What do you think of Big Fish Audio's Big Bad Horns?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
trevorallan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What do you think of Big Fish Audio's Big Bad Horns?

Post by trevorallan »

One last shot: I went back last night to look at the users forums for BRASS on Arturia's website, and it was very hard to find a really positive comment anywhere (there were one or two seemingly satisfied customers, maybe). On the other hand, I found a number of serious problems mentioned which I'd entirely forgotten. Sometimes it plays back in the wrong key! Many crashes, some complete incompatibilities with other sequencers (particular problems with DP), and many complaints about lack of support.

If they'd give it some serious work, I'd be glad to recommend it because I think the IRCAM research was probably pretty sound (no pun intended). It's as though there's a really good instrument on the other side of the Grand Canyon, but no stable bridge (interface) to get to it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan, my experience was the same. I don't do much with horns, but recently did a mock up of a 60s R&B thing. The few horns I have (GPO, Sampletank, Miroslav, EXS 24) didn't work. In the end, I used the ROM samples in my K2000! There has to be a simple cheap solution better than that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Dan, I've been using Mojo horns and those work pretty well with DP and Kontakt.
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

towerproductions wrote:Dan, I've been using Mojo horns and those work pretty well with DP and Kontakt.
Thanks, Tower. Zed mentioned that one too, and it's now the one I'm most interested in. $385. Not unreasonable but I'll have to save up for it. I've gone plug-in crazy as of late. I need to show some control. :shock:

Thanks
DP10.13
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Broadway Lites - Normally $499.99 - NOW ONLY $299 until 11 May!

Maybe I should make this a separate post, so more people see it?

I can't say whether I'll take advantage of it, as I am so happy with Sample Modeling that I'm not sure this library would do antyting for me.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

mhschmieder wrote:Broadway Lites - Normally $499.99 - NOW ONLY $299 until 11 May!
Only until 11 May? Hmm. And the full version is down from $2495 to $1595. I've had my eye on this library for a long time and never took the leap. I don't remember them ever offering any appreciable discount before.

This is major. Sadly, my VI budget is minor for a few more months.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
kgdrum

What do you think of Big Fish Audio's Big Bad Horns?

Post by kgdrum »

Frodo wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:Broadway Lites - Normally $499.99 - NOW ONLY $299 until 11 May!
Only until 11 May? Hmm. And the full version is down from $2495 to $1595. I've had my eye on this library for a long time and never took the leap. I don't remember them ever offering any appreciable discount before.

This is major. Sadly, my VI budget is minor for a few more months.
I bought Bdwy Lites when it was on sale in December for $199,for me it was the single worst purchase during the Holiday sales,can't recommend.
If I had to do again@ $199 I'd pass.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
zed

Post by zed »

I have been very unimpressed with SONiVOX products that I have bought--but not so much because I didn't like the samples. In some cases the actual samples are awesome. What I don't like are the SONiVOX players and the restrictions imposed by lack of foresight (e.g. no way to change the pitch bend range), and really poorly implemented knobs. I always wanted to stretch the upper and lower samples to extend the keyboard range and couldn't. And then their DVI players also used to crash DP, though I think that was no longer a problem in DP 7.x.

This product, however, is for Kontakt. So presumably you can get under the hood and change things like the pitch bender range and stuff.... though not necessarily. SampleModeling, as an example, has their instruments locked so that you can't get under the hood in Kontakt.

I would want to know that you can get under the hood before buying Broadway Big Band, because I don't trust SONiVOX to have made all the necessary parameters available on the front of the GUI for their instrument(s).
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8