How do i turn audio into MIDI?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by hrw »

Hi guys just wondering how to turn a monophonic audio track into a MIDI track on DP7. Never done it but really need to asap.
Thanks, h.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
Shooshie

Re: How do i turn audio into MIDI?

Post by Shooshie »

Sequence editor / pitch layer / select track's pitch markers / copy / paste to MIDI track.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Melodyne Editor also does it:

http://www.celemony.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

wow. Never even occurred to me to try that. Thanx Shooshie. Man I wish I had the discipline to read that manual. I only ever look at it when I need to figure out a prob.
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
hrw

Post by hrw »

Shooshie wrote:Sequence editor / pitch layer / select track's pitch markers / copy / paste to MIDI track.

Shoosh
Thanks Shoosh!
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You have a manual Dan? Can I borrow it? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Walsh

Post by Dan Walsh »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You have a manual Dan? Can I borrow it? :)
:D :D

I actually just cleaned up a bit around here and found a mint condition DP 6 and DP 5 manual that I opened a few times
:rtfmmad: :rtfmmad: :rtfmmad:
iMac 3.06 i3|OSX 10.6.8|8 gig ram||DP 7.24|Motu 896HD|2 Avalon VT 737's|Presonus ADL600|Slate VCC|Superior Drummer 2|EZ Drummer|1.1.6|Kontakt Player 4.1|Steven Slate Drums EX|SampleTank 2 XTAntares ATR-1|Presonus Central Station|Neumann TLM 103|Rode NT1|Audio Technica AT 4033 X2| Rode NT-5's|and lot's of other junk
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm guilty of the same thing, Dan. When I need to figure something out, I go to the index (where I usually cannot find the key words I'm looking for), pull my hair out trying to think of what else it might be called, read a bit here a bit there, plead ignorance and post a question here hoping someone can point me to the right page. If I took the time (and it would be a good chunk of time) to read the damn thing cover to cover, I'd probably save time in the long run.

Regarding Melodyne - When this feature came out I was eager to try it. It ain't ready for prime time. Shooshie's DP solution actually works better.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I learned it here, not in the manual! :lol:
Of course, it may BE in the manual. And when I tried it, it seems like it wasn't quite as easy as it sounds. I don't remember for sure. It may have been the particular part or something; there were some "notes" that were off the charts wrong. Like 5 octaves too low or something. But I am recalling a dim memory. It wasn't something about which I spent a lot of time worrying or taking notes. It may be a lot easier than I remember. I do remember that in much less time than it would have taken me to figure it out and play it in, I had a usable part.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Coffee and twinkies go a looooong way towards reading the full manual :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:.

Coffee and twinkies go a looooong way towards reading the full manual :)

Or Hostess Orange Cupcakes. Mmmmm…. Good! That's my only weakness among all the cake-like processed products out there. It's basically a cupcake-shaped twinkie and orange frosting with white curlycues. I won't usually buy baked commercial products, not even orange cupcakes by another company, but now and then I'll see those and impulsively crave them. What do they put in those things? Heroin? I've probably read at least a few pages of the manual while eating one of those things and drinking coffee.

Shooshie
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Phil O wrote:...I go to the index (where I usually cannot find the key words I'm looking for), pull my hair out trying to think of what else it might be called, read a bit here a bit there, plead ignorance and post a question here hoping someone can point me to the right page.
you know, we could do a "stickie" or something like it about items that *ARE* in the manual, but not referenced clearly (or at all) in the index.
I'll start...
Yesterday, I wanted to mess with the default patch list for a particular (Roland) synth. I *KNEW* there was a place to do it in DP, but after checking out all of the pages that the index referenced ("Patch", "Patches", "Patch List", etc.), no luck.
Turns out what I needed was Bundles>MIDI Devices Tab>Patches. And, if I'd looked in the index for "Bundles Window>MIDI Devices Tab", I'd have found it straight away. Go figure....
BTW, in defense of the manual, doing a "search" in DP Help also didn't produce the needed results.
So like I said, the manual is full of *WONDERFUL* stuff, but it's not always a piece of "Hostess Orange Cupcake" :dance: :dance: to find what you're looking for...
FMiguelez wrote:Coffee and twinkies go a looooong way towards reading the full manual :)
for sure! those things lead you out of the control room and straight down the hall to that little room, where *ALL* good manual reading (and other stuff) is taken care of!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
melenko
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by melenko »

Thank's shooshie! As always...
MacPro 2.66 - 8Go ram-10.6.2 /DP7.2/URS plugs/Kontakt4/PlugsoundPro/StylusRMX/EZDrummer/Superior/Altiverb/Ozone4/Sonnox/etc...Neve 8801/RME ffce 800
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

williemyers wrote:Yesterday, I wanted to mess with the default patch list for a particular (Roland) synth. I *KNEW* there was a place to do it in DP, but after checking out all of the pages that the index referenced ("Patch", "Patches", "Patch List", etc.), no luck.
Turns out what I needed was Bundles>MIDI Devices Tab>Patches. And, if I'd looked in the index for "Bundles Window>MIDI Devices Tab", I'd have found it straight away. Go figure....
BTW, in defense of the manual, doing a "search" in DP Help also didn't produce the needed results.
So like I said, the manual is full of *WONDERFUL* stuff, but it's not always a piece of "Hostess Orange Cupcake" :dance: :dance: to find what you're looking for…
I found it in about 10 seconds. Page 187. How? Well, I've been tellin' you guys to do this, but I don't know if anyone takes me seriously:

If you don't see it straightaway in the index…
• go to the table of contents.
• follow the section headings to quickly zero in on the general subject matter. In this case it was "MIDI Tracks."
• Scan down the list of topics within that section. If you don't find it, keep going until you find another valid heading, then repeat.

In this case, "Choosing a Default Patch, The Patch List, and The Current Patch" all appear at the bottom of the MIDI Tracks heading. Granted, I didn't have to waste time in the index, assuming that if it had been there Willie would already have found it. So you could add another half minute to that time if you want to be technical about it. ;) But I might have gone straight to the table of contents for that one, being kind of on the periphery of our normal operations, as it were. You're much more likely to find things there.

The Contents is arranged with 13 major headings, each of which have up to 20 subheads, and then however many topics as needed under those. Very fast. Probably more complete than the index; just not alphabetized. Still, it rarely takes me any more time to find it there than in the index.

Shooshie
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Shooshie wrote:...I found it in about 10 seconds. Page 187.
sorry Shoosh, I should've explained better what exactly I was looking for.
When I said, "I wanted to mess with the default patch list for a particular (Roland) synth.", what I meant was that I wanted to add/delete/modify the default patch list that DP pulls up for a particular synth and it's extensions. Again, this was something I knew DP could do, just couldn't find a reference for it in the Index (or the Table of Contents). Turns out, everything I was looking for was on pg. 181 - Bundles>MIDI Device Properties>Patches.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me