Some Files Crash

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ejv
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Some Files Crash

Post by ejv »

After loading DP5.1, I noticed some files would crash a second or two after opening. I didn't think much of it because they didn't crash running DP5. I've since upgraded to DP7 and the same files still crash. Is it safe to assume that these particular files have been corrupted? I'm being honest when i say that i am guilty of swapping plugins, etc... while the transport is running, which i understand is a no no. Any help is appreciated. Thx in advance, ejv
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Some Files Crash

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Do they complete loading and crash on their own? Or do you have to activate the transport or other features for them to crash?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ejv

Post by ejv »

They load and you see the Tracks/Mixing Board for a half a second, then it crashes. I also noticed that when DP5 boots and it scrolls thru the plugins, it locks up when it reaches the ProVerb bundle. It just sits there displaying the "beach ball". When I move the ProVerb bundle to the trash, DP boots up fine. And those same files that crash in DP7 play fine In DP5. Thanks for your response, ejv
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Maybe they're tired.........

5.1 wasn't a good release for starters, and why do you have 7 and not use it?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

:evil: 5 wasn't good until 5.13. -- and then it was very good. It even works in Lion. I haven't needed the functionality of 7 but will likely upgrade soon as I do more with VIs. I've got 6.03 working in 10.7 also but it still sucks IMO, so I never use it.

The obvious is question: are you using plugs ( or older versions) in those files that aren't used in others? Are you calling for plugs that won't load? Antares, for example, is OS specific -- if you are calling AutoTune 3,4 or 5 in 10.5 or later, you are going to crash.

It is probably not a corrupt audio file but that is possible. Corrupt audio files are easy to fix: use QuickTime to convert SD-II to .wav or .aif or back as all three load into DP 4.61or later. There are a couple of studios whose projects I have to fix that way before I can use their files in DP. Doing this fixes the header info - the raw audio is unaffected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ejv

Post by ejv »

I just upgraded to DP7 and need DP5 until i resolve this issue. Thx again for your responses, ejv