote:You can select/create 2 points and then choose the trim tool and drag up and down.
Just tried that. Very elegant solution! :)

from a very elegant man
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
bdr

Post by bdr »

Dan Worley wrote:
Thanks! That's pretty cool if the points are already drawn in.

Actually you can use it on a selection even without points..it puts them in for you!

Hit I to select the I-beam, drag and create selection, then use the trim tool (key command 'Y' in my DP but I may have changed it from the default.) It is all created before your disbelieving eyes.

I think this is the fastest as you don't even have to create selection points
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

dpdan wrote:I would not worry about all the little black dots so much as long as the end result is what you want... I was helping a friend of mine running DP and I said to him...
"don't get your panties in a wad over numbers". He's the kind of guy that wants to control everything by numeric values but has finally realized, in the end, the sound is what matters. Believe it or not I converted him :)
I appreciate the thoughts and I'm glad you converted your friend, but here on my system, there are far too many automation points being drawn in for me to use the pencil tool for this. Unfortunately, it just doesn't improve my workflow or put me in a comfortable, relaxed state of mind, and that will have a negative effect on the sound.

Thanks again, though, Dan. I do appreciate your help.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bdr wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:
Thanks! That's pretty cool if the points are already drawn in.

Actually you can use it on a selection even without points..it puts them in for you!

Hit I to select the I-beam, drag and create selection, then use the trim tool (key command 'Y' in my DP but I may have changed it from the default.) It is all created before your disbelieving eyes.

I think this is the fastest as you don't even have to create selection points
There you go! That's what I was looking for. Good job! Thank you so much for explaining that.

Now I'm kind of hooked on my square wave reshape tool thing. :lol:
DP10.13
dpdan

Post by dpdan »

just another beauty of DP in that there are so many different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'm glad you found your ticket :)
Dan
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Great suggestions.

I skimmed the thread, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but using the reshape tool with the triangle or sine flavors, along with the modifier shortcuts to sculpt the shape is totally doable too. The key to do it quickly is in the shortcuts.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

Holy moly, no more drawing dots for me! Thanks for sharing, bdr, and thanks for posting Dan!
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

When I want to quickly create 4 dots, I put the automation in record mode and select the area (where I want the dots) with the I-beam tool. With the record mode in one of the Range modes, start the transport and move the fader up or down. This will create 2 dots each near or at the start and end of the selection.

In fact if you have a lot of volume editing to do, you can just leave the transport running and use the I-beam to select, move the fader, select another region, move the fader, etc. to quickly add several sets of four points to a track very quickly.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Dan Worley wrote: - Reshape Flavor = Square
- Reshape Action = Set
- Set the Grid to half or whole notes (this just gives you some room when you're dragging before the next cycle starts. BTW, it doesn't matter if the grid is on or off, this still has an effect).
- Select the Reshape tool or hit the "R" key.
- Click under the automation line and drag right to left and adjust the height as you go. Strangely enough, If you drag left to right you cannot adjust the height.

This is the fastest method I've found so far.
I use the Reshape tip like you but instead with the flat reshape flavor. This way I can draw the exact length desired without being annoyed with the cycle length.
So, when mixing, it's a fast way to adjust volumes or any automation lines.

David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Grigri wrote:
Dan Worley wrote: - Reshape Flavor = Square
- Reshape Action = Set
- Set the Grid to half or whole notes (this just gives you some room when you're dragging before the next cycle starts. BTW, it doesn't matter if the grid is on or off, this still has an effect).
- Select the Reshape tool or hit the "R" key.
- Click under the automation line and drag right to left and adjust the height as you go. Strangely enough, If you drag left to right you cannot adjust the height.

This is the fastest method I've found so far.

I use the Reshape tip like you but instead with the flat reshape flavor. This way I can draw the exact length desired without being annoyed with the cycle length.
So, when mixing, it's a fast way to adjust volumes or any automation lines.

David
Yes!!! The flat reshape flavor is working perfectly. I thought I tried that early on and it didn't work for me. Oh well, I'm an idiot. It's working and I love it!

Thanks for that, David. That makes things even easier.
DP10.13
Grigri

Post by Grigri »

Hey Dan, I'm glad that it works for you!
DP rules! :woohoo:

One more thing I use, I hope that I can explain it clearly...
When I have created a dip,if the new volume value needs to be corrected, I select the 2 dots of the correction and while holding the shift key, I adjust to a new value. This way, the selected dots are locked horizontally. It makes it very easy to correct the value without messing the time position.
Hope that helps.

Cheers.
David
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -