Setting a default 'Time Format' ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Setting a default 'Time Format' ?

Post by csiaudio »

Hi,

Well I read 'time format' in the manual looking for this information but alas no luck. I would like my 'ruler' in the sequence window to default to 'real time' when I open up my sessions. I had it set up with 6.x that way but forgot how I did it and need to set 7.x up that way. I'm sure it's simple but seems what ever I try doesn't get it. Little help?

Thanks!
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
mrbillet

Re: Setting a default 'Time Format' ?

Post by mrbillet »

I usually got mad for the time it took me to change the time format everytime I opened or started a project, promptly forgetting all about it once I set it to my liking. Then I noticed the little "save time format" bit in the submenu. Oh man, it was right there all along and never noticed it.

Save your Time Format setting and save a Template. I think that's it. I think...

-Ian
MacBookPro 1.83GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM.
OSX 10.6.8
DP 5.13
MOTU 828
Tascam cassette 4trk
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

mrbillet wrote:I usually got mad for the time it took me to change the time format everytime I opened or started a project, promptly forgetting all about it once I set it to my liking. Then I noticed the little "save time format" bit in the submenu. Oh man, it was right there all along and never noticed it.

Save your Time Format setting and save a Template. I think that's it. I think...

-Ian
Hey Ian,

Well I am assuming you mean under Set up/Time Format window the little arrow thing in the top right corner? Or the 'Custom' setting? I went under 'Custom' to 'Edit Time Formats' but it didn't allow me to do anything - every button gave me a beep other than 'done'. The little arrow thing in the top right corner but when I 'save' and then open a new session it still defaults to measures or something. So if you are able to give me a little more specifics that would be appreciated. Txs

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
mrbillet

Post by mrbillet »

Sorry for being too vague.

Go to Setup in the DP Menu Bar
Go to Time Formats
Pick your prefered setup
Go to the little arrow on the upper right corner of the Time Formats window, click on it, and select Save Time Format for the given project.

Hope this clears it up and I hope it works for you. You're also on DP7 apparently so it may have changed since DP6. Once again I sound off before checking to see if we're on the same system.

-Ian
MacBookPro 1.83GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM.
OSX 10.6.8
DP 5.13
MOTU 828
Tascam cassette 4trk
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I haven't got time to look for it right now, but I seem to recall a thread about this a while back. It seems there was a problem with saving time formats in DP6 I think. Can't remember the details, but it is probably worth a search.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

Phil O wrote:I haven't got time to look for it right now, but I seem to recall a thread about this a while back. It seems there was a problem with saving time formats in DP6 I think. Can't remember the details, but it is probably worth a search.

Phil
Ah-ha! I was wondering if that was the case. I've not been able to save Time Formats but thought maybe it was something I was doing wrong.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Phil O wrote:I haven't got time to look for it right now, but I seem to recall a thread about this a while back. It seems there was a problem with saving time formats in DP6 I think. Can't remember the details, but it is probably worth a search.

Phil

Yeah seems everything I try doesn't work!

wurliuchi

Post by wurliuchi »

If the Detail fields are grayed out in the Time Formats window (I think that's what you said), have you tried clearing the Saved Time Format from the Time Format's mini menu? It could be locked to a saved time format. Just a thought.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
csiaudio

Post by csiaudio »

Ok well called MOTU support to find this out and it was a simple solution...that I would have never guessed at. Go to Setup then Time Format click on the top button for 'Real Time' and then go to the top right little arrow in the window and select 'Ignore all Project Time Formats' - click the window closed...done.

Hope that helps someone else :wink:

dtobocman

Post by dtobocman »

csiaudio wrote:Ok well called MOTU support to find this out and it was a simple solution...that I would have never guessed at. Go to Setup then Time Format click on the top button for 'Real Time' and then go to the top right little arrow in the window and select 'Ignore all Project Time Formats' - click the window closed...done.

Hope that helps someone else :wink:
Yay! This was BUGGING me.
David Tobocman
www.DavidTobocman.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

So does "ignore all project time formats" mean

ignore all time formats for this project
or
ignore time formats for all projects?

In other words, is this a setting that affects all projects that you subsequently open?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.